PE Offshore 05/24

Took my buddy Devin on tiny Tim. Started fishing at the 01. Saw a dancing sail with lots of flyers. East swell 2/3, great rip around the 00 line running north and south. Did not follow, too many boats.  Continued out, found manowar around the 59 line BIGGG...Blue marlin blowing up baits behind our boat. Got out to the 56 in scattered weed and no boats around found another bird. Fish on nice fish. Gaffed the fish 5 times because the brand new gaff decides to bend at the tip. Stayed around the 57/56 line. Lost an 8 pound cow on the short. Caught two peanuts. Found another bird. This time a giant fish is blowing up on the outrigger- blue marlin. Marlin darts from the back and comes in front of the boat from right to left and goes back towards the lines. Probably a 200 pounder. Blows up on the right outrigger but does not take it. Not interested in hooking them but it was quite a sight. No hits on way in. Boat acted funny on land, idling funny and not spitting water like usual. Time to check it out. 

Replies

• The ParkerThe Parker Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Man what a day ill be out tomoroow hopefully i can find the man in blue ill troll some big stuff just in case thanks for the report good job  hope everything is ok with your boat might be fuel
  • spear40spear40 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    How big and what type of boat is Tiny Tim?  You are inspiring me to get my Key West 176 out there trolling looking at your posts.
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 611 Officer
    Parker- good luck man. I don’t think I’ve ever had a day where two marlin went after my baits. But then again, maybe it’s because I happened to be looking at my baits at the right time. 
    Spear- tiny Tim is a 18’6 1992 sailfish. Going out of the keys with a cross chop I can usually run about 23-25mph. But out here I am usually met with a 2 ft head sea. I don’t  want to get beat up and totally soaked so I trim a little and run 13-19mph. If I must I go trolling speed. Once you are out there, a south/southeast heading will take you east still because of the current. My boat handles the washing machine fairly well and I believe your key west could fair just as nice. My gunnels are not high at all. I am glad that I inspire you. Thanks for your kind words. 
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Great report STEVE even better outing , i have a question how you set up the outriggers i want to use mines, you tighten the release  clips to the max,what bait you put out of them i mostly use hoos with islanders but they create a lot of drag, advise,SPEAR you can take your boat out there i hit the 56 line out of key biscayne on good days with my 170 proline THE BIG DEAL.
    edited May 2018 #6
    Thanks Grunt- I have the clips on the loose side. Tight enough to hold the bait on while trolling then I give it a half turn more. If you get a piece of weed and it unclips- it’s too loose. If you hook a fish and it doesn’t unclip before the hook set- it’s too tight. Another tip: if you have too much outrigger rope, the pull will be put on the clip. If your outrigger rope is a tiny bit tighter, then your outriggers will bend more and there will be less strain on the clip. Too tight and there will be too much strain on the clip. Islanders are good with ballyhoo, you just have to find the right setting it sounds like. 
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,627 Captain
    Way to go Steve!!Dont you work anymore LOL
    Thanks Neal. Ha. I took two days off for dolphin this year.. April 19 and yesterday. Tiny  Tim was out there fishing  B)
  • spear40spear40 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Grunt...I do go out of Matheson/Rickenbacker when I come down from Broward so know the inner area very well.  I hardly go out of Port Everglades.  Used to dolphin fish as a kid out of the keys in my old 16ft all the time with success.   As I got older I just stayed around the patches and reef line.  When you say the 56 line....can you explain what that is and how far/deep roughly you are talking from say Fowey?
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    13 miles east south east of fowey 1200/1400 feet
  • TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 205 Deckhand
    Nice, It's not everyday you get to see Blues offshore around here👏👏
    The second one was over 100 pounds. The first one I’m not sure, but when it jumped the splash mimicked a train being dropped out of the sky
  • The ParkerThe Parker Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    I tried fri and sat only caught small dolphin then even trolled some small dolphin no man in blue but i will keep trying. I find it hilarious to see a 25 inch dolphin hit a lure half its size man there are aggressive
    edited May 2018 #14
    Guys in the keys were targetting them the past two years in July, with a little success.