Record levels of plastic discovered in Arctic sea ice

13»

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,540 AG
    edited May 23 #62
    surfman said:
    It has to be a record, a thousand years ago there was no plastic. isn't plastic pretty much inert? I mean so what if you ingest micro particles of plastic, won't it just pass on to the next feeder?
    So is the plastic a good substitute for nutritious plankton, krill, etc. or do the animals have to eat lots more and expend more energy to get the same amount of nutrition.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,423 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    dave44 said:
    How long do you think it will take to get the Message across to the Philippine Crew on the Indonesia Flagged vessel not to throw stuff overboard..
    That’s the crux of it, isn’t it? Keep hammering, harassing, legislating and leveling fines on Americans. Play on American guilt, but 99% of the perpetrators aren’t Americans?
    Americans are one of the biggest consumers of products and energy in the world. The trash generated and energy used by someone who earns 15$ a month is minuscule compared to one American.
    Cyclist said:
    dave44 said:
    How long do you think it will take to get the Message across to the Philippine Crew on the Indonesia Flagged vessel not to throw stuff overboard..
    That’s the crux of it, isn’t it? Keep hammering, harassing, legislating and leveling fines on Americans. Play on American guilt, but 99% of the perpetrators aren’t Americans?
    Americans are one of the biggest consumers of products and energy in the world. The trash generated and energy used by someone who earns 15$ a month is minuscule compared to one American.
    Please go over to those impeccably clean 3rd world countries and get back with us. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,452 Admiral
    major source of microplastics is personal care products

so we should ban deodorant, toothpaste, and facial wash immediately!!!!!!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,210 AG
    No, but perhaps we should just ban microplastics.  Somehow we survived before their invention.
    we also didn't have personal care products either.
    this is an interesting subject.  My kid did a science project on it.

ya'll can get involved and help with the science.  Start looking for microplastics in your local waters

http://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/flagler/marine-and-coastal/microplastics/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1fPC629x59mvyVO98Cbb33RuORzc&ll=27.769930287702756,-83.700894&z=7

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,430 Officer
    major source of microplastics is personal care products

so we should ban deodorant, toothpaste, and facial wash immediately!!!!!!
    You joke but I refuse to use antiperspirant.  My body is suppose to sweat, blocking a natural process is a terrible idea.
    No, but perhaps we should just ban microplastics.  Somehow we survived before their invention.
    Huh?  Deodorant and toothpaste and facial wash were all invented before microplastics.

You're right, it's an interesting subject.
    Huh?  Deodorant and toothpaste and facial wash were all invented before microplastics.

and we survived before deodorant and toothpaste and facial wash.  Just get rid of em all together.  They will always be nasty chemicals that require nasty stuff to make, produce, store, transport, discard, ect, ect, ect

My comment was more about how stupid I find antiperspirant.  Arm pits have a ton of lymph nodes, blocking excrement in lymph nodes has been the dumbest thing Americans do.

and we survived before deodorant and toothpaste and facial wash.  Just get rid of em all together.  They will always be nasty chemicals that require nasty stuff to make, produce, store, transport, discard, ect, ect, ect
    So, one ingredient used in the modern instance of these products is problematic and your response is to ban them all?  Or, there will "always be nasty chemicals" so this one doesn't matter?

That's ridiculous.

How about just banning microplastics? 

You know, the ingredient causing these problems.
    edited May 21 #73
    kellercl said:

My comment was more about how stupid I find antiperspirant.  Arm pits have a ton of lymph nodes, blocking excrement in lymph nodes has been the dumbest thing Americans do.
    Your lymphatic system doesn't drain through your armpits for one (nor really any other toxins for that matter, see article below), and you would really smell badly for two.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/sweating-toxins-myth-detox-facts-saunas-pollutants-science/

edited May 21 #74
    kellercl said:

Your lymphatic system doesn't drain through your armpits for one (nor really any other toxins for that matter, see article below), and you would really smell badly for two.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/sweating-toxins-myth-detox-facts-saunas-pollutants-science/

I would rather smell then block natural biological excretion.  When I'm fishing smelling pretty isn't high on my list.  All I know is cancer rates are scary in this country.  There has to be a reason(s) why, especially in consumer areas that we aren't looking at.  Regardless I'm not taking the risk.  The body is suppose to sweat, and I will allow mine to.  Back when I used antiperspirant I regularly got inflamed lymph nodes.  When I stopped using, I never got them again.  So I know for a fact it does something to the lymphatic system.  It isn't a coincidence I went from yearly inflamed (maybe infected) nodes to none.... When I stopped using.  
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,000 Captain
    Cyclist said:
    you haven't been to China yet, have you.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    The fact that others pollute does not in any way remove the onus from Americans to do the correct thing and reduce our trashiness.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,423 Admiral
    When did baking soda and basic soaps become bad??
     By the way there is a huge difference between anti-percipants and deodorant. 
     I’m sure most here do not remember glass shampoo bottles? And what would happen when you dropped one on a tile shower floor?? Just sayin. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
    Your blaming this on America? Heck I revise what I said, you have never been out of the country or you just really hate America.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    surfman said:
    Your blaming this on America? Heck I revise what I said, you have never been out of the country or you just really hate America.
    You're and your aren't the same thing.
    this is an interesting subject.  My kid did a science project on it.

ya'll can get involved and help with the science.  Start looking for microplastics in your local waters

http://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/flagler/marine-and-coastal/microplastics/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1fPC629x59mvyVO98Cbb33RuORzc&ll=27.769930287702756,-83.700894&z=7

That's pretty neat.
    edited May 23 #81
    kellercl said:
    surfman said:
    Oops, my bad. :)

The fact is we could always do better.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    surfman said:
    kellercl said:
    surfman said:
    Oops, my bad. :)

The fact is we could always do better.
    No worries, I shouldn't have even pointed it out.  Not sure why I did.  
13»