Home Off Topic

Simple Question............

AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
edited April 2018 in Off Topic #1
My house keeper at my vacation rental said she is raising her rates 25% on the 1st. I said ok no problem. Then I thought about it. She has the cleaning dates already booked and sold at her old price for most of the year. Obviously I can't ask my quests to pay more. I'm thinking the price increase should start with the next new  booking, not the ones already on her calendar.

What say you?

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,606 AG
    I say pay her or find a new housekeeper. How hard you are willing to negotiate depends on how bad you think she needs your business compared to how bad you need her, If she has lots of other clients she may tell you goodbye. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,496 AG
    What was the dollar increase?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    edited April 2018 #4
    dude, fix your signature it takes up half a page, 

Thank you

Mini Mart Magnate

DUDE!!! This place sucks trying to figure out signature lines.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #6
    It's not about the money, it is about business practice. I love her, she is great. I will eat it as usual.

In my business, I can't say, oh, the price we agreed on just went up 25% That is the issue.
    Then you have your answer.

Out of curiosity, how much?

Abraham Lincoln
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited April 2018 #8
    Did you have a contract or a quote?  I don't think booking someone in advance locks in their price.

But you might try to negotiate for a 12.5% increase until the next new booking, i.e. split the difference, and see what she says.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,420 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #9
    How much money are we talking about and how much do you like your housekeeper?(Rhetorical question)
    Housekeepers are not hard to find...why are we even talking about this?...your call ...do what ever you think is good for your bottom line. She has a business model....so do you.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    AC Man said:
    It's not about the money, it is about business practice. I love her, she is great. I will eat it as usual.

In my business, I can't say, oh, the price we agreed on just went up 25% That is the issue.
    She is a housekeeper not a business. She wants more money, you either pay it, negotiate, or find a new housekeeper. Simple answer to a simple question. How valuable she is to you determines how far you are willing to take the negotiations. It sounds like she knows you won't fire her and is negotiating from the stronger position. What would you do if an employee of yours walked in and demanded a 25% raise? 

Treat this as an employee wanting a raise, not a business negotiation,. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    I’m pretty sure there are a lot of businesses that do housekeeping. If you treat her as an employee and not a business then you have opened up a whole new kind of liability, Cad.
       You should know this?

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #12
    AC Man said:
    Obviously I can't ask my quests to pay more. I'm thinking the price increase should start with the next new  booking, not the ones already on her calendar.

What say you?
    You're right.
    I would be pissed if someone increase my rate if we had already deal. It was happened and I never booked there again.

How many booking do you already have ?
    If they are many and they sum much money you should negotiate with the housekeeper a progressive increase of her fare.

Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Did you have a contract or a quote?  I don't think booking someone in advance locks in their price.

But you might try to negotiate for a 12.5% increase until the next new booking, i.e. split the difference, and see what she says.
    When did illegals start negotiating contracts??
    dave44 said:
    I’m pretty sure there are a lot of businesses that do housekeeping. If you treat her as an employee and not a business then you have opened up a whole new kind of liability, Cad.
       You should know this?

Do you use that head for anything? I meant, when negotiating with her do not assume she will act as  a business person would, but negotiate as you would with an employee asking for a raise. They are not handled the same. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,562 AG
    25% is a bit steep.  But I am guessing she already knows she has your nuts in a vice, because that is ballsy of her.  

I think what people are missing here is she was already booked at the old rate?  She "should" be paid at the old rate for those, however it doesn't sound like you even have a contract.  Sounds like you have to eat it.

