replacing older fuel hoses

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,669 AG
I have done quite a few things under the cowling, rebuilt the fuel pump, carbs, new fuel filter, etc, anyway i've taken off some of the hoses multiple times and i but stainless C clamps on them, and of course that was a mistake they started cutting the lines, so I went to an auto parts store and got some fuel injector lines same size 5/16 and was going to replace, but when i started, the new lines were crimping and kinking, they're too rigid, i noticed they have string woven in them that the originals do not have.    

I ended up just trimming the originals and reinstalling them but using zip ties instead of clamps to hold them in place.    Has anyone else tried to replace fuel hoses and had the same issue, is there another kind of hose I should be getting?   I know they weren't marine but a fuel hose should be a fuel hose.   
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• BottomFedBottomFed Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    The zip ties will eventually become brittle from ozone and break.  Talking years but it happens.  Also, if they need to be removed they have to be cut which usually cuts the fuel line too.  Hose clamps shouldn't pinch into the fuel line unless they're the wrong width, over-tightened or at an angle from covering the sealing ridge.  A 1/2" width SS worm drive hose clamp should work fine.  It can be re-used and doesn't risk cutting the line to remove it. Just leave a gap between the sealing ridge/barb and the clamp.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,669 AG
    Yesterday i replaced the zip ties with new ones, i have a small snipping tool that will cut them without cutting the hose.  I probably had the C clamps too tight because the one that cracked had gouges in it from the worm drive.  I'm bringing the unused hose with me just in case anything happens.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,823 Captain
    Zip ties will last a long time under the cowling, esp the black ones. As stated, the ss clamps will work if not over tightened. I don't know what kinds hose outboard manf. use but it is more flexible than auto hose. Gates makes a fuel injection hose. It is rated for a lot higher pressure (225 PSI), #27335 is a 24 inch piece of 5/16. You may want to look at it. It seems not to kink as bad as regular barricade fuel line.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    There is very little pressure on this one, it's a mechanical fuel pump, carbs, and it holds pressure when i prime and then run now so it's all good, but i'm definitely going to go to Nobles when i get back from my trip and get a replacement hose, i've got spare parts to get me through this trip and i have removed all the damaged lines for now as well.   

Just using it as fuel for the fire with the Mrs...."you know hon, i wouldn't have these issues with a brand new 4 stroke".   
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,823 Captain
    Not saying you need the higher pressure rating, it just may not kink as easily. Comes in a easy open package so you could look/feel/kink it before buying.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    Slough said:
    Not saying you need the higher pressure rating, it just may not kink as easily. Comes in a easy open package so you could look/feel/kink it before buying.
    definitely going to do that next time.  
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 501 Officer
    Hey Soda,used that approach with my Honey."I just have
    too small a boat to take your relatives out fishing when they
    come to visit."After awhile one day she says"Are you ever 
    going to get that stupid boat you keep talking about?"
       My feet never hit the ground running down to the boat dealer!

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    They make zip ties with a curved end to use as hose clamps.
    oeitker clamps, crimp on the hose and are used by alot of manufacturers.
    If using worm gear style hose clamps for hose, make sure to use the ones with smooth walled bands.
    only use zips, under the cowling. All fuel lines should be double clamped, from the tank to the cowling on all boats with mounted tanks.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew