Home Off Topic

Is the future of the US doomed?

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Yes, many young American workers suck. If you tell them to do something a certain way they might take it as a suggestion and most will just ignore you. Then when you get on their case not doing their job about being unprofessional they complain to HR and spend endless hours stabbing you in the back. I actually love working with 1st generation americans. You tell them something and it gets done.

One good thing for me is none of these kids are willing to put the effort in to replace us old guys. When I was a fresh face 35 years ago there was competition for advancement, we pushed to get the primo jobs. Now they just try to complain their way to the top. "It's not fair, I should get a chance to be in-charge. You need to be fair."
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,541 Admiral

My cry closet was going to work at as many 3 jobs at a time while going to college to support myself.  Thank God I never had kids and expose them to the future times, its going to be ugly.  I have witnessed from friends and family members on how their kids whine about this and that,

There's some good apples out there but most are rotten.

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Actually there is hope. As long as you get away from the coast and metropolitan areas.
    I see young men who don't dress like their trying out for the Bloods or Crypts. Can change a tire, fix a diesel engine, diagnose a engine CCM or a ReGen system. Say yes sir/maam and can speak in complete sentences!
     But they also had parents who were not their best friends and either had a mentor or an adult who they respected and looked up too.
     These young men will be the ones who dominate their peers.
    Most of the blame for the snowflakes can be placed  on our generation who allowed this garbage to happen. And allowed the school system to be taken over by spineless cowards and do gooders. Hell, they don't even teach shop, AG class or even home economics anymore! What do you expect?
     Rant over.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,003 Admiral
    Actually there is hope. As long as you get away from the coast and metropolitan areas.
    I see young men who don't dress like their trying out for the Bloods or Crypts. Can change a tire, fix a diesel engine, diagnose a engine CCM or a ReGen system. Say yes sir/maam and can speak in complete sentences!
     But they also had parents who were not their best friends and either had a mentor or an adult who they respected and looked up too.
    Most of the blame for the snowflakes can be placed  on our generation who allowed this garbage to happen. And allowed the school system to be taken over by spineless cowards and do gooders. Hell, they don't even teach shop, AG class or even home economics anymore! What do you expect?
     Rant over.

THIS..My Cabin in a small Country  Town.. Them Buckwheat's will stop and get out the Snatch Strap and line up the 4x4 for you just to say they pulled you out.
    Not all of America is lost..but it sure is sad to see the City kids.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,786 Admiral
    Maybe we should let in more immigrants so the kids today would have a good role model to follow.  Those folk have a serious work ethic!

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,021 Admiral
    Parents are failing at a colossial rate. Participation trophies are just a start

In a new Federal Trade Commission report on fraud, identity theft and related consumer protection topics released last week, Millennials reported losing money to financial scams more than any other age group.
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    edited April 2018 #38
    I would take a hard look at what your generation has done before  I start cracking on future generations. Notice who is in the White House?  He can't even use a computer.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,554 AG
    Or even worse, the guy who was in office before.  Get back into your cry closet MrJ.

Captain Todd Approves

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,356 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Or even worse, the guy who was in office before.  Get back into your cry closet MrJ.
    I also love the hate Obama gets.  While he was in office the stock market doubled in size, unemployment was cut in half and Bin Laden was taken out.  WORST President ever!!!  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,541 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #41
     Rant over.
    I remember the days of shop classes from wood projects utilizing a huge shop and had a separate shop for welding.  What happened?!?!?!? 
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,121 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    I also love the hate Obama gets.  While he was in office the stock market doubled in size, unemployment was cut in half and Bin Laden was taken out.  WORST President ever!!!  
    And the biggest scandal was when he wore a  tan suit,
    edited April 2018 #43
    King_Me said:
     Rant over.
    I remember the days of shop classes from wood projects utilizing a huge shop and had a separate shop for welding.  What happened?!?!?!? 
    we started shopping at Wal Mart who imports a bunch of cheap crap, so nobody has know how to make anything anymore?  Personally I make my own furniture, I love woodworking, but given my age I am an outlier.  Literally nobody else I know could even put up basic molding.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    edited April 2018 #44
    kellercl said:

I also love how my sarcasm sets people off.

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    kellercl said:

I also love how my sarcasm sets people off.

Sarcasm is hard to portray in the written form.  

