Fuel water seperator- does flow rate matter?

MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,755 Captain
I bought a 12volt electric fuel pump and a fuel water filter/seperator.  I had water in my gas, and was determined to filter it out.   I set it up and let it pump and circulate the gas from the fuel line, and back into the fuel fill.   I let it run for ~3 hours, and would drain the bowl on the filter every 20min or so..   I did get some water/bad gas out numerous times.  I likely drained 1/2 gallon total out of the bowl.  

I expected more water to come out, and I got to thinking that perhaps maybe the flow rate from the fuel pump is too fast to allow the water to seperate in the bowl?   Thoughts?  

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    That is a possibility since the flow rate generated by your motor is really low but, it should still work, i would think. It may not be as bad as you thought.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,755 Captain
    I assumed that also.  I assume the pump was doing ~2gal/min or so, it was far faster than my outboard drinks the gas.  

I know that when I filled a glass jar with fuel, it took 10min or so for the water to seperate out...  I will likely run it again regardless, once the rain finally stops..
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    edited May 2018 #4
    Did it look like there was a lot of turbulence in the bowl? If not then it was probably doing all it could do. also I assume you were just using the regular fuel pickup, not something separate, did you have a way to rock the boat to get the fuel in the tank to move around?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,260 Officer
    When you're done with filtering add a couple of cans of gas treatment.  It'll let the rest of the water mix with the gas.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,755 Captain
    Thanks for the tips: I'll rock it next time, and add more additive and higher grade gas.  

I I did not notice turbulence or air as it was flowing thru filter, but it was definitely flowing good! 

(Prior to me doing this, I spent $$ at mechanic due to this issue.  I'm kicking myself for not trying this first...but, hindsight is 20/20!)