Home Off Topic

Yeti Drops NRA Foundation

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited April 2018 #152
    My arguments for gun control are limited to increased regulation and based on the same logic that makes it harder not easier to own machine guns and hand grenades and bombs.

I don't want your guns, Johnny's guns, or anyone's guns.  I own them and I like them.  I just think we should make it harder not easier to kill lots of people.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,271 AG
    My arguments for gun control are limited to increased regulation and based on the same logic that makes it harder not easier to own machine guns and hand grenades and bombs.

I don't want your guns, Johnny's guns, or anyone's guns.  I own them and I like them.  I just think we should make it harder not easier to kill lots of people.
    What is that logic? why do we need increased regulation?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

edited April 2018 #154
    You are too quick to respond, I wasn't done with that post!  :)

The logic is to make it harder not easier to kill lots of people, while preserving the right to own guns...and recognizing we have a gun violence problem in this country.

And it seems rather self-evident to me.

The logic is to make it harder not easier to kill lots of people, while preserving the right to own guns...and recognizing we have a gun violence problem in this country.

How can you claim certain guns make it easier to kill lots of people? How can you prove we have a gun violence problem in this country?

Be careful and remember what you said, correlation is not causation,.

I don't think it is as self evident as you believe. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Let's say I have two guns.  One has a 30 round clip and is semi-automatic AR, and the other is a one shot bolt action rifle.  In an active shooter situation, like any of the now-en-vogue school shootings, the former is more deadly than the latter.

• JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,523 Admiral

Using that logic.....
    1) we need to revamp the mental health care system in this country..... We closed most facilities that housed the dangerously insane....... That has caused many issues within our country. Among them, our homeless epidemic and our horrific high profile crimes.

2) We need to add a mental health component to background checks. But that would take major re vamping of HIPPA... Probably not going to happen.

3) We need to offer mental health professionals, civil and legal protection. My wife has an advanced degree, a state license, etc and works in mental health. Her license and title is one of the few disciplines that can actually Baker act someone. In this climate mental health professionals are very hesitant to Baker act people. Not because they do not want to do their jobs. But rather they do not want to face the gauntlet of being accused of being over zealous, over reacting, etc.... And they do not want to be exposed to civil suit and left hung out to dry by the Beurocrats that head up the agencies they work for. That is the reason that after dedicating years in school and over 20 years in the field, my wife is trying to get out.

And 4) The NRA Gods and gun nuts everywhere will hate me after reading this statement. We need  to get rid of the no paperwork private sale of firearms. Private sales are fine... But, you sell a car, motorcycle, house, land, boat etc.... There is paperwork involved. All I am suggesting here.... Is if someone wants to sell a gun and has a buyer... Go to a licensed firearms dealer to do the transfer..... No registration.... Just a simple transfer.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Let's say I have two guns.  One has a 30 round clip and is semi-automatic AR, and the other is a one shot bolt action rifle.  In an active shooter situation, like any of the now-en-vogue school shootings, the former is more deadly than the latter.

An AR that is clip fed would be a novelty. 
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"

ARs do not have or use clips..... They use Magazines...... There are a few firearms that do or did use clips.... The only one I can  think of at the moment is the M1 Garand

Wouldn't that depend on other outside factors? Are you making a relationship between the use of ARs in school shootings and then claiming that gun is the cause of more deaths?  

What if the guy with the bolt action was in a fortified position and able to pick off victims at ease? At the Stoneham Douglas shooting fourteen died, Charles Whitman set in a tower with a few semiautomatic rifles and killed 16 people. He had no AR type weapon. He was not speed shooting. He just used position and accuracy to kill his victims. I am sure he shot one of his victims at a range of 500 yards that day, 

How about George Hennard who killed 23 in a restaurant using just two 9mm pistols. He had not 30 round ARs to shoot that day He just used trapped people and skill to do the killing.

You are arguing a correlation.of the use of AR's in recent shootings makes them the cause of the shootings. The truth is, the crazy person would have simply chosen a different weapon and method of attack if the AR had not been available and could have killed as many or more. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Using that logic.....
    1) we need to revamp the mental health care system in this country..... We closed most facilities that housed the dangerously insane....... That has caused many issues within our country. Among them, our homeless epidemic and our horrific high profile crimes.

2) We need to add a mental health component to background checks. But that would take major re vamping of HIPPA... Probably not going to happen.

3) We need to offer mental health professionals, civil and legal protection. My wife has an advanced degree, a state license, etc and works in mental health. Her license and title is one of the few disciplines that can actually Baker act someone. In this climate mental health professionals are very hesitant to Baker act people. Not because they do not want to do their jobs. But rather they do not want to face the gauntlet of being accused of being over zealous, over reacting, etc.... And they do not want to be exposed to civil suit and left hung out to dry by the Beurocrats that head up the agencies they work for. That is the reason that after dedicating years in school and over 20 years in the field, my wife is trying to get out.

And 4) The NRA Gods and gun nuts everywhere will hate me after reading this statement. We need  to get rid of the no paperwork private sale of firearms. Private sales are fine... But, you sell a car, motorcycle, house, land, boat etc.... There is paperwork involved. All I am suggesting here.... Is if someone wants to sell a gun and has a buyer... Go to a licensed firearms dealer to do the transfer..... No registration.... Just a simple transfer.
    I could not agree more with each and every word of this, Johnny.

