Cost to change color on old rod

C-QuestC-Quest Posts: 14 Greenhorn
I have a pair of older 80 wide 7'-3" rods with #4 bent butts attached rods are about 5 ft long and have 6 guides.  Everything is in good shape but I would like to change the rod color from off white with some black bands to all black with some new blue and or gold and silver thread.  What would be a ball park cost for this per rod?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,301 Moderator
    Basically you are talking about stripping off the old guides ( and decorative wrap if there is one) painting the blank and then re-wrapping the guides and coating the blank (and guides) to protect the paint.  At least that is how I would do it.  Using your guides, it should not be too much $12-$15 per guide I'd estimate.  New guides could be a lot more.  Where are you located?
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,731 Captain
    This shows why building rods and rod repair is a hobby with most as opposed to a way to make a living!   Lol
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,036 Captain
    Remember as well that you'll actually have to negotiate what you want with each individual shop or independent rod crafter - and there's a lot of different ways to go about painting a blank - from simply sanding it down and using "rattle-can" paint - to actually doing a super classy job using Awlgrip or something similar before actually wrapping new guides and any fancy work you might want done... 

Me, I go the other way -particularly with old lightweight graphite blanks (high enders call graphite "carbon fiber" now - but it's still the same stuff....).  I strip down the rod then carefully very lightly hand scrape every last bit of old finish (and color if there was any...) from the blank (leaving a charcoal gray blank) -then water sand it down to 600 grit, before re-wrapping the rod.  After it's wrapped and finished (with only a very tiny overlap of finish from the wraps onto the blank - the dry, smooth blank is then hand waxed - three or four coats..  What you get is your original rod back with it's original lively response (every bit of finish on a blank dampens it's action a tiny bit..).  Been doing this a few years now on rods used in heavy commercial service (my guiding work) and it really works quite well...and holds up as well with no finish to crack and chip away...

And so it goes... -Vonnegut
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,270 Captain
    Depends on the build. If it's a production rod, just replace it. Stripping a rod is far more labor intensive than building one, and the cost will reflect that. I did a full strip and rebuild on a pair of Fisher stand up blanks, using automotive grade paint for the blanks. I charged 500$ for the pair and wouldn't do it again for twice the money.
    Amen.... although those old Fisher blanks were about as good as it gets.  Wish they were still around - I always considered them to be the best you could get particularly for really good quality time after time.  I first started building with their old glass blanks then graduated to their graphite stuff - when I could get it...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Amen.... although those old Fisher blanks were about as good as it gets.  Wish they were still around - I always considered them to be the best you could get particularly for really good quality time after time.  I first started building with their old glass blanks then graduated to their graphite stuff - when I could get it...
      I've had a few Fishers over the years. Still have a 904(?) and a 1pc 7/8wt. Very durable, but I'm not the nostalgic type. They mostly collect dust these days.
    No nostalgia here -just a solid appreciation of good quality in a time when quality might not be at the top of many manufacturers list....
    It's either that or I'm well into my "geezer years" as I near 70....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    No nostalgia here -just a solid appreciation of good quality in a time when quality might not be at the top of many manufacturers list....
    It's either that or I'm well into my "geezer years" as I near 70....
     "Experienced" is the word you're looking for. This generation and many others owe alot to the "geezers".