Home Off Topic

Yeti Drops NRA Foundation

Replies

• NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    edited April 2018 #32
    Mister-Jr said:
    Finfinder said:
    thank god an organization is out there protecting our second amendment rights

Difficult to believe people still fall for that con.  
    What con?...can you elaborate without simply parroting CNN talking points? Are you saying the NRA doesn't fight for second amendment rights? If not,  why do you care about them so much?
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,139 Captain
    Slough said:
    It will hurt them. They used the NRA to build their name. I am sure the NRA cost Yeti a lot in (advertising) free products for the convention and local rallies. It may be they can't financially do it anymore. They should have come out with that, if that is the reason.  
    Or more likely most people won't care and the ones that do will be replaced by the ones that are glad they dropped the NRA. Yeti isn't run by idiots they thought this through before they did it.

I doubt that those prius owners are suddenly going to start buying $400 coolers.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    m9000 said:
    Slough said:
    It will hurt them. They used the NRA to build their name. I am sure the NRA cost Yeti a lot in (advertising) free products for the convention and local rallies. It may be they can't financially do it anymore. They should have come out with that, if that is the reason.  
    Or more likely most people won't care and the ones that do will be replaced by the ones that are glad they dropped the NRA. Yeti isn't run by idiots they thought this through before they did it.

I doubt that those prius owners are suddenly going to start buying $400 coolers.
    they are too smart...
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    District of Columbia v. Heller554 U.S. 570 (2008), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee. It also stated that the right to bear arms is not unlimited and that guns and gun ownership would continue to be regulated. Due to Washington, D.C.'s special status as a federal district, the decision did not address the question of whether the Second Amendment's protections are incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment against the states,[1] which was addressed two years later by McDonald v. City of Chicago (2010) in which it was found that they are. It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.[
    Vote for the other candidate
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,552 Admiral
    King_Me said:
    I have been a fan of their products over the years. I bought many Yeti coolers over the years, if that's their decision, 'F' them, no more purchases from me.  I have raved about their product line for years but there's others out there. 
    Seriously?  :D  You are going to stop buying their products because they dropped the NRA  :D 
    Thanks I needed a laugh this morning. :D 

Yup!  It's so idiotic on their marketing tactics.  Been a NRA supporter for years so why would you question my decision?  Just curious. You're open to your own opinion. 
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,351 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #37
    Mister-Jr said:
    Companies that ended their relationship with the NRA

Yeti
    REI
    Delta Airlines
    United Airlines
    MetLife
    First National Bank
    Enterprise Rent A Car
    Hertz
    Budget Car Rental
    Allied and North American Van Lines
    North America Van Lines
    Symantic
    Wyndham Hotels
    Best Western
    Paramount RX
    And according to some they are all run by idiots who will cost their companies untold business. Highly unlikely IMO.
    YETI and maybe REI are the only ones that used NRA to make their names stick out in the beginning. All the rest were giving a little just to get more biz. This move by Yeti will hurt them some, but may not hurt them as much as they were giving (voluntarily) to NRA. On the flip side, NRA should have just made a press release that Yeti was not a sponsor anymore and let it go at that.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    King_Me said:
    King_Me said:
    I have been a fan of their products over the years. I bought many Yeti coolers over the years, if that's their decision, 'F' them, no more purchases from me.  I have raved about their product line for years but there's others out there. 
    Seriously?  :D  You are going to stop buying their products because they dropped the NRA  :D 

Yup!  It's so idiotic on their marketing tactics.  Been a NRA supporter for years so why would you question my decision?  Just curious. You're open to your own opinion. 
    I just find it funny that people purchase or don't purchase things based on things like this. 
    I purchase things because they do what I need them to do. Could give a crap less about the companies "politics" but I don't give a crap about "politics" in general so maybe that's why I feel this way.
     Then you aren’t the crunchy critter we know. Every post you’ve made on this thread is rife with divisive political pablum.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited April 2018 #39
    Actually, they are not.  He's been very consistent in this thread at poking fun at people who brought politics into their purchasing decision, and hasn't said anything remotely political.

+1 for using pablum in a sentence, BTW.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer
    What are all the gun nuts going to do with their overpriced coolers now?

WOW.  Your derision is palpable.  You must be a real hoot in person. 
    Thanks.  It was supposed to be palpable.

But what do you think I should do with the RTIC cooler I just received as a present???

Use it.  Those things are great.  How does a cooler define a man?
    Cyclist said:
    How the nra went from a safety and gun education group to the largest lobbyist for gun manufacturers and a shill for anti-common sense gun laws. Nasty, conniving people run this lobbyist pro gun agenda.

In Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA, FRONTLINE goes inside the politics of America’s gun debate. Veteran FRONTLINE filmmaker Michael Kirk investigates the NRA, its political evolution and influence, and how it has consistently succeeded in defeating new gun control legislation.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/gunned-down/

So you suggest the NRA should not defend gun rights?  Maybe they should take up the cause of bike lanes on interstates or something?
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #42
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,680 AG
    i will never buy another Yeti cooler, Of course, I never bought one to begin with so Yeti won't miss anything. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    cadman said:
    i will never buy another Yeti cooler, Of course, I never bought one to begin with so Yeti won't miss anything. 