Captain Todd Approves

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin
    edited April 2018 #16
    Unless you can negotiate a phased-in increase with her, it's either eat it or get a new housekeeper. You can't raise the rental fee on existing reservations without the possibility of cancellations and bad reviews.
    BTW, the link in your sig to vacationrentals.com doesn't work.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,064 Captain
    It amazes me what some house keepers charge to cl an a house. We got prices for our 1500 sq ft house from several individuals, and a couple companies. The individuals were higher. Two of the ladies told me theirvtimevas valuable. Then told me the house would take 3 hours to clean, and they wanted $25.00 an hour. That's for a job that requires very little in the way of talent and/or the experience. I told them I had guys working for me that had over 20 years experiance in a trade that required both talent, training, and skill that were making about the same they wanted. Needless to say, they don't like me very much, and aren't cleaning my house, either. We hired a company to do the house. Licensed, insured, and highly recommended. The charge is about the same, but I'll guarantee the ladies that clean my house don't make $25.00 an hour. And shouldn't.  And before the limbs start crying, they're not illegal, either. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,250 AG
    I had heard a lot of working class people left the keys after Irma because of the damage and they could not afford to wait around waiting for businesses to open.   Whoever did stay though can ask for more money because of the shrunken work force available.    IDK if that is the case here or not.    Supply and demand.   If she has to pay more for her employees, she's passing that on to you.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    pottydoc said:
    It amazes me what some house keepers charge to cl an a house. We got prices for our 1500 sq ft house from several individuals, and a couple companies. The individuals were higher. Two of the ladies told me theirvtimevas valuable. Then told me the house would take 3 hours to clean, and they wanted $25.00 an hour. That's for a job that requires very little in the way of talent and/or the experience. I told them I had guys working for me that had over 20 years experiance in a trade that required both talent, training, and skill that were making about the same they wanted. Needless to say, they don't like me very much, and aren't cleaning my house, either. We hired a company to do the house. Licensed, insured, and highly recommended. The charge is about the same, but I'll guarantee the ladies that clean my house don't make $25.00 an hour. And shouldn't.  And before the limbs start crying, they're not illegal, either. 
    Clean your own **** up.

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    pottydoc said:
    If your are too lazy to clean your own nasty dirt and grime...you gonna pay...
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,789 Admiral
    I'm guessing her expenses went up 25% without notice. 

Probably her insurance premium went up that much. 

Just look at it this way.  You're finally paying her what you would have paid a man to do the same work,
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    pottydoc said:
    sounds  like an elitist **** attitude   do you work for less than $25.00 ?
    edited April 2018 #23
    pottydoc said:
      So you went with a bigger company because the worker cut out the middleman?   Interesting how you chose to go with a company that pays people less that what they should make.  Doesn't make sense.    

Do you work for less than $25.00 per hour.

I can’t believe you guys are paying illegals that much money!
    give it up no one took the bait the first time you tried 
    Finfinder said:
    I know. But according to tarponator and cadman, Americans don’t do these kind of jobs. 
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,032 Captain
    Does your housekeeper do a very good job? 

Remember, you can always go cheaper, and get someone that does a crappy job.

Laat thing you want on customer reviews of your vacation rental are comments that the house is dirty. 

That’ll cost you a lot more in the long run. What is her 25% increase come to, $25? Is it worth it to pay that, or miss a few weeks of bookings over a bad Yelp review?
    Finfinder said:
    I know. But according to tarponator and cadman, Americans don’t do these kind of jobs. 
    Please demonstrate where I said that. Your statement is false, You need to reread what I typed. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    edited April 2018 #29
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
       You should know this?

Do you use that head for anything? I meant, when negotiating with her do not assume she will act as  a business person would, but negotiate as you would with an employee asking for a raise. They are not handled the same. 
    You did say treat her as an employee? You may have a few issues about a few things.
       You never read between the lines when beating people up about some tangent you want to take. I just think you should be more precise when communicating because of the way you jump on others.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    The ignore feature is very useful in situations like this.
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
       You should know this?

You did say treat her as an employee? You may have a few issues about a few things.
       You never read between the lines when beating people up about some tangent you want to take. I just think you should be more precise when communicating because of the way you jump on others.

What I said was, "treat this as an employee wanting a raise, not a business negotiation". that is a quote. I did not say treat her as an employee, but handle the negotiation the same as an employee wanting a raise. I do not negotiate with my employees wanting raises the same as a business raising prices. The employee (as does the housekeeper) has ego involved that needs to be handled, the business is just looking at costs and profits and there is no ego issue to deal with. 

There is no lines to read between. My comment was straight forward. It is not my fault your reading comprehension is lacking. I have explained it twice to you now, hopefully you understand. 

Mini Mart Magnate