Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tampa Bay Cobia

Talked with a buddy that had some look with Cobia nearshore during the outgoing tide this past weekend. Anyone else having any luck for Cobia? I know it's a little early and the water is still a little cold..

Replies

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,545 Captain
    wodering if anyone target them with the new regs?? 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,646 AG
    still 33" fork length correct?   1 per day kind of sucks.  but if you're like me and you've caught zero one is better than none
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,003 AG
    edited March 2018 #4
    I never really target them, but they seem to arrive in these parts about the same time as kingfish.  I haven't seen a cobia yet this year.
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #5
    Caught few earlier in the year on the flats - saw a couple monsters.  Haven't seen many on the markers, but I'm 75% kayaking.

• J BoneJ Bone Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Saw one last weekend swimming on the top 65ft out of Clearwater.
  • sas0061sas0061 Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Hmm seems there are just a few fish a head of the pack. Just making sure I wasn't missing any real action.
    edited March 2018 #8
    Wondering if i should make plans for next weekend April 7th-8th to get out there and see what's crackin

BTW does anyone know where you can get greenbacks near St pete?   We launch at O'Neils and they only sell pins.  Have had no luck with pins catching anything in the bay.   Shrimp and greenbacks have always been the ticket but can only get them in Ruskin as far as i know.   I don't like launching at cockroach. it's a long haul. 
    I'm thinking next week will be good, given the warm weather predictions and anticipated warming water temperatures.
    cool so i've got 10 days to learn to throw a castnet.   I can get a pretty god banana out there.  
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 78 Deckhand
    You can sabiki them under the skyway piers
  • fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    cool so i've got 10 days to learn to throw a castnet.   I can get a pretty god banana out there.  
    Keep at it, once ya learn ya don't forget. 
    @fordmag84

Watched a youtube video, walked out to the pool, 3 tries later I can get the stupid thing to open up pretty **** good!  Handed it to the boy, first toss was a nice capital C.    I think between the two of us we can throw the thing a dozen or so times and figuring 7-10 per throw on a good day we should be able to fill the livewell from now on!   Of course throwing from the bow and throwing from a concrete patio aren't the same thing but still, i think it's worth bringing with us and trying. 
  • fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    @fordmag84

Watched a youtube video, walked out to the pool, 3 tries later I can get the stupid thing to open up pretty **** good!  Handed it to the boy, first toss was a nice capital C.    I think between the two of us we can throw the thing a dozen or so times and figuring 7-10 per throw on a good day we should be able to fill the livewell from now on!   Of course throwing from the bow and throwing from a concrete patio aren't the same thing but still, i think it's worth bringing with us and trying. 
    What size net is it? 
    6' at best, it's not very big at all.  Wally world special from probably at least 15 years ago, been sitting in my garage forever.  
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    If you're getting it open at all, you'll be fine.  It may be a little small for the skyway and you need something that will sink fast.. prob not a wally world net.  If you do try the skyway, do it at sunup and sunset, otherwise all you'll mostly get threadfins.  And watch the current (especially on hill tides) and be careful, especially being new to throwing a net, netting bait at the skyway can be harrowing.  You'll need someone at the helm you can trust. 

Otherwise, just look for birds on the flats.  Look around structure when you drive by.  Worse case.  Anchor the boat, walk the flats with your net and you'll do fine on pin fish. 

Oneil's doesn't have shrimp?  They used to.  I don't really buy bait.  There's a new tackle shop right at the Oneil's exit.  Gator Jim's I think.  Not sure if they have live bait but would think they'd have to.  I'll take notice or stop by next time I'm out and about.  Tatums's on 34th St S will have shrimp too.  Can't ever recall a bait shop having greenbacks, maybe things have changed lol.

There was a guy for a while with a barge, with big round tanks, posted up right off the DeSoto ramp selling bait.  You could boat up to him.  Last year.  Not sure if he's around somewhere still. 