Same here. 

My question is how are some of people making decisions for these companies are  soout of touch with their sales base? Snowflakes are not going to buy expensive coolers (also most old sportsmen) or hardware at Ace. Snowflakes don't get dirty or sweat unless it's hot when they protest. **** also took a hit, while WM made changes quietly and works with environmental **** (EDF) they keep there redneck base. Because they are sneaky and smart.  It's like the NFL trying to expand their audience to women and foo-foo men. Yeah, it can improve attendance for a year or two but by then the fad has worn itself out and they have lost the beer drinking, wing eating, blue collar base. Sporting related businesses should know better then to **** people off. They should know to stay off the bandwagon and avoid controversy and politics. There are some pretty dumb, out of touch, people running things.

Proud to be Life member BTW. 

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,463 Captain
    Slough said:
    Doubtful. They’ve basically pulled a Dixe Chicks. The outdoor industry is still and likely always will be a Red State enterprise. For Yeti to think this as a viable marketing strategy, it would mean that they think that Blue State tailgaters will outnumber Red State hunters and fishermen using their products. 

The fact that they felt the need to release the above statement indicates that its hurting them. 
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,017 Moderator
    Some people just WANT to BELIEVE FALSE NEWS
    Image may contain text
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,463 Captain
    johnD said:

So here they’re claiming it had nothing to do with wanting to undo ties with the NRA and instead was simply them getting rid of an outdated promotional campaign.  

Either they’re backtracking, or it was in fact never about sending the NRA a political message anyhow. 

Either way, the anti-NRAers lost this one.  😉😝
    Mister-Jr said:
    District of Columbia v. Heller554 U.S. 570 (2008), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee. It also stated that the right to bear arms is not unlimited and that guns and gun ownership would continue to be regulated. Due to Washington, D.C.'s special status as a federal district, the decision did not address the question of whether the Second Amendment's protections are incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment against the states,[1] which was addressed two years later by McDonald v. City of Chicago (2010) in which it was found that they are. It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.[

So where does this state the NRA does not fight for second amendment rights? 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,552 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #49
    King_Me said:
    King_Me said:

I just find it funny that people purchase or don't purchase things based on things like this. 
    I purchase things because they do what I need them to do. Could give a crap less about the companies "politics" but I don't give a crap about "politics" in general so maybe that's why I feel this way.
    'Politics' are a big part of your life if you are a US citizen.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,094 Captain
    Yeti backtracked oops
    edited April 2018 #51
    More like Yeti is correcting the fake news that the NRA was spreading.
    edited April 2018 #52
    Cyclist said:
    How the nra went from a safety and gun education group to the largest lobbyist for gun manufacturers and a shill for anti-common sense gun laws. Nasty, conniving people run this lobbyist pro gun agenda.

In Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA, FRONTLINE goes inside the politics of America’s gun debate. Veteran FRONTLINE filmmaker Michael Kirk investigates the NRA, its political evolution and influence, and how it has consistently succeeded in defeating new gun control legislation.

So you suggest the NRA should not defend gun rights?  Maybe they should take up the cause of bike lanes on interstates or something?
    The NRA is a lobbying organization that does nothing to protect your Constitutional rights.   
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    Cyclist said:

The NRA is a lobbying organization that does nothing to protect your Constitutional rights.   
    Nonsense,,, lobbying is one of the ways the NRA helps to protect the 2nd amendment.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Mister-Jr said:
    Cyclist said:

Do tell what they are lobbying for.  I am sure you will tell me they are a shill for the gun industry but without the second amendment the gun industry takes a huge hit. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/ct-nra-constitution-gun-control-supreme-court-20180223-story.html

This is from the Chicago Tribune, not exactly Fox News. 

edited April 2018 #55
    I agree with Fins.  The NRA vigorously defends the 2nd amendment (and their corporate sponsors' interests, but that's another discussion).
    Federal courts and federal judges interpret the Constitution as to how it applies to all of us.  The NRA simply spends your money to raise money from other weak minded Americans who think the NRA takes precedent the Constitution. 
    They even went so far as to hire Jesus as their spokesman to convince you.
    That doesn't change the fact that the NRA vigorously defends a broad interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.
    That doesn't change the fact that the NRA vigorously defends a broad interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.
    In my mind, the NRA is irrelevant to the entire federal process.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    publicity stunt.
    Mister-Jr said:
    You are naïve if you believe lobbying organizations have no influence in the federal process.  In your mind the federal process is pure and lacking in corruption by special interests?
    edited April 2018 #61
    Mister-Jr said:
    I wish that were true, but unfortunately it's not. 

Like them or not....they are more than relevant; they have been largely effective.

I'm sorry, but you are way off base here.