Kind of curious given our disagreement about the other issues, but just goes to show once we (both) get past the emotion, we have much more in common on this topic than not.

Thanks for the response and trying to find common ground.  :)
    fins4me said:

I did that just to make sure you were paying attention, Fins.  ;)
    edited April 2018 #163
    cadman said:

Wouldn't that depend on other outside factors? Are you making a relationship between the use of ARs in school shootings and then claiming that gun is the cause of more deaths?  

What if the guy with the bolt action was in a fortified position and able to pick off victims at ease? At the Stoneham Douglas shooting fourteen died, Charles Whitman set in a tower with a few semiautomatic rifles and killed 16 people. He had no AR type weapon. He was not speed shooting. He just used position and accuracy to kill his victims. I am sure he shot one of his victims at a range of 500 yards that day, 

How about George Hennard who killed 23 in a restaurant using just two 9mm pistols. He had not 30 round ARs to shoot that day He just used trapped people and skill to do the killing.

You are arguing a correlation.of the use of AR's in recent shootings makes them the cause of the shootings. The truth is, the crazy person would have simply chosen a different weapon and method of attack if the AR had not been available and could have killed as many or more. 

Of course it would depend on other outside factors, but I'm not making any relationship other than the potential lethality of the weapon.

And you are right to point out the other instances of mass killings with bolt action rifles and pistols, but I'm sure you recognize them as anecdotal examples that doesn't invalidate the relationship in the sentence above.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not arguing a correlation with ARs in particular -- they are simply caught in the crossfire, pardon the pun.  However, I am saying that making weapons with more killing potential harder to get would have an effect on the legality of these types of events.  For instance a safety course and/or a mental health evaluation to buy a semi-auto weapon.  Of course the crazies could have chosen other ways to kill others, but (and I'm sorry to keep coming back to this) why should we make it easy?

Of course, I think that this particular line of thinking and the possible ways to address it should probably be lower in priority than other measures.  As Johnny pointed out, making our mental heath system and the linkage to the database better, closing the private sale loophole, and closing the reporting holes in other sources of actionable intelligence (i.e. armed forces reporting)...should probably be addressed before or at the same time as the regulations we have been discussing.

For me at least, the time has long past for action on this topic, even if at worst it is ineffective and strips some of their perceived 2nd amendment rights.  Those dead people deserve something other than a shrug and the facts are that the vast majority of people in this country believe in common-sense gun control.....except for the a certain group of hardcore gun owners represented generally by the NRA position**.

I hope you are sleeping well, and it's past time for me as well....Mike

** my attempt at not using the term gun nut.  :)
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,012 Admiral
    May possible to join NRA for foreign people (who live outside US) ?
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,854 AG
    *peeks into topic this morning through crack in the door.   Slowly closes door behind him*

Captain Todd Approves

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    mplspug said:
    *peeks into topic this morning through crack in the door.   Slowly closes door behind him*
    has nothing to do with yeti coolers
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    fins4me said:

M1 Garand. The one that killed a whole bunch of Natzies and Yaps! :o
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Using tarponators logic we should ban the internet, satellite communications and smart phones.
    After all, the quill and ink bottle was good enough for mass communication.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,757 AG
    They will accept money from anyone.
    Vote for the other candidate

Using that logic.....

I could not agree more with each and every word of this, Johnny.

Kind of curious given our disagreement about the other issues, but just goes to show once we (both) get past the emotion, we have much more in common on this topic than not.

Thanks for the response and trying to find common ground.  :)
    While you and I can find common ground in discussion.... ..... I will never support a politician, bill, organization, etc that supports any further strengthening of firearms laws at the local, state, or federal level.....

Because..... While I can concede there are a FEW small flaws.... History has taught us, if the pro gun crowd give an inch. The anti gun crowd tries to take a mile....... "You cannot be reasonable with people whose ultimate goal is banning firearms.
    edited April 2018 #171
    Mister-Jr said:
    They will accept money from anyone.
    Good.
    In my opinion is very important support the last ones who are still able to think instead to become slaves of the politically correct dogmas.

********************************************************************************************************************************
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,752 AG
    Good on you!
        Propaganda doesn’t work too well on free thinkers.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,757 AG
    It's kind of you to support America's high murder and suicide rate while your own country has far tighter gun regulation to protect you and your family from gun violence.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,439 Officer

Awesome!
    Jason :USA
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Hmmm.......I buy based on need, quality and price. I buy what is best for me and my family. Some products may support or not support certain organizations..........some may not support any organizations............so I am indifferent ar what Yeti or others want to do
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Jr is in his cry closet after that **** whooping.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,456 Captain
    King_Me said:
    Scoutboat said:
    King_Me said:
    Nice photo of the ladies.  Are they carrying AR-15's????  Or sporting rifles????
    Get the point?

Its called a 'boycott' against the products that they purchased and don't believe on their actions against a certain vendor.  Get that? its simple to comprehend.
    Apparently you missed my point.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,456 Captain
    Man!
    That got ugly fast!!!!!
    It's not about firearm ownership, it's a statement by a manufacturer that cannot accept endorsements by an organization that promotes the ownership of non sporting fire arms.
    Yeti coolers are way over priced and I would not buy one.
    Not for political reasons.
    Jim