Yamaha YES Coverage...what’s your opinion?

Sailfish2660Sailfish2660 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
Just purchased a brand new boat and dealer is asking if I am interested in buying the extended coverage for the engine.  The engine is a Yamaha F200 and the YES Plan is an extra $2k. Would you buy it?  Why or why not?

Replies

• tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    Probably if I was to buy a new boat...which I'm not, been there done that, I probably could get talked into it Have bought 2 new boats, my happiest days were when I sold one and finished paying off the other one.
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 148 Deckhand
    I don't really know what YES covers, but how much in repair costs do you expect to experience within the coverage period? If greater than $2000, then buy it.

Knock on wood, with proper maintenance, I don't expect any major repairs, so it's not right for me.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    Can I ask a preliminary question?   Is this something you can purchase outright or is it added into your financing?  Because I would purchase it, but I would not finance it. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Sailfish2660Sailfish2660 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Yes. Can be purchased outright or financed. You can also buy at anytime before 3 year factory warranty expires. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    It's an extended service correct?  not a warranty.    So i imagine that it would be more beneficial to charter captains who incur a lot of hours on their motors rather than the weekend guy who might put 50hrs on his boat per year.    I'd have to learn myself more on the cost benefit before giving any kind of educated opinion.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 648 Officer
    I got the extended warranty when i bought my four wheeler for obvious reasons. Not sure i would do it with the outboard.
    Jason :USA
  • FlecFlec Posts: 445 Deckhand
    I would pass on it. Yamahas don't need  extra coverage. If they run fine after 3 years, they're most likely to run fine for another 5 or 6.  I have owned 2 Yamahas and never needed warranty work. Make sure to do your maintainance!
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,071 Captain
    It's not a warranty, it's an insurance policy by a third party. And don't let the koolaid drinkers fool you. Yam isn't any better than any other new engine out there. Not saying they're bad, just not better. I've got to experience yamaha CS and reliability first hand with a set of F225's. Neither was impressive.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 449 Deckhand

In the past 14 years, I’ve had 4 Yamaha engines ( 8, 115 & 200 4 strokes and a 250 2-stroke). In that time, I had a trim pump replaced (on the 250) and two trim rams rebuilt (both on the 115) due to hydraulic fluid leaks. These were all completed under warranty but would not have cost anywhere near the price of buying a repair insurance policy. I don’t buy extended warranties for anything and only take the YES warranty when it is offered as a promotion from the manufacturer.

Like has been said, it is an insurance policy. Buying it depends on your adversity to risk level. If you buy it you know you've spent $2K versus MAYBE something will happed so you spend MORE than the $2K the policy costs.

• PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 163 Deckhand
    I buy Yamaha outboard(s) during winter when they have a promotion offering a no cost YES warranty. Thankfully, I have never had to use it.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 328 Deckhand
        If warranty free and Yamaha does offer that mainly when
    a major boat show on then fine.Would not pay for warranty
    on a 4 stroke Yamaha otherwise.
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Soda Pop, Commercial aka Charter Capts. not eligible for YES plan..

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 559 Officer
    I ran my 2 stroke 150's for 20 years and never had a warranty problem to deal with. Just bought new 4 strokes and am not going with the extended warranty(s). I do maintain my engines above and beyond what is specified, but also use them alot.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,719 Captain
    First I'd make sure my dealer isn't trying to to screw me over.  Yamaha is running a promotion where you should be getting 2 years of YES for free or a $1,500 discount.
    https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/utility/news/company-news/yamaha’s-key-to-reliability”-sales-event-gives-cu
  • JayOrtizJayOrtiz Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    First I'd make sure my dealer isn't trying to to screw me over.  Yamaha is running a promotion where you should be getting 2 years of YES for free or a $1,500 discount.
    https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/utility/news/company-news/yamaha’s-key-to-reliability”-sales-event-gives-cu
    That is always a great way to tell if a salesperson has your best interest in mind.

Find out what you think they might not want you to know, and then ask them to give you that information.

If they don't tell you what you already know, they are either not knowledgeable or they are dishonest. Both of these would be a problem.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 216 Deckhand
    I bgt my  150 Yamaha at yr end and got the YES extension for free.  I have owned 4 Yamahas 2 stroke and 4 strokes no issues that would require a warranty.  My 150 2 stroke died at 20 yrs from perforated water jacket ,which no extension would have paid  for.  Get it as part of the deal or leave it  alone.