Pomps in the surf

Get them while you can. Find clean water and some sort of trough or runout. Caught fish on the outgoing and incoming. Most of the bites came on the far rod. Reds and black drum closer to the beach. 

Shut Up and Fish

Replies

• jrogjrog Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Nice work!
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,623 Captain
  • M4-TUNAM4-TUNA Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Maverick said:
    Get them while you can. Find clean water and some sort of trough or runout. Caught fish on the outgoing and incoming. Most of the bites came on the far rod. Reds and black drum closer to the beach. 

In the Jax area? Nice haul.
  • PBRn7.62PBRn7.62 Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Dang, you killed it!
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,191 Officer
    Nice Man!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,820 Captain
    Cool, nice haul, Good Dill!
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • JacksonvilleJakeJacksonvilleJake Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Nice!
  • Amelia PaddlerAmelia Paddler Posts: 488 Deckhand
    edited April 2018 #9
    Nice catchin’!

in the Dina’ yet or South?
    I’m past ready to get back on the pomp’s!
  • AllNVeinAllNVein JacksonvillePosts: 139 Deckhand
    Solid work!  
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    Nice catchin’!

in the Dina’ yet or South?
    I’m past ready to get back on the pomp’s!
    Yeah. Still making the drive south. Heard of a couple pomps in Dina but very sporadic. I haven't caught any myself in Dina. Water is just too dirty up here. 
    Shut Up and Fish
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,416 Captain
    I got one today at Atlantic Beach despite the water being a little dirty. Was waiting for the SE wind to clean u the surf but it stayed dirty a couple hours I was there.
  • fernandinasnapperkingfernandinasnapperking Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Nice catch! Hopefully the numbers will be around the island soon.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,401 Admiral
    Daniel.....you need to give the Dina a try as soon as the water clears up a bit. !!

There have been a handful of Pomps at my spot......I just havent hit em right yet, myself.....I left early Saturday since the morning bite was slow.....the few whiting I had were BIG !! Then the fish bit on the incoming all afternoon, with some nice pomps in the mix. ( my buddy's report )

Oh, and if you are going any time soon...better beef up your surf rigs !!

I had 3 rigs destroyed by big bluefish !!......saw one that was every bit of 9 or 10 pounds....spooled me almost, so I had to do something to save all my line, and running down the beach wasn't helping....lol

Finally broke him off.....sucker jumped 3 times, that's how I know how big he was....then ran like a kingfish !!

....fun while it lasted, but my 14# pompano rigs were no match.....

You were fore-warned.....they are thick right now.!!

...just sayin'...
    Sea Snake said:
    Daniel.....you need to give the Dina a try as soon as the water clears up a bit. !!

There have been a handful of Pomps at my spot......I just havent hit em right yet, myself.....I left early Saturday since the morning bite was slow.....the few whiting I had were BIG !! Then the fish bit on the incoming all afternoon, with some nice pomps in the mix. ( my buddy's report )

Oh, and if you are going any time soon...better beef up your surf rigs !!

I had 3 rigs destroyed by big bluefish !!......saw one that was every bit of 9 or 10 pounds....spooled me almost, so I had to do something to save all my line, and running down the beach wasn't helping....lol

Finally broke him off.....sucker jumped 3 times, that's how I know how big he was....then ran like a kingfish !!

....fun while it lasted, but my 14# pompano rigs were no match.....

You were fore-warned.....they are thick right now.!!

...just sayin'...

Steve, 
    im gonna give it a shot this weekend.
    gonna leave the shop a bit early Fri. And catch the last outgoing.
    I’ve  been getting my pompano rigs ready for a few weeks (gotta do something since the weather is bad)
    they “should” be here by the water temps, so we shall see.
    ill shoot ya a text Fri evening to let ya know how it went.

Dang... new format & moble I’ve got it messed up...lol

my gear should be good, 20lb braid on all setup’s  , all my 10’ & 12’ rigs have 6k reels for line capacity and the 9’s have 4K reels, 30lb leaders always. I’ve only had sharks break me off so far.

Sat i’m gonna do the incoming tide & check the difference up here.
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    Found a few fish yesterday on the island. Smaller fish and definitely more sporadic. Sandfleas was key
    Shut Up and Fish