1/1 on Tarpon Monday afternoon...

The juvi tarpon have been mostly absent from my close by spots this winter but I kept checking just to see if they'd come back. Went by my favorite nearby spot yesterday afternoon just to see if anyone was home. Did not see a single fish roll but marked a number of fish on the sonar that I felt pretty sure had to be tarpon for various reasons and decided to fish for a little bit. After being there for maybe 10-15 minutes the fish did start rolling here and there but not tons of them. Maybe 10 minutes later as I was about to pack it in one of these infuriating overgrown herring decided to eat. Managed to land it despite t/m malfunctions in the wind while on the boat alone. Fun times...lol.  I'm guessing it was about 30# +/- and lots of fun on my little spinning rod. I don't know if it was the individual fish, water temperature or something else but the fish only jumped 2 or maybe 3 times with most of the fight being short runs followed by loops around the boat with me in tow.  This makes me 1/3 for 2018.  Can't wait to get another one!  Oh, and as it happens I spotted the first white butterfly I've seen in 2018 on Sunday afternoon.  ;-) 

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,875 Captain
    Nice work!
    They're definitely starting to come down from the rivers and the migrators are SLOWLY starting to come to town.

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 717 Officer
    Heading back in from offshore on monday, I saw at least a 1/2 dozen bigger tarpon free jumping outside boca grande pass.  They are here....
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,640 Captain
    Congrats on finding them
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you