Boat rental in marathon

Headed down this weekend and with the forecast wondering if it's better to just rent a boat instead of pulling ours down .  Looks like we may be limited on days we can get out next week.  Any thoughts and if we do rent any recommendations on who to use.   Thanks. 

Replies

• wingbreakerwingbreaker Posts: 150 Deckhand
    Captain Pips was always good to us. Sometimes they have nice parkers available. Nothing beats having your own boat though, especially when gear is concerned. All rental boats in the keys can have minor flaws/issues. I'll be there too. Bringing my boat this time :) 
  • dodger31dodger31 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I have had good luck with Vacation and Tropical in the past but their prices are up there and rising.  I am trying All Aboard in July.  Have been good to deal with so far and we will wait and see what their boats look like.  I also see a new one online called Marathon boat rentals with all Boston Whalers.  Their weekly prices are reasonable but not sure if they do a daily rate.  
  • KCBKCB Posts: 129 Deckhand
    i have switched from Vacation to All Aboard, who was just bought by vacation, to Coco's in Coco Plum. Vacation now has 80 boats to maintain. That says it all for me.
    So All Aboard was just bought out by Vacation?  That will be interesting to see how it goes.  We have a boat with them in July for 3 days.  Gonna give it a try cuz the price is decent.  Thanks
  • msk99msk99 Posts: 285 Deckhand
    I went with Pro Gear based on recommendations from this forum....hoping the weather will permit me to actually get out on the water!
  • no slackno slack Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Looking at the forecast I think I'm gonna just bring mine.  As long as there's no lightning (we got struck last year in our truck) we will fish if the winds allow.  We will be on 13th Street in KCB.   Anyone going next week I will hopefully share some reports.  
  • Andyman33Andyman33 Posts: 119 Deckhand
    We will be there June 2-7 .will.also give some reports if we can get out there
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,814 Captain
    msk99 said:
    I went with Pro Gear based on recommendations from this forum....hoping the weather will permit me to actually get out on the water!

You better hope the weather changes as Progear has strict rules/policies.  He may not even allow you to take the boat out if its too winds, and yes he tracks the boats.
    msk99 said:

Oh ya and don't go over 4500 RPM to chase down birds or anything bc that isn't allowed either from Progear.  Its stressful conbstantly staring at the RPMs when you go down the back side of a 4foot wave hoping you don't break the rules.  I guess that's why the boats are such well maintained.  But, I wish I knew all the "rules" before I rented from them.
  • JaxdawgJaxdawg Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    We will be there for a week starting this saturday.  Hopefully there will be some good days mixed in. if the lightning and wind will cooperate i think we can make it work.  
  • fredoramafredorama Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    sk018 said:
    msk99 said:

Oh ya and don't go over 4500 RPM to chase down birds or anything bc that isn't allowed either from Progear.  Its stressful conbstantly staring at the RPMs when you go down the back side of a 4foot wave hoping you don't break the rules.  I guess that's why the boats are such well maintained.  But, I wish I knew all the "rules" before I rented from them.
    Yes Progear has some rules but I found them to be the least restrictive especially when you factor in the fact I felt very safe on their boats. I had the Bluewater (loved, great ride and nice on fuel) for three weeks and the Wellcraft Scarab CC for three weeks the following year. The product is so far and away better than any other company I'll gladly accept their rules. IMO they are common sense anyway. If I recall 4500 rpm's on the Bluewater 2550 with twin 2 stroke 200 Yamaha's would get you in the 45 mph range, no chance with the other two boats I mention rented from Vacation. I think the point was to avoid having folks using WOT all the time. A few pings over 4500 as you described were not a problem nor mentioned. Previous years we had a 27 Grady from Vacation along with a Sea Chaser similar size, both boats functioned but were totally ragged out and the experience suffered. I also had to fill out some documentation with Progear regarding my personal boating experience, I'd do the same if I were in their shoes.....anyway ....too much good coffee this morning.....a great day to all!

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    no slack said:
    Looking at the forecast I think I'm gonna just bring mine.  As long as there's no lightning (we got struck last year in our truck) we will fish if the winds allow.  We will be on 13th Street in KCB.   Anyone going next week I will hopefully share some reports.  
    I'll be on 9th street and at the sand bar weather permitting
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    fredorama said:
    sk018 said:
    msk99 said:

Yes Progear has some rules but I found them to be the least restrictive especially when you factor in the fact I felt very safe on their boats. I had the Bluewater (loved, great ride and nice on fuel) for three weeks and the Wellcraft Scarab CC for three weeks the following year. The product is so far and away better than any other company I'll gladly accept their rules. IMO they are common sense anyway. If I recall 4500 rpm's on the Bluewater 2550 with twin 2 stroke 200 Yamaha's would get you in the 45 mph range, no chance with the other two boats I mention rented from Vacation. I think the point was to avoid having folks using WOT all the time. A few pings over 4500 as you described were not a problem nor mentioned. Previous years we had a 27 Grady from Vacation along with a Sea Chaser similar size, both boats functioned but were totally ragged out and the experience suffered. I also had to fill out some documentation with Progear regarding my personal boating experience, I'd do the same if I were in their shoes.....anyway ....too much good coffee this morning.....a great day to all!

