Home Off Topic

Is the future of the US doomed?

13»

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    Had the ACA not passed, I may have a higher opinion of him.  That eats into the highest household income figure.

Captain Todd Approves

• King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,552 Admiral
    King_Me said:
    Actually there is hope. As long as you get away from the coast and metropolitan areas.
    I see young men who don't dress like their trying out for the Bloods or Crypts. Can change a tire, fix a diesel engine, diagnose a engine CCM or a ReGen system. Say yes sir/maam and can speak in complete sentences!
     But they also had parents who were not their best friends and either had a mentor or an adult who they respected and looked up too.
     These young men will be the ones who dominate their peers.
    Most of the blame for the snowflakes can be placed  on our generation who allowed this garbage to happen. And allowed the school system to be taken over by spineless cowards and do gooders. Hell, they don't even teach shop, AG class or even home economics anymore! What do you expect?
     Rant over.
    I remember the days of shop classes from wood projects utilizing a huge shop and had a separate shop for welding.  What happened?!?!?!? 
    Easy, the trades were considered what losers do. If you were to be someone you had to go to college, get deep in debt with a basket weaving degree then become dependent on a handout. 
     And no yuppie parent was going to have their kid get his hands dirty!

Talked to my father this morning and he mentioned one of my nephews wanted to become a 'master' electrician and thought it was as easy taking a test to get the license and be certified.  Wrong!  There's something called education and training.  Needless to say he failed the test.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    Friends kid got behind in school and may not graduate.  He'll have to make it up later.

The good news is he is driven by money.  He wants to go to mechanic school.  Hopefully he'll figure out where the money is.

Captain Todd Approves

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,395 Admiral
    Trades are highly under appreciated.  College in general needs to get real.  Half the degrees, may be more, are a complete waste of time.  Most college kids need to do a way better job of picking their major.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    There is no hope, even a bunch of old farts who think they have all the answers can't stay on topic!  :#
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    Or even worse, the guy who was in office before.  Get back into your cry closet MrJ.
    I also love the hate Obama gets.  While he was in office the stock market doubled in size, unemployment was cut in half and Bin Laden was taken out.  WORST President ever!!!  
    Horse crap. You might want to get your facts straight. 
    Actually it isn't horse crap, but is fact.  SP500 was around 850 when he stepped into office and it was over 2k when he left.  The Nasdaq had similar growth.  You may not like it, but facts are in fact...  well fact.    

Edit
    Nasdaq January 2nd 2009 was 1,632.21...  8 years later on December 30th 2016 the Nasdaq was 5,383.12...   well over double.  Deal with it.

People who claim Obama was bad for the economy crack me up.  I have no idea what you all were doing, but I literally (yes I'm using the term correctly) made over 200k in gains alone during those 8 years.  The growth on investments was insanely great.  I guess that is what happens when one doesn't cry like a snowflake but rather deals with facts.   

Edit 2
    Unemployment yearly average for 2009 was 9.28%, when he left office the yearly average was 4.87%.  Not quite half, but essentially, yeah half.  

So what facts did I get wrong?  And before you answer, bear in mind these numbers (at least their source) are the same numbers people use to prove Trump is good for the economy.  
    No one doubts that Wall Street prospered, it was Main Street that suffered. Why do you think he lost his third term??
     And once again, learn what the real unemployment vs. employment numbers really mean. 
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    Or even worse, the guy who was in office before.  Get back into your cry closet MrJ.
    I also love the hate Obama gets.  While he was in office the stock market doubled in size, unemployment was cut in half and Bin Laden was taken out.  WORST President ever!!!  
    Horse crap. You might want to get your facts straight. 
    Actually it isn't horse crap, but is fact.  SP500 was around 850 when he stepped into office and it was over 2k when he left.  The Nasdaq had similar growth.  You may not like it, but facts are in fact...  well fact.    

Edit
    Nasdaq January 2nd 2009 was 1,632.21...  8 years later on December 30th 2016 the Nasdaq was 5,383.12...   well over double.  Deal with it.

People who claim Obama was bad for the economy crack me up.  I have no idea what you all were doing, but I literally (yes I'm using the term correctly) made over 200k in gains alone during those 8 years.  The growth on investments was insanely great.  I guess that is what happens when one doesn't cry like a snowflake but rather deals with facts.   

Edit 2
    Unemployment yearly average for 2009 was 9.28%, when he left office the yearly average was 4.87%.  Not quite half, but essentially, yeah half.  

So what facts did I get wrong?  And before you answer, bear in mind these numbers (at least their source) are the same numbers people use to prove Trump is good for the economy.  
    No one doubts that Wall Street prospered, it was Main Street that suffered. Why do you think he lost his third term??
     And once again, learn what the real unemployment vs. employment numbers really mean. 
    No one doubts Wall Street prospered???  You literally just did a few posts up.  But hey, fine, at least you finally agree with my original comment.  The stock market doubled under Obama.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    edited April 2018 #69
    The US economy is often mistaken for the stock exchange. It is not. The same people often cant tell the difference between the United States as a nation and the federal government. 
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    fins4me said:
    The US economy is often mistaken for the stick exchange. It is not. The same people often cant tell the difference between the United States as a nation and the federal government. 

Agreed, which is why I specifically stated "stock market."  I made no claim about the US economy.  The reality is I said something that wasn't anti-Obama, so a person took issue without reading...  and well here we are.  Again, nothing about my statement is inaccurate.  

-Walter Payton
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    The people on the bus are going to apply for asylum.  Perfectly legal.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    The people on the bus are going to apply for asylum.  Perfectly legal.
    And every one of them should be denied 
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Most of them likely will.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,019 Admiral
    And then they'll be released into the Country while they wait for their court hearings and start pumping out Anchor Babies , And then the Libs will cry because they have kids in schools and we're breaking apart Family's...
    We know how this works.. 
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,680 AG
    After reading the crap posted here, I have to agree, we are doomed. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,810 Admiral
    apparently misery doesn't love company
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #77
    This is the only cry closet those kids need.