Fresno State College Professor calls Barbara Bush "Amazing Racist"

Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 497 Deckhand
As well as blatantly stating that she is tenured and can never be fired.  Nice to know I have such accountable people on the tax roll out here.  I don't care much about her opinions, we all have them, but to state she cannot be fired because she is tendered just shows the arrogance and is basically a middle finger to all state tax payers here.  As an aside I wouldn't touch her with Tarpon's pole.

Replies

• frankfrank Posts: 12,703 AG
    some people don't understand civility 
    respecting a family in mourning should be a given 
    No political signature
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,080 AG
    FSU!
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,463 Moderator
    As well as blatantly stating that she is tenured and can never be fired.  Nice to know I have such accountable people on the tax roll out here.  I don't care much about her opinions, we all have them, but to state she cannot be fired because she is tendered just shows the arrogance and is basically a middle finger to all state tax payers here.  As an aside I wouldn't touch her with Tarpon's pole.
    Simply amazing.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,483 Admiral
    I'm boycotting  by never going near Fresno state college.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,598 Captain
    California!!
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,503 Captain
    Freedom of speech, people are entitled to their opinions.
    kellercl said:
    you think she would have said that if she wasn't tenured?    Doubtful.   It's easy to say stupid stuff when you know there are no consequences.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,192 Admin
    I'm boycotting  by never going near Fresno state college.   
    And don't buy raisins!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    edited April 19 #10
    kellercl said:
    you think she would have said that if she wasn't tenured?    Doubtful.   It's easy to say stupid stuff when you know there are no consequences.    
    Regardless, shouldn't the first amendment be as protected as the second?  Or are constitutionalist just as selective as everybody else?
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 1,998 Captain
    kellercl said:
    Sure, people are entitled to their opinions.

But why comment at all? Why have the level of nastiness, hate, and vitriol?
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    Regardless, shouldn't the first amendment be as protected as the first?  Or are constitutionalist just as selective as everybody else?
    wait wut?
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    Regardless, shouldn't the first amendment be as protected as the first?  Or are constitutionalist just as selective as everybody else?
    wait wut?
    Typo on my part.  I have updated.
    edited April 19 #14
    kellercl said:
    Sure, people are entitled to their opinions.

But why comment at all? Why have the level of nastiness, hate, and vitriol?
    Good question, that I can't answer.  I have no idea why she feels the need to say what she did.  Nor do I understand the president's obsession with Twitter.  More often than not I tend to keep my opinions to myself.  Especially in public settings.
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    Regardless, shouldn't the first amendment be as protected as the second?  Or are constitutionalist just as selective as everybody else?
    I don't think anyone is attacking the 1st amendment, surely not as much as they attack the 2nd.   People think that freedom of speech means freedom from consequences of speech and that could not be further from reality.  You can say whatever you want (i mean you can't yell fire in a movie theater or bomb on a plane), but you have to deal with the blowback from those statements.    And that is the thing people have a problem with.   She would have never said that publicly without tenure and the fact she stated she was tenured and could not be fired confirms that.   

It's a pretty shameless way to get your name out there by tring to chit on the legacy of a great first lady.   And she was free to say it, there are no monetary or criminal charges.  But she'll face criticism for her words like she should. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,369 Admiral
    Barbara Bush was a fine First Lady. 

She never posed naked for a lesbian photo shoot.  

That's a new level of transparency at the White House.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    It was shameless, I 100% agree.  I don't get people anymore, assuming I ever did.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,046 AG
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    The first amendment has NOTHING to do with repurcussions from an employer due to stupid comments.  It protects a person from government sponsored punishment or from being impeded from comment by the government. 
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,266 AG
    edited April 19 #19
    Setting aside my pole for a moment ( :) ), your opinion seems fair enough.   However, ultimately, it's her employers opinion and/or her employment contract that's most important, and I presume you don't speak for either one (outside of being a concerned taxpayer).

