Selling Coral

greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 727 Officer
 I have 2 aquariums and want to sell some of my grown out coral frags to help off set the cost of running the aquarium. None of the corals in my tank were harvested in FL. Have all been purchased from local aquarium stores, online or traded for with other hobbyists. I do not have receipts for most of them but i believe most are non native to FL anyways. Do you need permits to sell these corals or are the permits only for sale of harvest corals in FL. Just making sure I am within the law so FWC doesn't come knocking like I have heard of happening to others. A ruling on fish would be helpful too so as fish eventually outgrow my tank I can rehome them. 

Replies

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 430 Deckhand
    If it's about selling coral as opposed to harvesting coral, the department of agriculture may be the best place to look.
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,143 Officer
    I think it is legal, but FWC used to do sting operations and come to people's house to check.  If they find anything else illegal when they are there, (ie drugs), you have problems.  
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 727 Officer
    If it's about selling coral as opposed to harvesting coral, the department of agriculture may be the best place to look.
    I'll have to ask them. I know FWC enforces the rules.
    I think it is legal, but FWC used to do sting operations and come to people's house to check.  If they find anything else illegal when they are there, (ie drugs), you have problems.  
    I'm fine with being checked. Just want to make sure I am within the law on the corals since I do not have receipts for them all. Without a receipt that I purchased it I have heard of FWC officers claiming you can't prove it wasn't harvested in FL.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,663 Admiral
    Correct me if I'm wrong but our legal system is they need to prove you broke the law as in they need to prove you harvested it in Fl waters, not you needing to prove your innocents  
  • SofthammerSofthammer Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    It is 100% legal. I have been selling and buying for over 15 years and 99.9% of aquarium corals are from the South Pacific. With the exception of a few gorgonians none of our aquarium stuff come from Florida waters. 
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,773 Admiral
    Its legal!
    And you most likely don't have any Florida coral species anyway
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    You're A hobbyist selling frags. Peg them, put them up for display.
    Put A price on the items. What's the problem?  :)

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Aquaculture
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 617 Officer
    edited June 12 #9
    Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the tampa bay area, contact this guy
    https://www.loaquariums.com/

He has been working on a cooperative for hobbyist to grow out coral, among other things aquaria related (or trade/sell the coral/fish they've already been growing out already in their tanks, like you).