Mako 282

tank85tank85 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
looking to repower my 2000 282 mako, currently have 2000 225 optimaxs’. Was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the makos and 4 strokes. I know they are heavier and being my boats max hp is 450, was curious if they had to reinforce the transom or anything else. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    biggest issue would be the self bailing ones. Easy to check, take posted weights, don;t forget the oil tanks, and see what the weight difference will be and add that weight at the transom. A 2000 boat meant for twin v6's shouldn't have any issues with four strokes. 

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,607 Moderator
    Try and get a ride on a boat with ETEC on the transom. Well worth a look.
    larrywitt
  • Tarpon MonoxideTarpon Monoxide Posts: 519 Officer
    Mercury Marine has a new redesigned 225 HP Four Stroke (not Verado) out on the market that weights LESS than the same shaft length of the Mercury Optimax 225 Two stroke. The new 3.4 liter Mercury 4 stroke weights about 150 pounds less than the soon to be discontinued Mercury 225 Four Stroke Verado that weights in about 635-650 pounds.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,729 Captain
    I repwered a 282 from Merc EFI's to Yamaha F225's. The added weight made no difference. The boat was considebly faster, 7-10 mph at wot with the Mercs. It plans quicker, also. The Yamahas were waaaaay better on fuel, close to 50% better. The Yams also had major issues  with the electrical system. It was covered under warranty, but still took forever for Yam to make right. A set of new Suzukis or E Tecs would be sweet on that boat. The Mercs wuold probably be great, but they're brand new, so personally, I'd want a proven design hagnging on my boat. There's a long wait for the bigger Yams right now, plus the Suzis will be considerably cheaper. Like in the $6000.00 and up range. Check with Outboard Specialties and International Marine for prices, yhey both have great prices, and great reputations.