Fish bites

Has anyone tried them in the swfl area. I like to keep bait on hand as I often fish at the spur of the moment if the tide and water conditions look good. Thanks

Replies

• rngrileyrngriley Posts: 344 Deckhand
    Used for catching bait when offshore. They should work anywhere fish live. Allow a couple of minutes for bites to start dispensing scent
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Thanks I am goinh totry some
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,889 AG
    what the heck are bait bites?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,861 Captain
    what the heck are bait bites?

Scented fish bait kinda like the old pork rinds.                                                                                                                
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    i'll use the google and check em out.   Maybe add them to the chum offering in the keys for added umph 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    i'll use the google and check em out.   Maybe add them to the chum offering in the keys for added umph 
    Don't know if they are cheap enough to use for chum.
    oh really?  then what do you do with them?  
    Add them to your hook, mostly on lures/jigs to put of a scent.
    oh ok gotcha.   I was picturing something the size of a hockey puck you would use in your chum bag as a kicker.    But this is something you would put on your sabiki or lure got it.  
    On the north east coast they use them for surf fishing. I think they would be handy to have on hand. I was hoping to see some at Fishing Franks tent sale last weekend so I guess I will order some
  • ScottaenglundScottaenglund Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    I like to use the shrimp flavor. Great for catching grunts and porgies.  The crab flavor works ok with sheepshead. They were great this winter, when getting live shrimp was difficult. I always keep one or two pouches on board. I don’t swear by them, but they do have their place. 
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    Never used them in SW Florida, I was just doing some recon for an on-foot trip as I'll be visiting the in-laws around Venice on 4/6 & 7 when I saw this post.   I can say that they work well and I like them.  I used to live in Corpus Christi, TX and I live in Tallahassee now and they seem to work great everywhere.

I consider myself an artificial guy, but I almost always have a pack in my bag.  If I am getting stumped I can quickly catch a pinfish or whiting and start working my way up the food chain.  I use them solo but I know a lot of people that tip jigs, spoons or other swimming lures with them. 

Surf fishing I've had everything hit them- reds, black drum, whiting, sheepshead like them and I've even caught a juvie red snapper jetty fishing before.  Pink colored shrimp mostly but I do find that crab-chartreuse and the sand flea scent have their place.

Like with gulp baits, they are indiscriminate and will catch a ton of hardheads, puffers, lizards and other undesirables.  Good for locating fish as well as entertaining small children while being much cheaper and less messy than live or cut bait.

• SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 206 Deckhand
    I used them in bloodworm flavor up in MD. Caught red drum, perch, croaker, spot, whiting, bluefish, striped bass, sea bass, blowfish, sea robin and others. Haven't tried down here
  • Horsemin99Horsemin99 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I use them for pompano in Palm Beach County.   They work so well I do not bother with frozen fleas anymore.  I am going to try them here - it seems like the time of year to get a pompano run out by the Sanibel causeway.

• ScottaenglundScottaenglund Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Serotonin said:
    I used them in bloodworm flavor up in MD. Caught red drum, perch, croaker, spot, whiting, bluefish, striped bass, sea bass, blowfish, sea robin and others. Haven't tried down here
    Funny you said that,  up in Virginia Beach, bloodworm was my personal favorite. Croakers love them.  Down here in SWFL bloodworm doesn’t seem to have the same effect. But shrimp and crab seem to work. 
    Bought some at Wmart today. Cheaper than on line 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,841 AG
    Who knew?   I would have never in a million years have guessed that stuff actually worked.

Thanks for the tips.

Well I have used the fish bites side by side with natural baits so far natural 5 fishbites 0
    This was at my house. Will try another spot. The natural nait was frozen squid