Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Paying for college and FAFSA?

fishonfishon Posts: 984 Officer
Let the fun begin.  I am looking for any constructive tips or ideas, to help with costs. I just did a FAFSA4cast, looks like no monies available here. Daughter starts, fall of 2018 we have a prepaid Florida Plan. She plans to stay local to take advantage of the 2+2 prepaid we bought her. But there will be more exspences above prepaid. Where else can we look for help and direction? Thanks
Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
Live in Lakeland

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 16,705 AG
    Is she planning to work part time?   because my daughter works at Publix and they have a tuition reimbursement plan, cut her a check for 1500 this semester.   That was really nice.   She did 2 years at home and is finishing her 4 year degree this fall.   What you need to do is get with her guidance counselor, and get started filling out every single grant, scholarship, anything you can find.   My daughter filled out dozens, and i think she ended up with an extra $500 bucks here and there.  but it's a gigantic PIA, it's time consuming, but if you get financial aid it's worth it.  Good luck!   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    edited March 2018 #3
    Just a thought. Is your daughter ready for college? Mine was not right out of high school. She lost her bright futures money, took a few years off, worked, saved money and traveled.

When she was ready, she returned to school and was on the deans list every semester and earned enough in scholarships to basically cover her schooling through a masters degree. I did cover some incidentals every now and then, and I paid for her housing via a rental home we owned ( I realize that is huge).

Have her apply for every scholarship she can, when she figures out a course of studies. My daughter ended up with a masters in Plant Science and Ecology and in her undergrad would receive numerous scholarships through small plant clubs and garden clubs. To the tune of several thousand a semester. Surely did help.

Good luck to both of you!
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,483 AG
    Make sure she applies for  every scholarship that she is even remotely qualified for.  Each year many scholarships go unclaimed.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 824 Officer
    Soda and fins both correct.  Apply for scholarships, it may be too late for fall admissions.  I have twins and now have over $6,000 for scholarships.  

With the bright futures scholarships it does cover 100% of the tuition and some on books.  One thing to do is apply to be a RA in the dorm, typically state schools pay housing and meals too so it's almost free.

We we started early on the college track and guided our twins starting in the sophomore year to take as many AP classes and Cambridge college classes as possible in HS.  They both have 20+ hours of college credits to transfer.  Hopefully they will have their batcholors in 3 years.

never heard about 2+2 what is that?

Good luck, and by the way no FASFA for me,  all loans.  

• cadmancadman Posts: 43,696 AG
    It has been a very long time since I went to college, but don't they still have financial aid advisers that help you get financial aid. Contact one at the college she wants to attend to help. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• cprcpr Posts: 9,299 Admiral
    Local State schools are $3000 a year for a full time student. Which is covered by your plan. All she has to do for the next 2 years is pay for books. Have her get a part time job and start saving for room and board 2 years from now. Or she can take out loans for the extras for her last 2 years.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • fishonfishon Posts: 984 Officer
    Thanks, all.  Funny, she started Publix 6 mounts ago, we are good with their employee college funds! Like the plant scholarships, she loves gardening. Being an RA is interesting for room and board! Florida prepaid 2+2 is we paid for 2 years community college and 2 year university thus a 4 year package, but it does not cover all expenses.  Thanks for the good info. 
    Live in Lakeland
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 3,843 Captain
    does your daughter know what she wants to do? Passionate about it?

my wife was an oddball, as she knew exactly what she wanted since she was 12.  She then was an RA which paid for housing, and was in orchestra which paid a small grant.
    she then did internships (unpaid) all the time.  
    Eventually after undergrad, she went on for her PHD (skipping masters).  She got a NSF scholarship (science related), which paid a decent salary and for all her school bills.  Very rare to be a PHD with zero bills! 

BUT, she knew exactly what she wanted and went 110% in.  Few people know what they want. 

Anyways, have her try to do lots of internships and find a good, useful career path. (One that won't be outsourced or taken over by computers)
    Thanks, she has no direction or passion. She plans to do general business studies to start. Glad she enjoys Publix employments 
    Live in Lakeland
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    My older son was always interested in college while in high school. Now he's working part time at a Capital law firm and is talking Law School. He also has the Bright Futures scholarship which is nice.

We set up mutual funds when both my boys were born and contributed as much as we could but didn't expect Law School if he goes that route. Younger son is entering his Junior year in HS and is looking in state. Plays baseball and football and hopefully will get an offer from somewhere.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,483 AG
    fishon said:
    Thanks, she has no direction or passion. She plans to do general business studies to start. Glad she enjoys Publix employments 
    Not meant as an insult but she should probably make some career path decisions before paying for college classes especially since finances are an issue .
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    No insult taken.  But how many truly know what they want before entering college? How many change majors tryout college? How many use the degree that they graduated with? In my college days, we went general, to be able to fit more opportunities, thus, happy she is employed and thinking college! Just thinking wishing to make financially less painful. Thanks
    Live in Lakeland
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,644 Captain
    edited March 2018 #14
    fishon said:
    No insult taken.  But how many truly know what they want before entering college? How many change majors tryout college? How many use the degree that they graduated with? In my college days, we went general, to be able to fit more opportunities, thus, happy she is employed and thinking college! Just thinking wishing to make financially less painful. Thanks
    Yep, my oldest daughter got a degree in fashion merchandising of all things from Ga. Southern. She thought she wanted to move to a big city and work for a big company. She tried that and now she's back in South Ga. working and doing very well in a job that provides retirement services to large companies. 
    My youngest daughter is at UGA and went not knowing what she wanted to do. After flip flopping a couple of times she decided on Advertising. She will graduate in December. She pretty much wasted a semester not knowing what she was going to do. They both worked while in school and made good grades. Good luck to your daughter.

"Winners take responsibility, losers blame others"

Megyn Kelly