Home Off Topic

Ford is going to eliminate sedans from its production

frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
edited April 2018 in Off Topic #1

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday said it plans to stop selling all Ford brand sedans in North America and that it is nearly doubling its cost-cutting target by 2022 from the plan it laid out only six months ago. The automaker said it will either fix or eliminate unprofitable global operations.

Ford said the only cars it will keep in North America beyond their current generations are the Mustang and the Focus Active arriving in 2019.

Cars being cut in North America are the Fiesta, Fusion and Taurus. They will be discontinued over the next few years as their lifecycle ends. Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s head of global operations, said other vehicles will replace the cars at factories in Mexico and Chicago where they are now built.

Replies

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    if they go through with this it will negatively affect law enforcement agencies across the nation, causing local governments to change fleet maintenance and impacting budgets 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,223 AG
    Our LEO's locally drive Explorers anyway already.   IIRC when DOT merged with the FHP they all got Tahoes.   This won't be as big a transition as that.   Most of the Lake County Sherriffs cars I see are Impalas anyway. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,176 AG
    Most agencies around here have gone to Dodge.
    Warning Level 2
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,408 Officer
    Appears all new police vehicles going into service here are explorers.
    Jason :USA
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Who drives a sedan anyway? Most of the people that drove sedans and minivans drive crv’s now
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 8,995 Moderator
    There will be little impact. "They will be discontinued over the next few years as their lifecycle ends."

It will be a slow phase out.

Up here you are seeing Camaros and Mustangs on the Interstates along with Hemi Dodge sedans.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Who drives a sedan anyway? 

Warning Level 2
    One thing that I do think will take a hit is rental vehicles.   
    Who drives a sedan anyway? Most of the people that drove sedans and minivans drive crv’s now
    i do now that i'm an old fart
    mazda6 
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    frank said:
    i do now that i'm an old fart
    mazda6 
    Well your good. Mazda is not stopping production of sedans.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral

Kia seems to have the rental business sowed up.
    tag said:

Kia seems to have the rental business sowed up.
    Do they? I haven't rented a car in years.    I do remember my wife renting a car when hers was in the shop, it was a Ford Focus and  it was an absolute piece of garbage 
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    The last 6 or 7 business trips I took I had Kia rentals. No bad cars.
    My last sedan was a two door 1988 Buick Skyhawk.  4 banger.  0-60 mph in 90 seconds.  

Got excellent mileage and survived a rollover incident on a dirt road.  I miss "The Roadmaster".  
    Warning Level 2
    I'd like to find a 2017 Chevy SS. One of the best American sedans ever built. (In Australia)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

@ferris1248
    is that one of those el camino style cars that's so popular in Australia? 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,341 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #18
    Wow, just crazy to me.  I don't get the SUV love, sedans going away...  wow.  I drive a 4 door hatchback and love it.  Great price, handles great and great mpg.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,057 Captain
    I'll bet they don't drop their F Series trucks anytime soon. 
    edited April 2018 #20
    pottydoc said:
    Another vehicle i don't understand.  Expensive and terrible gas mileage.  Especially when the vast majority don't even utilize what a truck is designed for.  People's purchasing habits seem so irrational to me.  Need a commuter car, yeah buy something that can haul the international space shuttle.  Totally makes sense to drop 50k over a 20k sedan.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    pottydoc said:
    Another vehicle i don't understand.  Expensive and terrible gas mileage.  Especially when the vast majority don't even utilize what a truck is designed for.  People's purchasing habits seem so irrational to me.  Need a commuter car, yeah buy something that can haul the international space shuttle.  Totally makes sense to drop 50k over a 20k sedan.
    50k on an F series?   The Base model maybe.  
    edited April 2018 #22
    kellercl said:
    pottydoc said:
    So it makes even less sense than I originally thought.  And people wonder why so many Americans have no savings.  They buy 300k+ houses, 50k+ trucks and 1k phones...  

