Flushing yamaha 115 4 stroke after saltwater'

jeffbrownjeffbrown Posts: 17 Greenhorn
Just bought and brought home a Tidewater 19' with Yamaha 115 HP 4 stroke. I see a garden hose connection on the outboard, Would that mean  I can flush the motor with that and don't have to run the engine? or does that just replace the muff I use to use for my Johnson ?

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 370 Deckhand
      The muffler,I believe does a better job because you start the engine,
    so I do that every 5th time.Other times use garden hose hookup 
    because it is easier and while flushing engine can clean boat.Also
    have 4 stroke 115 Yamaha,great engine.
         As my boat mechanic once "All engines will get you out there,
    Yamahas will get you back."
  • mdemottmdemott Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Flush mine every time and use a vinegar and water flush every six months to catch any salt buildup.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 737 Officer
    I do as 10Kman stated but i use Salt away every flush.
    Jason :USA
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    I don't think just putting the hose on it would work as well as actually firing the motor and letting the motor run fresh water through it.     We used to back up to a freshwater ramp after every saltwater use and run the motor on the trailer.    But the water got too low so we stopped.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 328 Deckhand

I think you are fine on the newer motors to use the garden hose flush.  Why else would they make it and say specifically in the manual it is ok to use to flush? 

The only negative thing I hear about not running on the muffs is that the thermostats don't open up on garden hose and flush.  I think with the new ones there is a pinhole or something of that nature to flush via the hose attachment.

With all of that being said I still run mine on the muffs instead.  I also start both of my boats routinely every Sunday to run on muffs.  Turn wheel left turn right.  Up and down on motors (lack of use is the worst thing for any engine)

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • bobbrownbobbrown Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Interesting to know how many hours the respondents have on their engines I have a 115 4 stroke...flushed every time with the garden hose on the engine flush nozzle ... 1200 hours and no problems. Now there’s a real life experience.
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 328 Deckhand
    I have over 1500 on both of my 150 4 strokes 2005
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 593 Officer
    I've been told by a few Yamaha master mechanics that if the engines are run frequently that it's not necessary to flush. My 2-stroke 150's are 20 years old, and I've kept them in the water (salt) for years at a time with no issues. They still run strong, and I haven't had a major repair yet. As to hours, I have no idea as my hour meter quit 15 years ago at 1500 hours. Guess there is something to be said for mixing oil in your gas, or that it's better to be lucky than smart!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,500 Captain
    You can run the motor on the hose connection too, if you don't have an owners manual for the motor you need to get one and read it. They can be obtained on line.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    surfman said:
    You can run the motor on the hose connection too, if you don't have an owners manual for the motor you need to get one and read it. They can be obtained on line.

I'd read your specific owners manual before I followed that advice.  The manual for my 2000 Ox66 clearly and specifically states NOT to start/run the engine while using the hose flush attachment.  I would suspect this is because the hose bib doesn't provide water to the impeller, and that water would be the coolant and lube for the impeller as it spins.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    bobbrown said:
    Interesting to know how many hours the respondents have on their engines I have a 115 4 stroke...flushed every time with the garden hose on the engine flush nozzle ... 1200 hours and no problems. Now there’s a real life experience.
    mine is a 1999 Merc 90 2 stroke, no clue how many hours but it's old.   Thermostat and poppet valve replaced last year, water pump and housing, lower unit oil every season.   rebuilt the carbs 2 months ago, fires up like a champ. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 226 Deckhand
    In the old days when there were no hr counters and no hose connection.,all motors that were kept in the water just stayed  unflushed till the end of the season.  My 1997 V-pro 150 lasted 20yrs that way and finally rusted through it's water jacket.  Ran like a  champ until it didn't.  That great motor never left me stranded or gave me any trouble, Didn't owe me a thing.  I now hose flush my 150 4 stroke and figure it will out live me. LOL
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 467 Deckhand
    hunterjw said:

I think you are fine on the newer motors to use the garden hose flush.  Why else would they make it and say specifically in the manual it is ok to use to flush? 

Exactly.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 518 Officer
    there's a huge difference between old school 2 strokes and the 4 stroke motors.4 stroke motors have more cooling passages - means more water...VERY important to flush 4 motors - using a salt a way flush kit is a very good move ! DO NOT run the motor if you're using the flush port - you'll burn up the water pump impeller zincs !! 4 stroke motors have zincs in the powerheads,these require replacement !
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,500 Captain
    edited April 16 #16
    My 20 hp Yamaha manual doesn't say anything about Not running the motor while using the hose connection, I was concerned about that too. Also when flushing a lot of water comes out of the water pickup through the water pump so I started doing it. I did it because I have another friend that does the same thing on his 90 Yamaha and I asked him about it and he has always done it that way. Not sure what his manual says though. My manual does not say not to. I agree though, read the manual.

The only reason I run my motor is to run out the fuel in the carb so that it doesn't stay in there and dry out.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.