Home Boating

Pursuit cc260 vs Cobia cc261

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,121 Officer
I'm in the market for a new boat and have started to narrow in on the Pursuit 260 and the Cobia 261. I'd be interested in hearing comments especially from owners. i've read a number of posts comparing boats but can't find anything comparing these and/or that was recent. I'm also thinking about the dual console Pursuit 265 which is the small haul. I fish out of southeast Florida and usually run about 20 - 25 miles offshore. I plan on putting twin Yamaha's on either the digital 150 or 200s. I have a 26ft limitation for my community marina.

Replies

• squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    pursuit ! hands down a much better built product - the fit and finish on a pursuit is very good - the cobia,not very good.what's under the deck is more important,once again the pursuit wins that one.ride - pursuit again ! get the idea I like the pursuit ?
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,131 Officer
    edited April 2018 #3
    I've had two smaller Pursuits, and they are solid and well built. They will definitely take a beating and still hold up. This photo was taken last year. The boat was a 1991 model..... at 26 years old and still fishing offshore.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Tropic RatTropic Rat Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Pursuit is as good as it gets for human use : only other choice is a Stamos  and I know Peter Stamos  & go back decades in time.  

Have had my pursuit, bought new, over 20 years ago and it is as solid as ever - your best choice for blue water & if you don't want to keep messing with hull problems.  

I also have friends that own them and they feel the same & refuse to sell. 

Hint : stay away from boats owned by engine makers, large corporations or those trading on an old name.
     go with family owned or makers that have been building  continuously at least as long as Pursuit (not many)
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 221 Deckhand
    Probably can't go wrong with either. Both boats will long outlast your ownership. Your decision will likely come down to ride, layout, features and price. Fortunately both manufacturers are within a mile of each other so it should be easy to see the boats being built.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,693 Admiral
    I had a 2001 260 walk around Cobia. Beat me and the boat nearly to death in 2 to 3 chop. I know they are different now, but not sure how much so. Sold it after about 5 trips offshore

• Dave1Dave1 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    I bought a new Pursuit 2550 W/A in 1987.  Fished that boat for many years and loved it. That was a fine boat. Still kicking self for selling it. Fit, finish, construction, materials, ride, lay out, etc. are all top quality. If possible, go to the Pursuit plant and let them take you on a tour to see how they are built. You will be impressed.
  • firstcoastindfirstcoastind Posts: 18 Deckhand
    Any interest in power with Suzuki's? 6 year warranty, less than the Yamaha's.  No disprespect to Yamaha's, but the SUZUKI on my old Mako has been phenomenal!
    Thanks,

Jeremy MacDonald

1993 Mako 221B
    2017 SUZUKI DF300hp
  • CaboJackCaboJack Newport, CAPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Both good boats. I was looking at both but decided on the Cobia 261 because the design was more current, ergonomic, and had all the details I wanted. Most of all it does not use any wood anywhere and was a big point for me. And...it cost a lot less than a Pursuit!
  • GulfcatGulfcat St MarysPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Years ago I would have said Pursuit without question. In more recent years Cobia has become a very good boat. Good wiring, double clamps on hoses, etc etc. FWIW I used to own a Regulator 32 and I am now a Cobia owner. I'm no expert, but I do feel qualified to compare those two...and they do compare favorably.  IMHO, of course.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,121 Officer
    Gulfcat said:
    Years ago I would have said Pursuit without question. In more recent years Cobia has become a very good boat. Good wiring, double clamps on hoses, etc etc. FWIW I used to own a Regulator 32 and I am now a Cobia owner. I'm no expert, but I do feel qualified to compare those two...and they do compare favorably.  IMHO, of course.
    Thanks for the feedback....
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    Any interest in power with Suzuki's? 6 year warranty, less than the Yamaha's.  No disprespect to Yamaha's, but the SUZUKI on my old Mako has been phenomenal!
    My Suzuki 300s have been great 2300 hours
    and running strong.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,236 Officer
    What is the price difference set up the same?
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,121 Officer
    little change in plans....I decided to go up in size a bit.  I'm seriously considering the Cobia 277.  It is substantially less expensive than the Pursuit S 280.  Don't have exact prices yet, still working on that but the Pursuit is currently at least $40k more.   Right now I can get a new 2019 Cobia 277 less than I can get a 2015 Pursuit S280.  If I go new I can also get the electronics I want.  
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 993 Officer
    You can pay now, or pay later. 
  • SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 162 Deckhand
    I have gone the cheap route on a boat before,  NEVER Again.  There is a difference in price not because of a profit or advertising issue, but in quality. I do business with pursuit and have been in their factory many times over the last 20 years. All i can say is they really build a good boat and the management cares about what they are producing.

I have ridden on a few in the 26 to 28' range and have always been impressed with the ride.
    Since 2004 as ReelDreams.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,236 Officer
    Pursuit does have a great reputation but nothing wrong with Cobia. The 277 is very popular. Join the Cobia facebook page and ask owners. Personally I would just order the hull and Put white suzukis on it afterwards. You will save around 15- 20k more.