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,533 AG
    Sedans went away back in the 80s, I think it was. Everything was a 2 door coupe. Then the baby boomers got married and sedans came back. It all cycles, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 970 Officer
    kellercl said:
    So it makes even less sense than I originally thought.  And people wonder why so many Americans have no savings.  They buy 300k+ houses, 50k+ trucks and 1k phones...
    It's all about keeping up with the joneses.  Well, at least the illusion (mostly smoke and mirrors).  I know some folks that drive 60k trucks, but have their wife and kids living in a $5k trailer working as a correctional officer.  Makes you scratch your head and say, "huh"?  It's in all cultures.
    edited April 2018 #25
      Nothing says frivolous waste of daddy's money more than a Jeep lifted with a light bar and polished 24"s.  the Mall Crawlers    

We call them the Chadtuckets of the world.  The Trust fund Babies.   There is wasteful spending in every culture.   Rich or poor 
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,340 Admiral
    Some people thought we couldn't survive without station wagons.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 632 Officer
    kellercl said:
    pottydoc said:
    Not quite that high.  The sticker price on my F150 XLT Crew Cab with 3.5 Ecoboost and Max Tow package was $38,710.  The dealer knocked off an amount equal to the dealer fees ($600-700, I don't remember exactly).  With taxes I was just over $40k out the door.  My truck has a few options, but not a lot.  Navigation, big screen on the console, heated seats, remote start, and max tow package.  I average 19 mpg, with mostly in town driving.  only about 10 MPG when towing though.  They had 2017 base model (XL-STX) trucks on the lot for around $30-32k with crew cab and standard tow package.
    Slough said:
    Some people thought we couldn't survive without station wagons.
    we can't, which is why Volkswagen, Volvo, and Subaru have cornered the market in the US
    @ferris1248

If you're a fan of classic muscle cars, you're probably going to love the Chevrolet SS. To create the SS, Chevy started with the rear-wheel-drive Holden Commodore large sedan produced by General Motors' Australian subsidiary (which was also the basis for the now defunct but still highly regarded Pontiac G8). From there it stuffed a rip-roaring 415-horsepower V8 engine from the previous-generation Corvette under the hood. Four-hundred horsepower? Rear-wheel drive? Yes, it's a formula that could bring back memories of smoky burnouts and doughnuts in your high school's parking lot.

Pleasingly, though, the SS delivers more than just straight-line muscle. Remarkably nimble handling and strong brakes perfectly complement the V8's brawn, while the attractive, comfortable and spacious interior boasts a truly adult-friendly backseat, a large trunk and a remarkably long list of standard comfort, convenience and safety features. Put it all together and you have a thoroughly modern large sedan that will haul your family in relative comfort or something else entirely when you hit the gas.

Current Chevrolet SS
    The Chevrolet SS is a new full-size sedan  that's offered in a single, loaded trim level. Powertrain details are equally straightforward. The 6.2-liter V8 engine, which produces 415 hp and 415 pound-feet of torque, is the only engine offered. It's connected to a six-speed automatic transmission that drives the rear wheels. In our testing, we found the SS can accelerate to 60 mph in just under 5 seconds, which is an impressively quick time for a big sedan like this. Understandably, though, fuel economy isn't a priority here, and you can expect your mpg to hover in the mid-teens.

The SS's list of standard features includes 19-inch wheels, high-performance tires, a sport-tuned suspension, Brembo brakes, xenon headlights, keyless ignition and entry, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated and ventilated eight-way power front seats and leather upholstery. Standard technology features include Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, an automated parallel parking system, blind spot and lane departure warning systems, frontal collision warning, a navigation system, a head-up display, a rearview camera, an 8-inch touchscreen electronics interface, OnStar, voice controls and a nine-speaker Bose sound system The only major option for the SS is a sunroof.

