Standish Cobia

dontezumadontezuma Posts: 136 Deckhand
Vilano was nuts this morning. Boat line almost to A1A when we got there just before sunrise. Hit the beach for pogies. Two casts had the livewell and a 5-gallon bucket full, and the chop was making it unlikely to spot anything on the beach  so we headed to Standish.

I chummed a bunch of the pogies once I anchored up and dropped some lines. After about 45 minutes, a rod took a big dip. I grabbed it and set the hook, and felt a head shake and a pull back down. About ten minutes later I gaffed my first cobia ever. Nice 40". 

Fishing partner got seasick, so we headed in after that. Water was still pretty dirty ten miles out and the chop and the overcast made it hard to see much on the water, and I saw no top water activity at all.

There was a boat that had divers on it and they said visibility was practically zero down there, so hopefully that will clear up soon. 

Replies

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,035 Officer
    that will eat good!  congrats!
  • dontezumadontezuma Posts: 136 Deckhand
    It sure did. 
  • dontezumadontezuma Posts: 136 Deckhand
    I pan fried with a lemon-caper sauce Sunday night and did a cotija-crusted thing tonight, which was great.(Cotija is a Mexican cheese that's kind of like grated parmesan  only more moist)

Ingredients
    4 servings of Cobia (that's 1.75 pounds for our family - a pound for me and 4-ounce portions for the other 3)
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Mexican crema
    1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
    1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2/3 cup panko bread crumbs, non-seasoned (really, whatever it takes to coat your filets) 
    1 teaspoon Southwestern seasoning (or more, if you're sassy) 

Instructions
    Set up your grill for indirect heat and preheat grill to 400°F.  Alternatively, you can use your oven at the same time and temps.
    Mix together the mayo, crema, Cotija, cilantro (or parsley), oregano, and pepper flakes to form a paste.  Slather mixture all over the fish and place on a raised rack over a quarter sheet pan.
    Mix together the breadcrumbs and Southwestern seasoning.  Roll the filets in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing enough to get it to stick. 
    Place the fish, rack, and sheet pan in the grill (lid closed) or oven and cook until the fish turn golden brown reach an internal temperature of 140°F, about 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick the filets are. 
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,298 Officer
    Boom!! Sounds delicious!
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,035 Officer
    does sound good!  thanks for sharing!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,618 Captain
    Nice slab
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you