Aluminum boats

newbie in pslnewbie in psl Posts: 95 Greenhorn
Looking to buy a boat mainly for freshwater but would occasionally like to go in the Indian river  lagoon. How will they hold up in the salt ? Looking for a Lund or similar type boat. Are fasteners and other metals regular metals or stainless ? Any input appreciated.

Replies

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 977 Officer
    SS hardware in Aluminum sets up a bi-metal situation.  Aluminum will corrode regardless.  Don't let that keep you from putting alum in saltwater.  Plenty of jon boats fish IRL and other inshore areas.
  • newbie in pslnewbie in psl Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Thanks,bloody!
    Gotta love spellcheck
  • FlecFlec Posts: 571 Officer
    I bought a new Xpress XP16CC 3 years ago and use it in the Indian River every weekend. It is holding up well. I don't regret buying aluminum. Mine is a painted hull so there is no bare aluminum anywhere. Came as a package with custom trailer and Yamaha power. It is call a bay boat by Xpress and they have sizes up to 24 feet.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,952 Captain
    I just bought a 22 Xpress bay boat. Love it. They have come a long way, but overpriced just like all boats in my opinion.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,688 AG
    The only negative i've heard about with aluminum boats is hull slap noise.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 571 Officer

This is true. If I am trying to be stealthy I have to fish with the direction of the wind/chop. But I think most anglers in the same situation would try to fish with the chop/wind to be as quiet as possible and use less battery power and noise from a trolling motor even with a $35K fiberglass flats boat.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,952 Captain
    edited May 2018 #9
    Flec said:
     JuSoda Popinski said:

This is true. If I am trying to be stealthy I have to fish with the direction of the wind/chop. But I think most anglers in the same situation would try to fish with the chop/wind to be as quiet as possible and use less battery power and noise from a trolling motor even with a $35K fiberglass flats boat.
    My 22 Xpress alluminimum was 35 k just like my last fiberglass bay boat. Boat is heavy gauge welded with a sandwhich foam hull. Painted black. Most people have no idea it is not a fiberglass hull. Rides good and no more slap at rest if that is what you are talking about than fiberglass. It is not a Jon boat though. Awesome interior.and low maint. Which is what I was looking for. 

I'm in the Big Bend nothing but oyster bars and rocks. The tunnel hull flat bottom is the most popular here, but I have a yak with trolling motor for that. 

In the end it depends the area you are fishing.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,688 AG
    We saw people at the bait shop that had a nice looking aluminum with a jet drive on the back that looked like it could get skinny as all get out.  Really nice people too.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,712 Captain
    Many work boats in Alaska and most recreational saltwater boats in Australia and New Zealand are aluminum. If they didn't hold up, my guess is they wouldn't use them.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 8,246 Admiral
    Holding up to saltwater isn't even an issue.  

If I fished in the big bend on the regular, which I'm thinking of doing, I wouldn't consider anything other than an aluminum boat (SeaArk, Excel, Xpress, etc.), which I'm also doing.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • rwatersrwaters Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Aluminum works out fine in saltwater. I have a G3 tunnel that will go about anywhere I would like. I too fish Big Bend out of Steinhatchee and the rocks can jump out in front of you, so the aluminum helps with that. Just make sure your trailer bunks are not carpeted. I have seen newer boats corrode from the saltwater staying in contact with the hull. I use the bunk slicks for that and launching is a breeze. I had a tracker Jon before this boat and had no problem as well. Hope this helps.      
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,426 Captain
    I fished steinhatchee last weekend and bumped a rock in my pathfinder. Now I have a nice hole in my gelcoat down to the glass, a bent skeg and dinged prop. But it sure rides a lot better than a tinny. Good luck
    You should have been here yesterday
  • RiverRat22RiverRat22 Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    rwaters said:
    Aluminum works out fine in saltwater. I have a G3 tunnel that will go about anywhere I would like. I too fish Big Bend out of Steinhatchee and the rocks can jump out in front of you, so the aluminum helps with that. Just make sure your trailer bunks are not carpeted. I have seen newer boats corrode from the saltwater staying in contact with the hull. I use the bunk slicks for that and launching is a breeze. I had a tracker Jon before this boat and had no problem as well. Hope this helps.      
    from what I understand, its not the salt water causing corrosion.  This happens when the bunks are made of pressure treated wood.  The chemicals in it corrode aluminum.
    Thanks for all the replies ! Looking for low maintenance boat carpet ,wood or much metal to polish. Ill have to check on one's mentioned here. Any dealers to recommend within 50 or.75 miles of port st. Lucie ? Thanks for all input .
    Sorry , no carpet ,wood or metal
  • 1960Richline14ft1960Richline14ft Homosassa floridaPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Don't believe that business about using stainless steel fasteners on an aluminum boat. Those are the best ones to use, period.I just finished restoring a 1960 Richline aluminum boat, all riveted construction. Easy to work on, Easy to maintain. Start on Craigslist and go from there. Absolutely DO NOT buy a boat without a title. According to the FWC a bill of sale only is worthless and no title will be issued based solely on one. Make sure your boat has level flotation or be prepared to watch it sink like a rock if you put a hole in the hull. You can easily paint a "tin boat" with rust o leum products and make it unique.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    Yep, stainless is fine with aluminum. Just don't use copper or brass. Don't bond the electronics to the hull. Let them float. And use a proper zinc anode (which is actually a less noble aluminum alloy) mounted on the transom below the waterline. The zincs on the engine aren't enough if you are going to keep the boat in the water. 

I miss the aluminum hull I had when I lived out west and fished the Pacific. Minimal minimal maintenance and damage is inexpensive to repair with welding.  
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,631 Admiral
    edited May 2018 #20
    Lots of aluminum boats used in salt water, I have one. If you are going to attach anything only use SS hardware or aluminum if you can find it. Never use anything plain steel or galvanized. Yes SS is dissimilar metal but it is the best you can use with aluminum, if it is possible you can insulate with nylon but, truthfully, I have all kinds of SS screws and bolts on my aluminum boat and it is used pretty much exclusively in salt water and I have no issues at all.

Do not use Pressure Treated Wood! it has a high copper content and will corrode the heck out of the aluminum!!! 
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Thanks guys lots of good info !!!
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Tef-gel is the product to use, when mounting ss in aluminum. A little drop on the screw, provides a barrier preventing corrossion. Have used it for years on T-tops and towers, didn't matter what the hull was made from.lol

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • fishonfishon Posts: 963 Officer
    12 years on my Triton Aluminum Bayboat.  Make sure you buy or get an aluminum or Galvanized trailer. Painter metal or basic bass trailers have no lifespan in salt water. 
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland