Tilapia on the fly

Picked up the fly rod after a long hiatus and hit the local ponds. The shoreline was packed with craters and bedding tilapia. Some late spawning bass were also trying to stake out a spot along the crowded banks. Bluegills everywhere nabbing eggs from unattended nests. I managed to tempt a tilapia into striking my clouser minnow by slowly dragging it through their nest. It required a ton of patience but it was a fun one to check off the list. 

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Bet that was a nice tussel !  Cool.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 733 Officer
    Tilapia can be alot of fun on fly when you can get them to eat. Normally a white or black wooley buggers with a green weenie behind it will do the trick. We do have a few local ponds that they will take tiny white poppers too.
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    I'll have to give those a try! Thanks
  • HallTHallT Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Any luck on crawfish patterns? Want to try it soon ad well.
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    I haven't tried crawfish. The fish spooked easily and bolted every time my line hit the water, so something smaller might be better. Make this the official tilapia fly fishing thread and let us know how you do!
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,888 Captain
    Gotta try that
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 484 Deckhand

I am looking also because my older Lowrance (and any brand older units)  have a 1Hz output which is not as real time as we have become accustom to in automotive type GPS unit-  the newer / higher dollar units have a 10 Hz response.

Anything from about $500 up should have the 10 hz-  if they are not advertizing 10 Hz then they have 1 hz.