Trolling out from the Barge Canal 4/4/18

Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 839 Officer
Went out at daybreak today and the weather was perfect. Just a slight wind most of the morning, until the breeze kicked in about 10am. Still, not bad at all. I hadn't been out recently due to windy conditions, and working on a new (to me) boat. 

Began trolling to the north of the channel above R-12 and began working out offshore. Boated 4 Spanish, all in the 18" to 20" range. This was the first fish caught on this Salty Dawg.

Since the weather was calm, I next ran over to Seahorse Reef. There were more Spanish there, but all were small and released. So after an hour there I picked up and ran to a small wreck in about 25' of water. It was loaded with bait and BIG Little Tunny. On my first pass I hooked up with a double, and landed them both after circling the boat in different directions with both. Those little 12# lever drag reels got a good workout today as I got two more singles. All were in the 15 pound range. I'll have plenty of strip baits for offshore later this spring.

After that I left them feeding and ran back to a rocky area south of the channel. Between a few floating weeds, the ripping tide, and hundreds of crab pots, it wasn't worth the effort. So I ran in to work the hole around the Power Plant elbow. There I got a medium sized King, and released a short Cobia that was about 24" or so. 
I pulled the same three 4" plugs all day. Why change what's working???

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
but I will always respect your right to be wrong!

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
    nice catching 
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,431 Officer
    That was a great day on the water. I have hooked a couple of huge tiger sharks by the wreck at the elbow but they kicked my fanny even on a standup rod. Guess I've never caught little tunny. They look less rounded than bonito I've caught. All great fish to catch that can really burn your reel. thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,246 Captain
    They are the same fish that everybody calls Bonita around here. They're also called false albacore. They have heavier bodies when they get large and fight like crazy. One guy landing a double out by himself is pretty impressive.

How was the fuel burn on your new rig, Pete? Does the 200 have enough power for that hull?
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,329 Captain
    Great day, awsome report.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,825 Captain
    Nice Pete! The new boat did its job. We got out last Monday, caught a pile of under 20 in grouper. No cobia. This wind pattern has kept us in. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,400 Moderator
    Those bonito AKA "boneheads" can stretch a string ! Sounds like it's getting spring like out there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,638 Captain
    Well I see fish blood has christened your "new" boat. I take it the boat performed great?

Good job Pete. Catching those bonitos is a favorite of mine. Like jacks on steroids.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 839 Officer
    edited April 5 #9
    They are the same fish that everybody calls Bonita around here. They're also called false albacore. They have heavier bodies when they get large and fight like crazy. One guy landing a double out by himself is pretty impressive.

How was the fuel burn on your new rig, Pete? Does the 200 have enough power for that hull?

They're also called Fat Alberts along the NC Outer Banks,and False Albacore farther North. The bigger ones are fun on light tackle. I was using 12 pound rigs with 3 feet of 30# mono leader and 6 inches of light single strand wire. I wish we did have real Bonito here, they're good eating. Anyway, they make great strip baits to add to a Drone spoon and pull about 10' up from the bottom with a downrigger.

Fuel burn seemed good. I ran and trolled about 60 miles on 1/4 tank per the gauge. I'll know more after I get the exact figures from the GPS log and I top off the tank again. The 200hp is enough. It cruised at 30mph at 4,000rpm, and 34 at 4,500. I ran it up to 5,400 for about 30 seconds to check to see where it would get  with the 13 3/4 X 19 prop.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,750 Captain
    Sounds like everything went as you planned it Pete!!! It's a great feeling when everything goes right when taking out a new boat and the fish were cooperating, what more can you ask for??!! 
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,386 Admiral

Our bonito are good eating, just get rid of the dark meat along the spine. I'll never throw another one back.

Nice haul!

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,500 Captain
    tankard said:

Our bonito are good eating, just get rid of the dark meat along the spine. I'll never throw another one back.

Nice haul!

Is there anything left?!

I'm going to try one one day.  Just haven't got up enough nerve to do it!
    Yep, a top and bottom loin. A little chewy for sushi but a quick sear and it's as good as blackfin or skipjack. It took me a while too, but now that I've done it more than once, I look at them as a prize catch! Way better than kingfish.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 846 Officer
    tankard said:
    Yep, a top and bottom loin. A little chewy for sushi but a quick sear and it's as good as blackfin or skipjack. It took me a while too, but now that I've done it more than once, I look at them as a prize catch! Way better than kingfish.

Said the guy that doesn't like Pecan Pie.
    Don't do it nick!!!!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,083 Officer
    Well, I tried one. Bled it, cut the blood Line out and placed on ice.?when I got home we froze it for a couple of days before trying. I’m not sure but I might have over cooked it. It was chewy, not too fishy. My wife didn’t like it. I’ll try it again but will cook it the same day. 
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 611 Officer
    Looks like a fun time. WTG Pete
    Freezing it was probably not the best idea, unless you vacuum sealed it. And it sounds like you overcooked it. You want it rare, just like you'd get it in a restaurant.
    Next time, medium rare 
    I like it real rare, like you would get a plate of ahi tuna.
    Will try it next time 
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 892 Officer
    Good to see the new boat is working out! Definitely a nice looking ride Pete! Thanks for the report.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 519 Officer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • TCow86TCow86 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Just wondering if it would be worth trolling around the hook and end of barge canal right now for anything. Thoughts? I know the cobia have showed up but not sure if this area produces any.