We were on the 28 contender 4000 RPMs was about 31 MPH IIRC.  I think we worried too much, staring at the RPMs coming over a swell at 20 mph and one jumps up close to it.  I'm sure the rule is in place so people don't hammer it down all the time, and looking back I think we shouldn't have worried so much as you mentioned a couple pings at 4500 wouldn't have been penalized.  Better to be too careful than hit with some heavy charges I guess.

I will say, after getting the directions etc it definitely made us super careful, and cleaned it spotless everyday.  One day the winds were up and we went to about 18 feet of water to get bait for when the winds laid down.  He mentioned to us he saw us out the day the wind was posted above when we should go out but wasn't upset or anything.  We were stir crazy and just went to get bait to pen up for the next day.

As a yearly renter (usually twice a year), I would like to see a happy medium.  Just rented in Largo and the boat was complete crap and paperwork and directions took 10 minutes.  Price was low to average.  Then you have ProGear with bigger boats, high prices and strict rules.  I have never used them because the price was more than I wanted to spend.  Wouldn't it would be nice to find a good, clean 25-27 foot boat for $350-$400 that isn't a POS?  Anyone agree?
  • jwa81jwa81 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    With ProGear what kind of wind restriction is he putting out there in his "rules"? If you rent for the week do you just take it on the chin/wallet if it's blowing? 
  • Andyman33Andyman33 Posts: 119 Deckhand
    dodger31 said:
    As a yearly renter (usually twice a year), I would like to see a happy medium.  Just rented in Largo and the boat was complete crap and paperwork and directions took 10 minutes.  Price was low to average.  Then you have ProGear with bigger boats, high prices and strict rules.  I have never used them because the price was more than I wanted to spend.  Wouldn't it would be nice to find a good, clean 25-27 foot boat for $350-$400 that isn't a POS?  Anyone agree?

Tropical is exactly what you are looking for

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,004 Captain
    tropical or progear or the 25' seacat from kcb rentals- there some real peices of crap im marthon beware !!!!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KCBKCB Posts: 129 Deckhand

I agree with Dodger 100%, as I have bveen renting boats twice a year for over 10 years.

Anyone want to open up a rental boat business??  Lol!. We could make a killing by renting good sound boats.

Soda, oour house is 531 9th street. Where are you renting?

Thanks

Mike

jwa81 said:
    With ProGear what kind of wind restriction is he putting out there in his "rules"? If you rent for the week do you just take it on the chin/wallet if it's blowing? 

If the posted wind speed is a certain number maybe it was 20, you cannot take the boat off the dock supposedly.  We went and got bait as the wind laid down some.  When we returned the boat we were told "I saw you out Tuesday when you shouldn't have been"  But, that was all that came of it.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    230 9th st.   I was going to get over there Saturday morning and launch at 54th and spend the day on the water, but the weather report looks like garbage.  Might wait until that evening now.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Renting from Vacation next week.  Will report back after.
    sk018 said:
    jwa81 said:

If the posted wind speed is a certain number maybe it was 20, you cannot take the boat off the dock supposedly.  We went and got bait as the wind laid down some.  When we returned the boat we were told "I saw you out Tuesday when you shouldn't have been"  But, that was all that came of it.
    So how does it work if the wind is above the threshold speed and he says you cannot take the boat off the dock....do you get charged the full day rate?
    msk99 said:
    sk018 said:
    jwa81 said:

So how does it work if the wind is above the threshold speed and he says you cannot take the boat off the dock....do you get charged the full day rate?

I would imagine so. I think you are allowed to take it out within a couple miles of shore so bridges or something would be an option. 
    Ok, thanks, that would be the plan of attack anyways when she's rocking offshore.
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,703 Captain
    edited May 24 #26
    When I have open days you can take a  charter in a 32' world cat for less than renting a boat. Captain and fuel included.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com

. www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• wingbreakerwingbreaker Posts: 150 Deckhand
    Not sure anyone will rent a boat next week. NWS says 6-8'  :#
    Looking like its calming down by Thursday, which is when we arrive.  Not liking the West wind they are calling for Friday and Saturday though
  • guifriguifri Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    sk018 said:
    Looking like its calming down by Thursday, which is when we arrive.  Not liking the West wind they are calling for Friday and Saturday though
    I also arrive Thursday from Germany...wait and see. There are a few days for changing the wind direction.
    I rent for the week June2nd to 8th from vacation boat rentals. The boats I've rented so far, mostly were ok. Nothing special but functional. I've heard that one guy has bought all the rental companies? definitely all aboard and vacation are now the same company.
  • UFM82UFM82 Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Recent experience has shown me that you should NEVER RENT FROM MARATHON BOAT RENTAL, EVER, EVER, EVER.  Piner can back me up here. Complete POS. Amazing that a company can even rent a bucket like that.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,004 Captain
    make sure the boat has a working VHF
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]