Rain, hi Water, central FL., bass Fishing tips,

fishonfishon Posts: 944 Officer
I am just getting back into bass fishing. We have a 3 day trip planned for next week. What tips can you share for fishing, following all this extra rain water going into lakes? Thanks in advance for your reply’s. 
Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
Live in Lakeland

Replies

• GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 726 Officer
    Which Lakes?
    1) Fish (LMB) will be in the flooded "junk". Sometimes hard to get to if it's up in the trees. If you find floating mats..pitch flip creature baits through em
    2) Look for flowing current coming from the feeder creeks
    3) Stay away from muddy feeders, look for as clear/clean water you can

Going to be tough (at least for me) when all the water disperses the LMB.

Backup plan go for Hybrid's (and schooling LMB in Lakes). More open water schooling bass easier to find and catch. Look for bird concentrations on the banks for birds actually diving and feeding

Good luck...LOTS of water has been dumped on Central Florida the past 2 weeks
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,464 Admiral
    Grizzl pretty much nailed it.

Captain Todd Approves

• fishonfishon Posts: 944 Officer
    South Kiss. What is LMB? Thanks for the insight.  
    Live in Lakeland
    GMB- giant mouth bass!  Lol 
    Live in Lakeland
    I understand bluegills are beading, what’s your favorite color creature/ Flippin bait? 
    Live in Lakeland
    edited May 21 #7
    1. fishon said:
    I understand bluegills are beading, what’s your favorite color creature/ Flippin bait? 
    https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_105573_-1?campID=1331689198&groupID=56174865594&device=c&productID=018111815&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuYTYBRDsARIsAJnrUXCWkYCZZbNk1_jBGBggU6YU9avyiYvsBG9uUiTgQCLJfK6j0RRW1uUaAsHMEALw_wcB

I prefer Blue/green, Pumpkin for most Central Florida Lakes. There is a "Okeechobee" color on allot of these flipping baits. I use a 1 or 1 1/2 oz tungsten punch rig skirt on a Trokar 5/0 65# braid ...not a jig for punching through mats. For fishing "kinda open" water I go 1/2 oz 6" worm on Braid with a 20Lb Floro leader. Fishing Pads I go with an unweighted Senko with a leader until I start getting broke off then I just go straight braid

Better have heavy braid and a heavy rod

On open water schoolies..12-15lb Floro is fine

Thanks, I got heavy equipment. Converted my dock fishing Snook rods, to Flippin rods. But went from 30 braid to 65 braid. Turns 35 inch snook it will snatch a bass!  Thanks 
    Live in Lakeland
    Lake/fishing report.
    lake water was high, but not flooded and saw no flow. But did manage a 7+ and 5+ lbs LMB. But who knows after the next few days of rain?
    Live in Lakeland
    fishon said:
    Lake/fishing report.
    lake water was high, but not flooded and saw no flow. But did manage a 7+ and 5+ lbs LMB. But who knows after the next few days of rain?
    so what technique? My guess with that size fish was flipping cover? If so..was it floating or shore vegetation? Be nice to know :smiley:
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    zoom flukes are always a good choice
  • bonebone Posts: 1,065 Officer
    Live shiners under floating mats
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 577 Officer
    i know this thread is old but the water is still VERY high all over.  I breakout my Manns Snakes, top water plastic, in water moccasin color.  It kills it.  Steady slow retrieve, no jerking, no walk the dog...slow and steady without moving the rod tip.  Flooded cow pastures or over-spills.  Also I throw live target Mice, both sizes.  My general "go-by" is if I don't hear Frogs croaking I don't throw them, so if they are croaking, throw them too.  Rodents swimming to high ground get smoked by BG-LMB and little Gators.  Can be fun when you get in the right spot.  I primarily fish the St Johns River (Puzzle lake to Lake Harney to Mullet Lake to Lake Monroe)
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!