Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

IRL/Banana River Water Condition

hitting the restart button from 2 other threads, I see dead fish again, and IRLWater Condition Sebastion

A show of hands please, who attended the IRL Commision meeting on 4/10?
2018 Plan was finalized, did you “weigh in”?

Guys with moxy such as Huntinthe wild, Cuestoster, Kellogg’s, Fyrestorm, Joe and Pete (Zamog too) others with “can do”attitudes need to speak up! 
1.  Do you agree with the projects selected for 2018 funding with our 1/2% tax dollars?  Why?  Why not
2.  Lots of folks dissing the 1/2% tax.  Do you know of a bettter Plan?
3.  On a separate but related referendum, 3 of 5 Brevard commissioners voted to spend $5M of state money on fake turf for Viera.  Please note this was NOT from the 1/2% account.  In favor of turf over lagoon restoration were:  Curt Smith, jim Barfield and Rita Pritchett.  The Gov signed a HB authorizing 2018 money that was earmarked for “pet projects” to be used for IRL restoration but those 3 chose fake turf. So sad!

Let’s fix this!

Replies

• HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I did not attend.  As I said in previous threads I know how the commissioner arena works and its a waste of time.  Some very specific people would have needed to attend that meeting for them to change their vote.

Unfortunately, we let the bridge collapse before fixing it.  It's gonna take some dead fish, manatees, and dolphins before it gets the press it needs to turn the "right" heads.

Finally, $5M isn't going to scratch the surface.  We need billions.....
  • FishseekerFishseeker Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Thanks HunNWild
    i probably buggered that post as there were 2 separate meetings.  You are likely correct on the commisioner’s unchangimg mindset regarding pet projects BUT 
    more importantly however was the April 10 committee meeting (not commissioners) where the IRL save our lagoon plan was finalized and funding  appropriatied (using the 1/2% tax $) for specific projects intended to support lagoon restoration. 

• FyrestormFyrestorm Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    I didn't attend either as I had previous plans.   I did attend a Lagoon workshop at the Brevard Zoo that had alot to do with oysters and their mission to restore them to the Lagoon.   Which had me confused as I thought oysters didn't really exist here in great numbers.  I've fished the Lagoon since 1986 and can't remember ever seeing one.  I did see and catch a ton of clams, but never any oysters.  Didn't think there was enough flow for them.  They don't agree with that and are very optimistic about their mission.  Anyways, the politics.  The $5 million for astro turf that the two commissioners voted against isn't a big deal to me. First, its not $5 million right now,  Its $500K .  Second, its cheaper in the long run and they don't have to dump fertilizer on it. It's funny, because when the hard decisions arrive to increase revenue for the Lagoon the two that voted against the astro turf will be the two who vote against any new revenue.  The three that voted for the Asro turf will be the ones who carry this vote as Tobia and Isnardi pretty much vote Nay on everything.  Now, because of this vote they are trying to pretend they are the front runners for saving the Lagoon.  Its ridiculous and their true colors will show once its time to make the tough decision of raising revenue.  They are both fake.   
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,635 AG
    There used to be oysters down in the wabasso area pretty heavy but they died off many years ago.

The Oyster project is a colossal waste of time and money until/if they figure out why they die when they get about 2.5 - 3 inches long.  I will not divulge the name...but I was told this nasty little fact by 2 people...one a "producer" ( who has a very vested interest in this keeping going) and one from a scientist involved.

They are banking on something like the Zebra mussels did up in the great lakes...but the problem (one of several really) is that there was no natural enemy to the Zebra mussel in that system since Zebras were non native....not the same set-up here. 

This system here is done for a very very long time...................and the Brevard money is chump change to what will be required in the real world. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    To sum up..

Band-aid to a gushing gunshot wound to the head.... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I agree with duckman, it's gonna take so much money to fix this that it's unrealistic.

Another major issue is that the river doesn't impact Brevard's main economical inputs.  This means that there is no economical benefit to the area to fix the river.  Just a nice to have.  Ask most people in town, they don't really care.
    To add to that last comment.  Most people care about good roads, schools, restaurants, shopping centers, etc.
  • GrogGrog Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    To add to that last comment.  Most people care about good roads, schools, restaurants, shopping centers, etc.
    Exactly. Reality is 99% of the folks that live in Brevard don't care about the lagoon nor utilize it like we do, so they simply are not gonna reach into their wallets to help fix it. 
  • whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    federal govt will have less of a roll.       tax cut.    watch the fuel prices.    there will go our tax cut 
  • bbailey_33bbailey_33 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    IMO  these 3 things will help the most.
    1. Replace all "berm" bridges 405 south to 192
    2. Punch another inlet between SI and Ponce (Canaveral don't count as the locke is hardly opened)
    3. Stop "sugar" from dumping to east and west coast.

As you can guess, the odds of any or all of these is near zero.
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    A new inlet isn't going to happen.  The best case scenario there is a tidal weir at Canaveral, which would be more beneficial than an inlet anyway.
    Don’t be such pessimists!  
    The 1/2% tax passed by over 60% of voters - that’s huge!  so not sure where “ 99% don’t care” comes from??  And The “Plan” authored by Tetra Tech alludes to a huge negative economic impact of a polluted lagoon.  But I don’t want to argue or dwell on such.
      Here are facts.
    1.  Voters approved the tax and money for restoration.
    2.  Funds are being actively collected.
    3.  The Save Our  Lagoon Committee (SOL), with citizen input will id and fund projects they “believe” will benefit. (No, additional inlets isn’t one of them).

Where we can help is by holding the folks making the decisions accountable!

But first you need to read the report and challenge, where appropriate, statements and science used to make the case for which projects are at the top of the queue.

For example: As discussed earlier, the Report/Plan shows septic tanks in Cocoa Beach as a major contributor to nitrogen.  When pressed they backed down as there are only 3 tanks and none that are significant contributors.  But unchallenged, the SOL may have needlessly funded septic issues in CB.

let’s fix this!

Guys
    I’ve been on a crusade the past month to find some form, any form, of real-time data.  Looked at ORCA/Kilroy first.  Budget cuts reduced the number of stations from 25 to 8.  Then today, Dr. Jacoby sent me this link
    http://webapub.sjrwmd.com/agws10/hdswq/

it shows but a single sampling station in the Banana River, north of 520.  None near Cocoa Beach in areas where the fish die off is on-going.

So, once again I ask: what data are being used to make informed decisions on which projects to fund with the 1/2% tax???

Let’s fix this!

3.  The Save Our  Lagoon Committee (SOL), with citizen input will id and fund projects they “believe” will benefit. (No, additional inlets isn’t one of them).

Good, The last thing we need to do with limited funds...is to fund a big boondoggle.  The "new inlet" is the warcry of the ignorant and uninformed who want instant results. Sadly, the result will be just an inlet...with no seagrass. This would be less than a band-aid on a gunshot to the head.

A "lagoon" ....is a ecosystem of *clean* freshwater mixing with seawater to give a certain range of salinity which is conducive to certain plant growth...nothing will change that simple fact. 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    i afraid a large percentage of the money will be spent of fuel paperwork ext to first get all the politicians to look at it then the scientist ext ext ext.     vierra will make out good
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,593 Captain
    And all that marvelous landscape and lawns in Viera don't help with fertizer runoff in the lagoon.
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    I think most of Viera drains to the St Johns but it's not good either way.