Where are keeper mangroves

in this wind in Marathon?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,003 AG
    probably around docks and pilings.   They have seen it all so make sure your presentation is perfect.    NIght is probably better. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • wingbreakerwingbreaker Posts: 150 Deckhand
    edited May 2018 #3
    My secret to catching my limit of mangrove snappers in Marathon this time of year: Put chunk of ballyhoo on a hook near any structure, and wait with bail open until something runs off with it. Wait a few seconds then clamp down. Repeat this step over and over. If you have chum, even better.
  • Gooch23Gooch23 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    A little early for these guys to be on the patches.........
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,003 AG
    We still catch them on the gulf side, you just have to sort through the many MANY shorts.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,474 Captain
    in big pine at my spots
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Back to NatureBack to Nature Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Bigger bait bigger snapper try live pilch or pin fish 
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 553 Officer
    Bigger bait bigger snapper try live pilch or pin fish 
    Yup, small pinfish are the easiest to catch and they will weed out the mini snappas. 

Deep mangrove undercuts with current are a great place to catch them as well. 
  • WideSpread25WideSpread25 Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Yesterday was the first day we have been able to get oceanside this week. I put a chum bag out at the marina dock, and the next day my GF was pulling up keep Mangroves all day. They were all over the place.
  • fasttimesfasttimes Posts: 177 Deckhand
    edited May 2018 #10
    Spent the last 4 days at Bahia Honda, and due to the nasty weather spent my days working the bridges and picking away and filling the cooler with legal mangroves, yellow tails, porgys, and my new favorite fish the yellow jack. Trick was getting decent sized shrimp from the Tackle Box (big pine shops were giving us pathetic sized shrimp) and using jig heads in white and pink, weight dependent of current. Drifted back to the columns almost always ended in a hook up. 

About the yellow jacks, could have caught a boat load of them and did, but only kept a hand full after hearing they were tasty but never trying so wasn't 100% sure. Man, blackened up some last night and I will never throw another back again. Fight like champs, no limit,  and was delicious. 

• msk99msk99 Posts: 334 Deckhand
    I found that out about Yellow Jacks last year from this forum....delicious fish indeed!
  • Andyman33Andyman33 Posts: 119 Deckhand
    yellow jacks may be my favorite fish to catch and **** are they tasty - last year we coudnl't not catch them -- in february I coudln't find them???? sounds like they are around the bridges now - hopefully we can find them in 10 days wehn we come down!
    edited May 2018 #13
    We found them on the reef last year in 50+ feet at the beginning of July.  They were often the first to the party when I threw out the chum block.  Didn't know much about them, then via this forum I found out the truth.  From then on, anytime they came around we'd throw them a live shrimp and WHAMMO.
    edited May 2018 #14
    Put boat in late yesterday. Took it to rental then chummed up the back dock. 2 hours later limit of mangos and 3 huge Jack's. 1 big mango beast, possibly cubera. Was more rust colored no raccoon eyes, didn't check teeth.
    Good stuff!
  • no slackno slack Posts: 309 Deckhand
    Wow thanks for the post on chumming the dock at the rental windbrraker. Been landlocked all weekend and was only catching small mangroves off the dock.  Dropped a chumbag and the bigger fish showed up.  Nice cooler of fish.  It's great when people post helpful tips.   Thanks guys
    Keep the chum going all day and evening if possible. Send out sand/oat/chum bombs too. Limited out today as well. Hopefully can go  water soon. I bet the bite is awesome out there.
  • no slackno slack Posts: 309 Deckhand
    Yea can't wait..  Wednesday is starting to look real good.