Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Any tips on run to chub cay

Im trying to cross over to chub cay for the first time on 4/19. Ill post reports but if anyone has any helpful tips on crossing or fishing chub i would appreciate it. 

Replies

• Granville98Granville98 Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    1st time crossing.  Make sure you research and put together a "Ditch Bag".  ACR has a nice green waterproof/ floatable one.  It must include a EPRIB or PLB.  Mine also includes the following:  Flashlight, handheld VHF radio, suntan lotion, mirror, flares (over and above the ones on the boat), space blankets, large hunting knife, first aid kit, duct tape, small tarp/canopy, waterproof lighter.  Figure you have 3 worst case scenarios- 1 you are trapped on the boat with no power and are drifting or 2- boat sinks and you are floating or 3-you are shipwrecked on an island.  At least with this equipment, you have a fighting chance.

Who else has some good additions?
  • Plan Sea ChartersPlan Sea Charters Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    You forgot the beer.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,155 Officer
    From where? It's an easy run from south Fla. Check in in bimini or at Cat or chub. But sometimes u have to wait if they are at airport.
    Fish the pocket. Any wind other than west ish is awesome. Don't even need dead bait. All artificials and dolphin are crazy

• The ParkerThe Parker Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Leaving from port everglades figured i would just check in at chub and fish the pocket for the weekend. I appreciate the survival bag info will def pack one since this is the furthest i have gone so far. 
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,800 Admiral
    Check in at Chub no waiting, it's an easy ride, Bring extra meat Chicken, steak or even Frozen white castle burgers the  for Dock master(Tito) as a tip it goes a lot farther than cash, 
    For fishing on the troll lures work but med ballyhooos catch everything there and your nice lures won't be chewed up by the razor gang, this time of the year you might see YFT whites,  blues and sailfish  near the edge fish the falling water
    If you are set up to live bait there are gogs that can be caught after sunrise,  ask Tito where (this is where the meat for him helps)

Tell him Ray from the Savanah said hi
    If you have more questions feel free to send me an IM
  • I know the check in is easier at Chub, but its darn hard to enter the pocket on your way to chub without putting a bait in the water!