Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Coyotes ?

i came across a road killed coyote down towards West Lake a couple days ago. I have never seen one in the park & was surprised that they would be that far south if they were there. I was under the impression that they were native to south Fl. but had been hunted out years ago.  a park employee said the biologists disagreed & they were not native to the area......   he said there had been several sightings lately.

Replies

• got1ongot1on Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    I saw one years ago but it was just after the entrance to the park. I thought it was a dog at first and started to slow down but when I got a better look I could tell it was a coyote.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I wonder if they eat snakes.
  • BayHawk1BayHawk1 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    We saw one standing in the median on the way down to Chokoloskee this past weekend - was not expecting it at all and had never seen one before that. It was on US 27, west of Okeechobee and was just standing there looking at us as we drove by.  Obviously if several people are seeing them now, they are making a strong comeback.  We have a few packs that have moved into Merritt Island and Indian Harbour Beach over the last few years......the feral cat population has gone down dramatically and they recently ran a local news story on several people missing their pets that were believed to have become food for the coyotes.  
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,840 Captain
    I've only seen 'yotes on one occasion in the Park -and that was a small group of them right next to the roadway before dawn in the Pinelands section of the road down to Flamingo... At first I thought I was looking at whitetail fawns but got close enough to clearly see that they were coyotes... I talked to a Park biologist about it and he confirmed that they'd had quite a few reports from folks that more heard than saw them... He attributed it to the decline and eventual disappearance of the native red wolf from the southeastern US over the past fifty years or so... As the red wolf disappeared the 'yotes moved in throughout the south... 

As a boy I lived for a time on Redstone Arsenal up in north Alabama and remember clearly seeing a picture of a red wolf that was road-killed there in the mid sixties - but that's my only recollection of them - and I have no idea how long it's been since the red wolf was sighted here in Florida....

One thing is certain though... the rise of pythons and their terrible effects on the local small game population on the Flamingo side of the Park - has probably forced the resident 'yotes on that side of the Park to re-locate where there's actually food available... The road down to Flamingo hasn't had a single warm-blooded critter killed on it in years now... alll you see are the carcasses of birds and reptiles - nothing else....Pythons are just slow moving silent death at night for any warm blooded animal they encounter... Come to think about it, I haven't seen a whitetail along that road now for a few years either - and I travel it long before sun-up quite a bit.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Saw one last night at Pines and 27. Coming from construction site probably looking for food garbage por rats.
  • JWTJWT Posts: 723 Officer
    there have been sightings in Pinecrest recently. the pythons don't seem to bother them too much. they seem to be thriving. can't say as much for the racoons & swamp rabbits. they used to both be everywhere at Flamingo but i haven't seen either in many years. still seeing deer in other areas north of Flamingo & there was one road killed a couple months ago down near where i saw the coyote...... i haven't seen any pythons tho.......
  • SandalousSandalous Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Here is one I spotted in the Flamingo campground loop January 2016... He was with several others. As you can see, they were very brave and wandering around near cars, lights, fires and people. Had previously seen photos of them in the Redlands and on the park road.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,659 AG
    choot em
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • I see them in Parkland and Loxahatchee

• stebfishstebfish Posts: 177 Deckhand
    I've only seen 'yotes on one occasion in the Park -and that was a small group of them right next to the roadway before dawn in the Pinelands section of the road down to Flamingo... At first I thought I was looking at whitetail fawns but got close enough to clearly see that they were coyotes... I talked to a Park biologist about it and he confirmed that they'd had quite a few reports from folks that more heard than saw them... He attributed it to the decline and eventual disappearance of the native red wolf from the southeastern US over the past fifty years or so... As the red wolf disappeared the 'yotes moved in throughout the south... 

As a boy I lived for a time on Redstone Arsenal up in north Alabama and remember clearly seeing a picture of a red wolf that was road-killed there in the mid sixties - but that's my only recollection of them - and I have no idea how long it's been since the red wolf was sighted here in Florida....

One thing is certain though... the rise of pythons and their terrible effects on the local small game population on the Flamingo side of the Park - has probably forced the resident 'yotes on that side of the Park to re-locate where there's actually food available... The road down to Flamingo hasn't had a single warm-blooded critter killed on it in years now... alll you see are the carcasses of birds and reptiles - nothing else....Pythons are just slow moving silent death at night for any warm blooded animal they encounter... Come to think about it, I haven't seen a whitetail along that road now for a few years either - and I travel it long before sun-up quite a bit.....
    A friend of mine has a hunting lease west of the Lake. He says they are a complete nuisance and they are shooting them as fast as they can. On the Python thing, they put a tracker in a big male and it led them to a bunch of other ones. I think they might be on to something.

• xeniaxenia Posts: 750 Officer
    edited April 2018 #12
    They are here and numbers have been increasing.  I have seen them just outside the park (ENP) so they are probably in there as well. Here's one I photographed in 2013 in Palmetto Bay.

• JWTJWT Posts: 723 Officer
    they seem to have little fear of humans............ i seriously was going to take the tail off the carcass, looked like some shrimpy  fly tying material :wink:  i have not heard them mentioned in early SF stories......... are they native & just making a comeback?
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 750 Officer
    They are native to western North America but have been expanding eastward.  They began showing up in NW Florida in the 1970s and are now found throughout the state.  I bet most people see them in their neighborhood and dismiss  them as dogs.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,498 Officer
    I hunt from northeast Florida down to South Florida (Everglades region) and have seen and heard them everywhere in between. They are on the increase, keep your small dogs and cats close to you. I have heard of them attacking small dogs being walked on leashes also.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,375 Officer
    Had seen a couple of them around my neighborhood in Palm Bay several years ago and toyed with the idea of trapping them. Then one night I watched as one came out of my neighbors back yard and stalked and caught one of our neighborhood feral cats, which used to run our area by the dozens. So, in the last 2-3 years there is no longer a population of cats crapping in my yard, and fighting/howling around my house at night. I'm happy and I guess the coyotes have moved on to better hunting grounds! As for killing small dogs there's an easy solution to that: get big dogs! My Golden Retriever weighs 112 lbs, 3 times as large as a Florida coyote and he's not on their menu!