Home Northeast (3 Forums)

Red snapper invasion

shallowvshallowv Posts: 440 Deckhand
I can't believe I am going to be this guy, but enough is enough.  The number of 15, 20, 25 pound red snapper out there is nothing short of ridiculous.  There seem to be almost no other species a lot of the time.  It takes a lot of time and resources to fish, its a labor we love, but not being able to grab a fish for the table is wearing on me.  It just seems like it's gone too far.  The gulf side gets a 40 day season and we get 2 Windows with 25 mph NE winds.  Kings will be fun, the reds, trout and flounder are great in the creeks, but these restrictions on the most prevalent fish in our 10-25 miles off fishery is a real bummer.  

Replies

• C2 H5 OH manC2 H5 OH man Posts: 169 Deckhand
    I totally agree. They are coming up to hit baits on the surface. Down riggers have to be pulled way up. Obviously the Gulf side has better Lobbyists and Legistlators than us on the Atlantic side.   This is ridiculous. Open it up for 45 days , one fish per angler, 4 per boat max... 
    This wouldn’t hurt... 
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    I totally agree. They are coming up to hit baits on the surface. Down riggers have to be pulled way up. Obviously the Gulf side has better Lobbyists and Legistlators than us on the Atlantic side.   This is ridiculous. Open it up for 45 days , one fish per angler, 4 per boat max... 
    This wouldn’t hurt... 
    What he said. 
    We hooked one on a flat lined pogy slow trolling yesterday and I’m sure if I had enough to live chum could have got them all over the surface. 
    FishJax Charters
    www.fishjax.org
  • seapro15seapro15 Posts: 207 Deckhand
    I don't understand why they don't just go to a tagging system? Sell us tags that are good for 1 year and let us choose when we want to harvest a snapper. Think of the money they would make if we could buy snapper tags for $10 each....
  • ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand
    whats wrong with being "this guy".  NOAA and this Atlantic red snapper situation is a joke.  More people need to get up in arms about it, IMO.  With all the things this state is dealing with at the moment fishing and water quality related, its hard not to be fuming..........
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    That fact that they set no size limit on this season just shows how much of a joke it is, open them up with a reasonable slot and limit and call it a day.
  • jake32244jake32244 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    still open in state waters...always carry a bucket of state water with you
  • red_snapperdatared_snapperdata destinPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    seapro15 said:
    I don't understand why they don't just go to a tagging system? Sell us tags that are good for 1 year and let us choose when we want to harvest a snapper. Think of the money they would make if we could buy snapper tags for $10 each....
    You have a tag system now, just no tags. Tags will be bought up by environmental groups and none fisherman only to sell tags at higher rate. By changing the MSA to counting fish they screwed fisherman,  counting fish makes bycatch go through the roof, shortening seasons. The gulf might have longer seasons ,but the data is just as horrible and misleading. They only did enough surveys to capture .001% of red snapper being caught this year. Although they say the quotas were caught is misleading the American fisherman and we do not believe any quota was caught in Atlantic or Gulf.  
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    As long as idiots keep buying the "conservation" garbage they deserve to spend 400$ a trip to catch a b liner and sand trout to take home.

C2 H5 OH man said:
    This wouldn’t hurt... 
    seapro15 said:
    By these comments I can see how fast people can be conditioned.  You are almost able to walk on these fish yet begging to have a month window out of 11 or pay the govt for the fish.  They must be laughing.
  • toomertoomer Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Civil disobedience is always an option.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,153 Officer
    Do you all ever catch small red snapper?
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    buddy did last week, it was about 22 inches.
  • deepcdiverdeepcdiver Posts: 248 Deckhand
    As long as idiots keep buying the "conservation" garbage they deserve to spend 400$ a trip to catch a b liner and sand trout to take home.

C2 H5 OH man said:
    This wouldn’t hurt... 
    seapro15 said:
    By these comments I can see how fast people can be conditioned.  You are almost able to walk on these fish yet begging to have a month window out of 11 or pay the govt for the fish.  They must be laughing.
    I dive the area regularly and have for the pat 17 years. The amount of Red Snapper on our offshore wrecks and reefs is mind boggling. They are pushing the Grouper off of areas that held grouper for years. The idea that the number of Red Snapper as a whole has dwindled or is in trouble is nothing but baseless rhetoric! Show us the facts!
  • T.granthamT.grantham Posts: 14 Deckhand
    Would never do this , but a hot grill and filets drizzled with butter mixture of garlic , herbs , johnnies seasoning , pepper might possibly taste great.
  • Graphix GuyGraphix Guy Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Here’s the reply FCW recently sent me regarding my concern with the current red snapper regulations:

Dear Mr. F,

The Governor's Office of Citizen Services forwarded your correspondence to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).  We appreciate the opportunity to respond.  I understand your frustration with the limited recreational fishing opportunities for red snapper in Atlantic federal waters.  We commonly hear concerns about limited access and comments on the health of the Atlantic red snapper fishery from anglers in your part of the state.  This is because the epicenter of the Atlantic red snapper population is off northeast Florida. 

For reference, the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council (Council), a body of appointed stakeholder representatives, manages fisheries in federal waters (3 miles offshore out to 200 miles) off Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina, and NOAA Fisheries implements the federal regulations.  FWC manages red snapper in state waters (from shore to 3 miles), and the Atlantic state waters red snapper season is open year-round.