While the SS's most obvious draw is its V8 power, this sedan is also quite capable of confidently devouring curvy roads. The combination of an exceptionally rigid body structure, grippy tires and well-tuned sport suspension and steering systems give the SS uncommon athletic ability for a sedan of this size. It's so good that the SS can give pricier European sport sedans a run for their money on a winding stretch of asphalt. The only potential downside is a ride quality that may be a bit too firm for some folks' tastes.

Inside, the SS offers a roomy and surprisingly upscale interior thanks to leather upholstery with faux-suede inserts and contrasting stitching. The gauges are easy to read and the head-up display is multi-configurable and can project an impressive array of information onto the windshield. The central touchscreen display is also configurable. Its menus are straightforward, but it can be distractingly slow to respond to your inputs at times. Farther back, there's plenty of room for two adults or three in a pinch, while the large trunk should also please those family members who don't understand the meaning of traveling light.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Sedans died when they did away with the bench seats.
    Also the reason why the divorce rate went up. No bench seats in both cars and pickups.
    Then they killed the vent window! Perhaps the most useful device on any .

And if your paying $50K for an F150, you got screwed and not even a kiss to go with it. :D
    @ferris1248

If you're a fan of classic muscle cars, you're probably going to love the Chevrolet SS. To create the SS, Chevy started with the rear-wheel-drive Holden Commodore large sedan produced by General Motors' Australian subsidiary (which was also the basis for the now defunct but still highly regarded Pontiac G8). From there it stuffed a rip-roaring 415-horsepower V8 engine from the previous-generation Corvette under the hood. Four-hundred horsepower? Rear-wheel drive? Yes, it's a formula that could bring back memories of smoky burnouts and doughnuts in your high school's parking lot.

Pleasingly, though, the SS delivers more than just straight-line muscle. Remarkably nimble handling and strong brakes perfectly complement the V8's brawn, while the attractive, comfortable and spacious interior boasts a truly adult-friendly backseat, a large trunk and a remarkably long list of standard comfort, convenience and safety features. Put it all together and you have a thoroughly modern large sedan that will haul your family in relative comfort or something else entirely when you hit the gas.

Current Chevrolet SS
    The Chevrolet SS is a new full-size sedan  that's offered in a single, loaded trim level. Powertrain details are equally straightforward. The 6.2-liter V8 engine, which produces 415 hp and 415 pound-feet of torque, is the only engine offered. It's connected to a six-speed automatic transmission that drives the rear wheels. In our testing, we found the SS can accelerate to 60 mph in just under 5 seconds, which is an impressively quick time for a big sedan like this. Understandably, though, fuel economy isn't a priority here, and you can expect your mpg to hover in the mid-teens.

The SS's list of standard features includes 19-inch wheels, high-performance tires, a sport-tuned suspension, Brembo brakes, xenon headlights, keyless ignition and entry, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated and ventilated eight-way power front seats and leather upholstery. Standard technology features include Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, an automated parallel parking system, blind spot and lane departure warning systems, frontal collision warning, a navigation system, a head-up display, a rearview camera, an 8-inch touchscreen electronics interface, OnStar, voice controls and a nine-speaker Bose sound system The only major option for the SS is a sunroof.

While the SS's most obvious draw is its V8 power, this sedan is also quite capable of confidently devouring curvy roads. The combination of an exceptionally rigid body structure, grippy tires and well-tuned sport suspension and steering systems give the SS uncommon athletic ability for a sedan of this size. It's so good that the SS can give pricier European sport sedans a run for their money on a winding stretch of asphalt. The only potential downside is a ride quality that may be a bit too firm for some folks' tastes.

Inside, the SS offers a roomy and surprisingly upscale interior thanks to leather upholstery with faux-suede inserts and contrasting stitching. The gauges are easy to read and the head-up display is multi-configurable and can project an impressive array of information onto the windshield. The central touchscreen display is also configurable. Its menus are straightforward, but it can be distractingly slow to respond to your inputs at times. Farther back, there's plenty of room for two adults or three in a pinch, while the large trunk should also please those family members who don't understand the meaning of traveling light.

Too long
    Pictures please