Speaking of opinions, how do you feel about Roger Stone's comments?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roger-stone-disses-barbara-bush-nasty-drunk-news-132928624.html

edited April 19 #20
    fins4me said:
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    The first amendment has NOTHING to do with repurcussions from an employer due to stupid comments.  It protects a person from government sponsored punishment or from being impeded from comment by the government. 
    Which is fine and dandy, except people tend to flip flop quickly on topics such as is.  A person gets in trouble by their workplace for supporting a confederate flag, folks argue freedom, just as an example.  Those same folks seem outraged over this...  I think there is a massive inconsistency by most, that goes for both liberals and conservatives.
    edited April 19 #21
    p.s. I always liked Barbara Bush.   She had a direct nature, which I appreciate, but also had the uncommon ability to be direct without being objectionable.  I think many of us could learn from her example, myself included.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 497 Deckhand
    Setting aside my pole for a moment ( :) ), your opinion seems fair enough.   However, ultimately, it's her employers opinion and/or her employment contract that's most important, and I presume you don't speak for either one (outside of being a concerned taxpayer).

Speaking of opinions, how do you feel about Roger Stone's comments?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roger-stone-disses-barbara-bush-nasty-drunk-news-132928624.html

True I don't speak as her employer or to her contract but I am concerned that people like her that are paid, in part, with my taxes feel they can do whatever they want without fear of termination.  That would sets a very bad precedent, but in California the teachers are incredibly insulated due to a unique closeness with the Governor by way of union contributions that supported his candidacy.

As for Roger Stone I would only ask why he waited until Mrs. Bush was deceased to make these comments?  It makes me feel that he is a petty person and weak.  A decent person would have either stated these things while Mrs. Bush was still alive so she could defend herself or been a real man and kept it to himself.  Pissing on someone's grave shows low morality, a weak spine and poor upbringing.  IMO.

edited April 19 #23
    I think you meant to say "say whatever they want" rather than "do whatever they want".

Frankly speaking, I think they should be able to say whatever they want....provided they are speaking on their own behalf (i.e. not representing their employer, in this case a university) and not breaking any laws. 

But that's my opinion, and you are certainly entitled to your own.
    I think you meant to say "say whatever they want" rather than "do whatever they want".

Frankly speaking, I think they should be able to say whatever they want....provided they are speaking on their own behalf (i.e. not representing their employeer, in this case a university).

I agree that she can say whatever she wants and I don't care that much about what she said.  With how poorly public education in California performs at all levels I worry that this mindset leads teachers here to feel they can act or speak without the fear of termination.  When that mentality sets in it becomes difficult to change the direction of trends.  We need educators that are not only talented but also open to change should it be necessary.  I have seen firsthand that our educators are completely unwilling to change, despite poor outcomes, and they are very adept at passing the blame along.  I feel this attitude is at least in part due to the fact that they feel insulated from consequence.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,745 Captain
    That's not all she said:

In another tweet, the professor wrote: “I’m happy the witch is dead. can’t wait for the rest of her family to fall to their demise the way 1.5 million iraqis have. byyyeeeeeee.”

School officials also said they were reviewing the tenured professor’s position.

“I will never be fired,” she tweeted.

Enraged, some people tagged Fresno State and the institution’s president, Joseph Castro, demanding that the professor be fired.

Jarrar laughed at them.

“LOL let me help you. You should tag my president @JosephlCastro. What I love about being an American professor is my right to free speech, and what I love about Fresno State is that I always feel protected and at home here,” Jarrar wrote. “GO BULLDOGS!”

On Wednesday, Castro told the Bee that Jarrar’s comments were “beyond free speech. This was disrespectful.”

“A professor with tenure does not have blanket protection to say and do what they wish,” he said. “We are all held accountable for our actions.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2018/04/18/after-calling-barbara-bush-an-amazing-racist-a-professor-taunts-critics-i-will-never-be-fired/?utm_term=.21a1ed958027

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,976 AG
    Fresno State is not a private employer. they receive government tax dollars and have to abide by certain rule due to that. The teacher in question is also represented by a union, which makes the issue even harder for the university. Being Tenured is the least protection she has. 

But, from what articles I read, she is under investigation by the university and is on a leave of absence. What she does in her private life, as long as it doesn't effect her job is her business. But it is shameful that anyone would act as she does. 

The professor, Randa Jarrar,, is from Kuwait and Egypt, and she moved to the U.S. after the Gulf War. she should feel lucky to be here, if she was there and make this remark about a former leaders wife, she might get more than a reprimand. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,369 Admiral
    edited April 19 #27

“A professor with tenure does not have blanket protection to say and do what they wish,” he said. “We are all held accountable for our actions.”

The truth is an adequate defense. 

