Fluorocarbon uni to uni for bass fishing? (more familiar with offshore)

taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 708 Officer
I planned on running 20lb test with a 5-6' piece of 20lb fluorocarbon tied uni to uni... I am not sure if this is popular with bass fishing but offshore saltwater we do this a lot so we can just cut away the spot (or break off) and tie a new hook with Fluorocarbon still there. Anyway.. 20lb uni to uni or do you guys recommend different knots with lower lb test (or even not a reel on leader)?

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,436 Admiral
    edited May 18 #2
    I rarely use a leader and 6' seems excessive. I do have setsups with fluoro as the main line, no leader.

Are you planning on fishing for bass more often, or is this a question because you are planning a one off trip?  Are you using spinning reels or baitcasters?

Captain Todd Approves

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,406 Moderator
    Uni - uni is fine. I use maybe 24" of 20# flouro mostly so the braid won't tangle on the hooks of the plug. Guess in clearer water it helps with being visible. Flipping and frogs , straight braid. 6' is too much leader.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    edited June 9 #4
    i’m going to take a tarpon guys post about “never too long of a leader” and try 3 feet of 15lb floro to 10 pp to live line that shiner. hopefully the lob flight will have started and pull that knot through 
  • Salty4LifeSalty4Life Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I,like most guys on Okeechobee fish straight braid no leader. In some cases when the water is really clean I use straight fluorocarbon. The only time I use a leader is on spinning rods. I use 4-5 foot leader tied with an FG knot. That not is so small it flys through the guides like it’s more there.