Although the red snapper stock off northeast Florida seems healthy, the population is still rebuilding after decades of overfishing.  The Atlantic stock was first assessed in 2007.  That assessment and three subsequent assessments all produced similar results.  Red snapper has been overfished since the early 1970s, meaning the population is smaller in abundance and there are fewer large, old fish than is optimal.  Overfishing, taking more fish than is sustainable, began in the 1960s and continued through 2014.  Federal law requires the Council and NOAA Fisheries prevent overfishing and rebuild overfished stocks. To do so, the Council and NOAA Fisheries have restricted recreational and commercial fishing. 

It appears these restricted fishing seasons have been successful.  Recent assessments and scientific data collection show the same thing that you are observing on the water: the Atlantic red snapper population has been increasing in abundance since 2010 and there are more fish in the population than there were in the 1990s.  Stakeholders have also reported seeing more red snapper at the fringes of their range, for example in the Florida Keys and North Carolina. 

Unfortunately, relatively few fish in the Atlantic red snapper stock are older than 10 years, so there are still too few old fish in the population.  Red snapper can live over 50 years, which means it will take time for the population to fully rebuild.  It is important to have older fish in the population because older, larger females contribute far more eggs than younger, smaller females.  For example, a single 24-inch female red snapper (about eight years old) produces as many eggs as 212 17-inch females (about 5 years old).  To have a sustainable red snapper stock, there should be an abundance of older, larger fish to maximize the number of young fish coming into the fishery.

One thing recent assessments have brought to light is that the absence of data from sustained recreational and commercial fishing seasons has increased the uncertainty of assessment results.  Meaning, an assessment could tell us overfishing is occurring, but cannot estimate the magnitude of overfishing because we lack sufficient data.  Sustained recreational and commercial fishing seasons provide data important to stock assessments, such as the amount of fish harvested or the length, weight, and age of harvested fish. 

FWC is addressing the lack of data for stock assessments by funding and conducting cooperative research with fishermen and intensively sampling recreational fisheries when they are open.  Our efforts to collect additional data have already provided benefits for fishermen.  After two years of no red snapper harvest in 2015 and 2016, data produced by FWC provided the Council and NOAA Fisheries enough evidence of stock rebuilding that they allowed a 2017 season through emergency action.   The Council then amended the rules for red snapper seasons to allow recreational and commercial fishing for 2018 and beyond.

I understand that you are not satisfied with the status quo of recreational “mini-seasons” for red snapper.  The Council and NOAA Fisheries set seasons based around a quota, which is an amount of fish that may be harvested without jeopardizing continued stock rebuilding or causing overfishing.  Until a new stock assessment shows the quota can be higher, federal recreational fishing seasons will likely be limited to a few days each year.  The next Atlantic red snapper stock assessment is scheduled to be complete in 2021.  The research funded and conducted by FWC will be vital to ensuring the next assessment can produce more accurate results.

In the meantime, the Council is looking at other ways to promote Atlantic red snapper rebuilding, such as requiring fishermen to have a descending device and prohibiting offset circle hooks.  Descending devices can reverse the effects of barotrauma, so by using a descending device, fishermen can increase the survival rates of red snapper they release.  Current rules require fishermen fishing north of 28° North latitude to use circle hooks.  Prohibiting offset circle hooks in this area can reduce hooking injuries and increase survival of released red snapper.  If you would like to learn more about the Council’s efforts to help rebuild red snapper, please visit: http://defang.bcbsfl.com/defang.php?url=http://safmc.net/snapper-grouper-regulatory-amendment-29/.

If you have other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at (904) 513-5415 or [email protected].

Sincerely,

Erika Burgess

Fishery Management Analyst

Division of Marine Fisheries Management

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,646 AG
    ok so if it's so much better than it was in 2010...2020 is just a few months away an there should be an ABUNDANCE of 10yr old breeder fish after that year 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • bigTbigT Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    even if that data is correct why not give us a few more days and a slot limit and allow us to keep 2 fish...say from 16 to 25 inches.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,727 Captain
    Yeah they are sincerely working on it for us. :* I suspect that the red snapper will be declared to have been rebuilt to the point a man can bring a couple home for dinner any trip he wants someday.
    Someday after they get around to declaring the manatee recovered and giving us an open season back on jewfish. ;)
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,172 Officer
    Just need a little more funding for research

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,098 Captain
    Would never do this , but a hot grill and filets drizzled with butter mixture of garlic , herbs , johnnies seasoning , pepper might possibly taste great.
    yeah i would never ever think about doing that either.... i just use soy sauce instead....
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 312 Deckhand
    A gallon zip loc bag full of precut veggies and a maries dressing jar of fresh squeezed lime juice..........
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Hopefully this will happen in my lifetime...still pisses me off to no end that you can buy a truck load of snapper at the premium price ...helps the economy ..screw that...you go out one day it cost a hundred to get a spot on a head boat plus all the other moneys adding up fuel, tolls, rod and reels tackle...that’s only because the people with deep pockets continue to pay the premium price per lb ...who is in who’s pocket ?🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬croked **** polititions..🤬🤬🤬
  • ffjakeffjake JaxPosts: 8 Deckhand
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever pulled up a red snapper inside the 3 mile line? Or more specifically one that measures at least the minimum 20”.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,099 Officer
    All the Genuines you want at Whole Foods. Just sayin........................