24th Annual Lantana Derby - Captains Party tonight - All are invited!

nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,192 Admin
It's time for one of the great local fishing tournament traditions, the Lantana Fishing Derby on Saturday, May 5.
$2500 for the largest fish, and prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in KDW categories. Prizes for Lady Angler and Juniors (under 13), too!
All registered boats can get up to four reels spooled with new Momoi Hi-vis, green and/or blue, at our Captains Party, Thursday, May 3.
Get free 20, 30 and/or 40# test on either spinners or conventional reels, donated by West Marine, while supplies last. Please bring reels only, detached from your rods.
Register at the Captains Party, Thursday, May 3 at the Lantana Rec Center.

For more info and online registration:
www.lantanafishingderby.com
Or call 561 585-8664

Federales, bring my baby back to me!

Replies

• philpro78philpro78 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Screw the Lantana Derby!!  We entered last year where it was cancelled with fishable conditions, no refund and then the prizes were "randomly drawn" to thier friends.  Don't enter
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,165 Captain
    Dave, I'm gonna bring four 130's. I would like them spooled with 20 lb Hi Vis. Thanks :)
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,192 Admin
    edited May 4 #4
    philpro78 said:
    Screw the Lantana Derby!!  We entered last year where it was cancelled with fishable conditions, no refund and then the prizes were "randomly drawn" to thier friends.  Don't enter
    We canceled last year because the conditions would have been hazardous to many of our boat entries. I saw a 35' center console go completely vertical heading out of Boynton Inlet. 1st time we've ever canceled in 23 years.
    As for your slanderous comment that the prizes were "drawn to our friends", if you were at the Awards Party on Sunday, you would have seen that it was a completely random drawing, and that all prizes were awarded, which doesn't happen most years when there aren't 3 wahoo caught. Sorry you weren't happy with our rules, which are posted on the Derby website, given to you in writing, and discussed at the Captains Meeting.
    You might recall the posts from last year's thread;
    https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/comment/2999502#Comment_2999502
    If you had an issue with how we ran the tournament, or had a better idea on how we could better serve our anglers in the future, we'd be happy to hear and discuss them.

• Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,124 Officer
    edited May 4 #5
    Not looking great for light weights tomorrow

TONIGHT  East northeast winds around 20 knots with gusts to  around 30 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas to 8 feet  along the coast and 5 to 8 feet with occasional to 10 feet in the  Gulf Stream. Period 6 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in  exposed areas. A chance of showers late in the evening...then  showers likely and a slight chance of thunderstorms after  midnight.  SATURDAY  East southeast winds 10 to 15 knots along the coast  to east southeast 15 to 20 knots in the Gulf Stream. Seas 4 to  6 feet with occasional seas to 8 feet subsiding to 2 to 4 feet  with occasional seas to 5 feet in the afternoon. Period  5 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Showers likely  in the morning. A slight chance of thunderstorms through the  day. A chance of showers in the afternoon.
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 383 Deckhand
    I didn't enter the tournament last year but I did fish the day of the tournament and we slaughtered tge dolphin and I was in the 21 center console multiple fish over 20 lb
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 383 Deckhand
    Good luck too all and be safe
    Just came back from Boynton Inlet. NE winds blowing a solid 20, 5 lines of breaking waves across the inlet, and tide going out (low at 0850).
    Small craft advisory - the tournament has been canceled.
    All prizes will be awarded by random drawing from all boat entries at the Awards BBQ on Sunday at the Lantana Recreation Center.

Frydaddy, you're out of your mind!
    Dave, I was supposed to fish the Salt Water Classic out of Port Canaveral today. It got cancelled also. At the Captain meeting last night, I heard two guys with a 21 Sportsman griping about it. I guess there's crybabies everywhere. You guys made the right call.
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,263 Officer
    Austinblu tournament in Jupiter cancelled the offshore fishing, inshore still a go.  Definitely made the right call, even though some will not like it.  Better that than someone with a case of the dumba** going out and getting killed.
    Member #10822
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,263 Officer
    Inshore as in snapper category........from what I am told
    Member #10822
    Yep Cancelled again in fishable conditions.....Lantana Derby is a SCAM!!!!!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,483 Admiral
    stupid nature. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    philpro78 said:
    Yep Cancelled again in fishable conditions.....Lantana Derby is a SCAM!!!!!
    Don't fish in it if you think it's a scam.  If the weather there was anything like Port Canveral Saturday, they definitely made the right call. It was waaay nasty here. We fish a 35' CC and I know we didn't want to go. Nor did  a huge percent of the almost 600 boats registered . There was not a single boo or gripe when they announced we weren't going to fish at the Captains meeting.  The forecast for both places was pretty much the same. 
    Doesnt look like anyone is fishing in it....might as well be just a raffle...because that's exactly all it's been the last couple years! 
    philpro78 said:
    Doesnt look like anyone is fishing in it....might as well be just a raffle...because that's exactly all it's been the last couple years! 
    Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate the last two years - the only two times we've had to cancel in 24 years, and it happened in successive years.
    Not quite sure why you think it's a "scam" - we awarded $10,000 in cash in 10 categories. Since we had 55 entries, our entrants had almost a 20% chance of winning at least $500, up to $2500.
    We agonize over the decision to cancel due to weather. We'd much rather have a fishing tournament than cancel.
    Also, we actually raise more money if we fish.
    As for your contention that it was "fishable", it did lay down later in the day, but at 5 a.m. it was blowing 20+ from the NE, with an outgoing tide. Do the math.