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    edited April 19 #28

Frankly speaking, I think they should be able to say whatever they want....provided they are speaking on their own behalf (i.e. not representing their employeer, in this case a university).

I agree that she can say whatever she wants and I don't care that much about what she said.  With how poorly public education in California performs at all levels I worry that this mindset leads teachers here to feel they can act or speak without the fear of termination.  When that mentality sets in it becomes difficult to change the direction of trends.  We need educators that are not only talented but also open to change should it be necessary.  I have seen firsthand that our educators are completely unwilling to change, despite poor outcomes, and they are very adept at passing the blame along.  I feel this attitude is at least in part due to the fact that they feel insulated from consequence.
    I believe the only tenured teachers are in higher education.   California ranks #3 in the country in higher education.  The facts don't necessarily support your conclusion.

However, I do agree with your underlying concern that job security breeds under-performance.  It's also tough to attract the best and the brightest at teacher salaries, so I think there are multiple factors at play, and being unfettered by the backlash of freedom of (even vile disgusting) speech is far down the list.

For me at least, it's much more about how their students do rather than the personal opinions as expressed on social media.... and colleges should be known and valued for their varying opinions and open discussion on topics just like this rather than quashing discussions based on political correctness.

I believe the only tenured teachers are in higher education.   California ranks #3 in the country in higher education.  The facts don't necessarily support your conclusion.

However, I do agree with your underlying concern that job security breeds under-performance.  It's also tough to attract the best and the brightest at teacher salaries, so I think there are multiple factors at play, and being unfettered by the backlash of freedom of (even vile disgusting) speech is far down the list.

For me at least, it's much more about how their students do rather than the personal opinions as expressed on social media.... and colleges should be known and valued for their varying opinions and open discussion on topics just like this rather than quashing discussions based on political correctness.

When all of California education is taken as a whole (my taxes in part support all of it) we are middle of the pack after having been a leader for many years.  While not tenured public school teachers are insulated by a union that is very politically active which serves the same purpose.  I sent my daughter to private schools in some ways because of this (others being gangs, political swayings in education policies etc.), I also attended the local school board meetings when my daughter was still in day care.  The resistance to any suggestions or concerns from parents was astounding and disgusting at times.  One speaker was derided because she "had time to attend" implying that she was wealthy or some such nonsense and her opinion did not merit consideration. It cemented my decision for private school education.   My daughter did attend a University of California school in Santa Barbara, which ranks highly nationally. The emails I got from the Head of the UC System, Janet Napolitano, were dripping with political innuendo.  Such as counseling centers for students after Donald Trump's election, boasting that over 50% of UCSB's students pay nothing (while I am paying full tuition, boarding and taxes that help support the school) and preaching about hate speech and who she felt was hateful. These were the things to talk about not giving us information about the rapes on UC campuses and what is being done or the pervasive mental health and drug use issues.  I have been through a lot of it out here and I am glad it is ending for me from a parent perspective.

When all of California education is taken as a whole (my taxes in part support all of it) we are middle of the pack after having been a leader for many years.  While not tenured public school teachers are insulated by a union that is very politically active which serves the same purpose.  I sent my daughter to private schools in some ways because of this (others being gangs, political swayings in education policies etc.), I also attended the local school board meetings when my daughter was still in day care.  The resistance to any suggestions or concerns from parents was astounding and disgusting at times.  One speaker was derided because she "had time to attend" implying that she was wealthy or some such nonsense and her opinion did not merit consideration. It cemented my decision for private school education.   My daughter did attend a University of California school in Santa Barbara, which ranks highly nationally. The emails I got from the Head of the UC System, Janet Napolitano, were dripping with political innuendo.  Such as counseling centers for students after Donald Trump's election, boasting that over 50% of UCSB's students pay nothing (while I am paying full tuition, boarding and taxes that help support the school) and preaching about hate speech and who she felt was hateful. These were the things to talk about not giving us information about the rapes on UC campuses and what is being done or the pervasive mental health and drug use issues.  I have been through a lot of it out here and I am glad it is ending for me from a parent perspective.

All this while Ms. Napolitano was found to be hiding hundreds of millions of dollars in a slush fund (discovered by state auditors) while continually increasing tuition.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,545 Admiral
    Some of the dumbest people I have ever met were also "well educated". You can't teach common sense.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,