Best boat for inshore/nearshore gulf

NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 507 Officer
I'm looking to upgrade my 18' Action Craft to a 22-24' bay boat or similar style boat. I've been looking around at quite a few boats but want to get some input here. The boat needs to be able to get in shallow enough to fish the mangroves and oyster bars of pine island sound/estero bay, while being capable of handling a 2/3' gulf chop for running to nearshore numbers and the occasional grouper run. Needs large livewells and a good fishing platform of course. Looking in the price range of action craft, Pathfinder, etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    Love my 22 pathfinder t. I fish inshore, nearshore and up to 40 miles offshore.  3 livewells (. 50 gal, 40 gal and 5 gal). Gets pretty skinny and handles chop well. I think it checks your boxes. Good luck
    You should have been here yesterday
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,176 Captain
    If you get a bay boat that runs good in a real 2-3 chop, it won't float very shallow. Bay boats offshore are a 2' or less  day. Yes some ride better than others, but there's always a trade off. You can have skinny, or good ride. Both aren't happing. The closest thing built for both would be a Gause Built, or another similar built boat. 
  • TaylormadeTaylormade Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    pottydoc said:
     The closest thing built for both would be a Gause Built, or another similar built boat. 
    Yep, just drop $160k on a Gause and go offshore in the morning and float in 12" in the afternoon. :smiley:
    I definitely only go offshore in 2’ or less. Occasionally bigger seas pop up, and I usually feel plenty comfortable. But we watch carefully when going offshore 
    I definitely only go offshore in 2’ or less. Occasionally bigger seas pop up, and I usually feel plenty comfortable. But we watch carefully when going offshore 
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 507 Officer
    I would never plan to be out there in over 2' waves, but we all know how the gulf works, you don't get to choose what conditions do once you're out there. I also know that 3' chop in a bay boat will pound the crap out of me. All I meant was the boat must be safe and somewhat dry in those conditions. I'm young, I can handle the beating once in a while. However this also means a budget fit for Gause or even Yellowfin here is totally out of the question. Looking for a reasonably priced boat that will do the job. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,508 Admiral
    Stott Craft makes a 2160 that looks like a very good boat.   My other choice would be a Hanson 23' but that's going to run you into the $50s. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 220 Deckhand
    Anything that will go offshore will cost over $50k,  the motor alone is in the 20-25K for a 200hp.  If you buy an older boat you need to be very careful about the power unit if you are going 10 or more miles off shore.  The  20-22 ft pathfinder is a very good option good quality for the price.
  • HalbraunHalbraun Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Why not consider another Action Craft?  I have their 1910 Coastal Bay.. people say the 2110 is a lot roomier, but I love mine.  Soft ride, gets shallow.. quality is there..  just a thought if you like your current AC as the bottoms a fairly similar..
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 575 Officer
    The Hanson 23 is a very wide, stable, and shallow draft boat. You should look at one.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,508 Admiral
    CaptJ said:
    The Hanson 23 is a very wide, stable, and shallow draft boat. You should look at one.
    They're making a 26 that looks [email protected]
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 358 Deckhand
    Check out the Pioneer brand boats. I did some research and bought their 20 foot last year. It's been a great boat and the customer support is remarkable. 
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • starzofchaosstarzofchaos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Yellowfin 24 Bay, Tidewater 22 Carolina Bay, Sea Pro 228 or 248 Bay. Crevalle Boats 24 Bay would be a really good fit as well. I've spent a few years looking at boats. Especially the fit and finish on these boats are excellent. These boats are at the top of my list. ( I just bought a Sea Pro 228 Bay)  
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 168 Deckhand
    I would take a hard look at the Panga 22 Boca Grande.  With a jack plate and trim tabs you could run pretty skinny and if you got caught offshore you can slow down in that boat and take some bigger seas safely.

Since you live down there they probably would give you a test ride or something if you were interested.

And you get it custom built just the way you like it.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,004 Officer
    I do what you are describing in a 18 Egret. Look at the 2011 moccasin by Egret boats.
    Most definitely ride on a panga before you consider. They aren’t for everyone. They are super tippy and have little storage. I wouldn’t own one if it was given to me