-Walter Payton
    This is true.  Basically take all of my posts as sarcasm, I mean no harm. 

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    This is true.  Basically take all of my posts as sarcasm, I mean no harm. 
    Fair enough, I can accommodate.  

-Walter Payton
    Gardawg said:
    Maybe we should let in more immigrants so the kids today would have a good role model to follow.  Those folk have a serious work ethic!

You don’t get out much do you?
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    Horse crap. You might want to get your facts straight. 
    King_Me said:
     Rant over.
    Easy, the trades were considered what losers do. If you were to be someone you had to go to college, get deep in debt with a basket weaving degree then become dependent on a handout. 
     And no yuppie parent was going to have their kid get his hands dirty!
    edited April 2018 #51
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    Horse crap. You might want to get your facts straight. 
    Actually it isn't horse crap, but is fact.  SP500 was around 850 when he stepped into office and it was over 2k when he left.  The Nasdaq had similar growth.  You may not like it, but facts are in fact...  well fact.    

Edit
    Nasdaq January 2nd 2009 was 1,632.21...  8 years later on December 30th 2016 the Nasdaq was 5,383.12...   well over double.  Deal with it.

People who claim Obama was bad for the economy crack me up.  I have no idea what you all were doing, but I literally (yes I'm using the term correctly) made over 200k in gains alone during those 8 years.  The growth on investments was insanely great.  I guess that is what happens when one doesn't cry like a snowflake but rather deals with facts.   

Edit 2
    Unemployment yearly average for 2009 was 9.28%, when he left office the yearly average was 4.87%.  Not quite half, but essentially, yeah half.  

So what facts did I get wrong?  And before you answer, bear in mind these numbers (at least their source) are the same numbers people use to prove Trump is good for the economy.  

-Walter Payton
    In fairness, in retrospect I will say Obama was above average.  He did a decent job with what he was handed.  No sarcasm.

Captain Todd Approves

• tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #53
    There was a lot of creative math used during the Obama years.
    tag said:
    Nothing creative.  Those are the same number/metrics that have been used to measure stock market growth and unemployment for years.  Those are the EXACT same numbers being used to promote Trumponomics.  People just don't like facts.  If somebody wants to argue against Obama, the better tactic is to argue we hit rock bottom, the only direction left was up.  Pretending facts are anything but does nothing but highlight an intelligence problem.  

-Walter Payton
    tag said:
    Tax cuts for the wealthy benefit the middle class.  That's creative math. 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

edited April 2018 #56
    mplspug said:
    In fairness, in retrospect I will say Obama was above average.  He did a decent job with what he was handed.  No sarcasm.
    Obama was solid.  There were some good things done and some not so good.  And to be fair, Trump is doing better than most expected.  The only president in my life time that legitimately did a poor job was W Bush, imho.  I have heard bad things about Carter but his presidency predates me.

-Walter Payton
    edited April 2018 #57
    Please state an Obama economic policy that helped the economy. 
     And look up the labor participation rate while your at it. 
    edited April 2018 #58

Why? I stated the stock market doubled while he was in office, my claim did not extend further.  Your response called my statement "horse crap."  The irony being your response is in fact horse crap, and my original statement is 100% true. 

I never said his policies drove it, you are simply attempting to migrate the goalposts, as opposed to being an adult and admitting your error.  As I stated earlier, when Obama was in office the stock market double (honestly it was actually slightly more than that), and that is simply a 100% fact.  

-Walter Payton

We have a reasonably complete statistical picture of the Obama years, which began in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, and ended with the highest level of household income ever recorded.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

Stimulus bill.

Rescued auto industry.

Affordable Care Act.

Restored confidence in big banks.

Obama’s policies helped lift the economy out of a frightening slump and set it on a path to steady, if unspectacular, growth. In fact, I’d call this his biggest achievement. The scale of the financial panic of 2008 and the extent of the job losses that occurred in the first months of 2009 should never be forgotten. By “a number of macroeconomic measures—including household wealth, employment and trade flows—the first year of the Great Recession in the United States saw declines that were as large or larger than at the outset of the Great Depression in 1929-30,” Jason Furman, the chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, recounted in an exit memo that he posted online this week.

Obama simply isn't the President FoxNews has made him out to be.  

-Walter Payton