Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

PC 4/29

Mostly scattered weeds under heavy NW winds up around 15-20 most of the day. Released a barely legal peanut and put a bonita in the box for strip bait in 130. Pushed east and found something of a weedline in 225 where we picked up three keepers and 2 cudas in a short window of lighter winds. Also had an extremely pissed off shark rippin through the spread at one point. Not sure if he was a tiger or a hammer head or what he was after, but he didn't take any of the baits. The mahi were eating everything... feathers, naked chin-weighted hoos, skirted hoos, hoos under a seawitch, and bonita strip under a skirt behind a bird. Finished up the day with a short hit and pulled a hook in about 100 as we were winding in the lines.

No records were set as they were only in the 10-15 lb range, but we did get my buddy his first mahi on his first ever offshore trip. We tallied this trip in the Win category!

Replies

• kmkeeneykmkeeney Posts: 16 Deckhand
    Correction... it was 4/28. Not 4/29.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,204 Admiral
    Good dill
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Stick a fork in your buddy...he's done hooked for good. Great job and congrats.
  • C TigerC Tiger Posts: 22 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report.  Good to see some activity again on the forum.  We were planning on heading out on Sat, but the early morning conditions made us think twice.  Saw a lot of boats coming back mid morning, so I assume it was pretty nasty?  Glad you were rewarded with a few mahi.  Nice job!
  • kmkeeneykmkeeney Posts: 16 Deckhand
    C Tiger said:
    Thanks for the report.  Good to see some activity again on the forum.  We were planning on heading out on Sat, but the early morning conditions made us think twice.  Saw a lot of boats coming back mid morning, so I assume it was pretty nasty?  Glad you were rewarded with a few mahi.  Nice job!

It wasn't great out there, but wasn't unmanageable either. Got out with no problem and did some rockin and rollin while the lines were in the water. Worst part was the long slog back to port going side into a 20kt wind through 3-4' short period seas. It definitely moved the Grundens up a few notches on the priority list.

• Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 140 Deckhand

Nice report, we went out Sunday, sporty ride out but then the wind laid down. We picked up two gaffer dolphin in 600'

So glad to get offshore again

• LivinTheDreamPCLivinTheDreamPC Posts: 223 Deckhand
    great report.  thanks for sharing.  nice looking phins!!!