To the original poster
    I never really have targeted cobia.  It's usually an opportunity thing.  I do know of a 'honeyhole' where it was known that they sometime hang out at in the bay.  There used to be two of those spots.  Now just one..  Can't quite remem...
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Thanks,  I was planning on either chumming a little on the flats or like you said looking for birds, and checking channel markers, etc.   The bridge is too big/deep/current too strong for me to try i know i'd end up overboard.    You can see schools of bait in and around Egmont so we'll try there too when we do go. 

edited April 2018 #18
    If the net doesn't work.  Try a sabiki.  They work very well around the deeper water around the Skyway.

Water temp in the bay last night was 76 degrees.  I suspect the cobia are around and eating.
    Thanks, we've got sabikis with us at all times.    What i'll do is while fishing with a chum slick just drop it down and put it in a rod holder, if it goes off super.  if not, most of the time we've got bait anyway.   But very happy to be able to throw the castnet.    Won't be buying bait in Marathon this year!  
    edited April 2018 #20
    I tossed the net last night.  If you're happy to be able to throw a net, I could have used you on the boat, as happy thoughts were not among the thoughts I was thinking last night putting it away.  :)

Where you gonna cast the net in Marathon?   I'm hardly more than passingly familiar with the area, but I didn't see many good bait spots the few times I've visited, and thus the question.  PM me if you feel that's more appropriate.   Thanks.
    @Tarponator

no i'm perfectly fine putting my bad ideas on display for everyone.  I was going to head out of Vaca cut on the atlantic side and get into 5-8' of water right on the other side of the sandbar and throw some chum out and wait.   We had pilchars thick on the chum block last year when we were night fishing on the reef, i figured I could throw the net at least a couple times and get a dozen or so.    I know in deep water it won't work as well but we've got sabikis for that too. 

I was also going to head over to the gulf side and again look fro 5-7 ' of water and throw anchor and a chum block and net pinfish.   

IDK if other people do the same thing but I'll give it a try and see what happens. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Ended up stopping in at Gator Jim's and glad I did.  fyi, they carry shrimp including selects.  Sometimes pinners.  Pass crabs during **** season.  Anyways, it's caddy corner from O'neils off the exit and another option for you if you're wantin shrimp Soda.

They are very well stocked.  Have a great selection of frozen bait.  What I thought was great, and maybe old news for a lot of you, is that they had overstock/damaged packing for good reels and rods at great prices.  All have one year warranty.  Sometimes I'm just looking for a cheap setup for a buddy or someone visiting florida.  Now, I know where I'll get it.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    you know i've gotten off that exit a dozen times and never taken a left.  I may have to now.  
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman St. PetePosts: 945 Officer
    I drove around for 2 hours yesterday looking for a cobia on the typical spots I see them. The water was a little milky but Ok vis, we did not find any cobia, couple of TT around though.
    Thanks for the report.  I wasn't able to get over there, weather looked bad on Saturday, and not much better on Sunday.  If i'm gonna drive 180 miles round trip, i don't want to get rained out.   
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman St. PetePosts: 945 Officer
    I drove around for 2 hours yesterday looking for a cobia on the typical spots I see them. The water was a little milky but Ok vis, we did not find any cobia, couple of TT around though.
  • RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 149 Deckhand
    The 620 DAE report last Sunday morning said multiple cobia caught on nearshore artificial reefs.  HAVE to get there early.  
  • Reel Gator 2Reel Gator 2 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    The regs on cobia have changed according to what I heard, its now 37 inches to the fork? Better check.

I don't even try to throw a net under 10 feet...so the sabiki rigs is a better choice for those  unable or inexperienced at net throwing.

You should try Egmont markers and artificial reefs sometimes will hold cobia as well as wrecks, I ALWAYS slice their throats deep as soon as they are in the fishbox to let them bleed out...have a ton of blood in them and taste much better that way and also cut out bloodlines when cleaning.
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 629 Officer
    The regs on cobia have changed according to what I heard, its now 37 inches to the fork? Better check.

Still 33" to the fork, but the limit has been reduced to one per person and no more than 2 per boat.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/cobia/