Home Boating

Boating checklist

NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
I cannot believe how silly I have been in heading out to sea; forgetting to do things that came back to haunt us.  I used to use a checklist, and must admit I now need one more than ever.  Here is my take.  What did I miss?  I have attached an Excel file; if you cannot access it, please let me know.

Replies

• crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 381 Deckhand
    Looks pretty good! Someone could use that basic list and customize it for their own situation. Good job!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,851 AG
    Is the drain plug in
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,424 Officer
    Mine is easy.
    1 is the plug in
    2 do I have a fishing rod
    3 did I bring the beer
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    The list looks good. Here are some possible add on's.

Verify bilge pumps run on auto and manual.
    verify live well pump runs
    test running lights, spot light, flood and interior lights
    at launch, turn on VHF and do an automated radio check

Next is likely OCD but it works. I fill before splash, use previous miles ran and calculate mpg and record along with rpm and sea state of the previous trip. Fuel gauge hasn't worked for over 15 years and I can predict fuel consumed to w/in half a gallon. My runs are generally 70-120 per trip.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
    Good commentary.  First rule is drain plug in?  Bilges will not be clean and dry if it is not, but might as well put drain plug first.  If you have a portable radio as well as a fixed mount, you have less need for a radio check, and can always do your own check.   I agree that we need to check bilge pumps frequently. I replaced the original mechanically activated pumps with pumps that supposedly sense water electronically. However, I don’t trust these either. 
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer

Flares  on board and not expired.

Fire extinguisher up to date.

Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,424 Officer
    Nitzey, I have an electronically operated bilge pump on my bass boat for the past 10 or so years that's been running great.  I keep the boat in the water.  I can hear it start every 3 minutes.  Of course it can be turned on manually also.