Home General Fishing

1st Keys Trip where to stay?

StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 213 Deckhand
edited March 2018 in General Fishing #1

Hello all.  I have a 1900V pathfinder and was looking on taking a week long trip to the keys for this summers mini lobster season with the girlfriend.   I have never been lobstering and never been to the keys so I don't know what to expect or where to start.  I would like some recommendations on where in the keys to stay for fishing and snorkeling. 

Something that is accommodating for a boat and trailer.  I know there are many options but was wondering what everyone's favorites are for the money.  Something that is not too pricy <$250 a night. 

Thanks in advance! 

Replies

• mik8881mik8881 Posts: 116 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #2
    I hope you know what your in for going down during mini season it’s an absolute zoo getting in and out not to mention the amount of people on the water . We try and go down once a year and avoid lobster season . Jump on Airbnb and check out Key Colony you can find some decent places for the price range you mentioned.  
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 213 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #3

I have no idea what I am getting in to..  Maybe one and done, but something I'd like to experience.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,281 AG

I have no idea what I am getting in to..  May be one and done, but something I'd like to experience.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

i said the same thing 4 years ago. Maybe we'll go once and check it out.     Been going ever since.   One of the few places that every year i have gone it has actually been more enjoyable than the last.    
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 322 Deckhand
    You will love the Keys!  The tough part is finding a room during mini-season.  You will probably have better luck the further south you go, or just wait a few weeks.
  • VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 322 Deckhand
    You will love the Keys!  The tough part is finding a room during mini-season.  You will probably have better luck the further south you go, or just wait a few weeks.  If available, Breezy Palms on Islamorada is a good place to stay with slips.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,001 Captain
    Been visiting the Keys since the mid 80's, so my recommendation would be to avoid mini season like the plague.  I currently spend about 5 weeks in the middle Keys and never start my adventure until after the first week of the regular season is over.  Far too much stress dealing with inflated prices on accommodations & restaurants. Marinas & boat ramps are impossible, and the boaters will absolutely run over your divers if they think they can get to a spot before you.  So much more enjoyable later in the season, and contrary to popular belief, there are still bugs in the holes after the mini
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Hardcore LuresHardcore Lures Posts: 128 Deckhand
    If you have never been to the Keys I would suggest you go at a different time than mini season.  At that time you will not really get a chance to enjoy all the Keys have to offer.  Go at a less crowded time first so you can get the lay of the land, investigate future lodging options, and find places that are likely to hold lobster/fish.  Then, go for mini season and you will be way ahead of the curve when you do mini season in the future.  Been enjoying the Keys since the 70's, but you could not catch me there any more for mini season.
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 213 Deckhand

Thanks for the input, so far Breezy Palms on Islamorada and Key Colony have been suggested.  Any others?

• Dave1Dave1 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Much good info has already been posted. Be aware that many of the better nicer places to stay are booked a year in advance. You can likely find a nice vacation rental house on a canal for the same or cheaper price than many of the motels.  Key Colony in Marathon and the Venture Out Resort on Cudjoe Key have many vacation rentals. Also look on VRBO for vacation rentals.

With a small boat and being new to lobster hunting, the shallower waters on the bay side may be a good starting spot for you. Look for holes, hard bottom, etc. Read the rules! If seas are calm, take a ride out to the one of the reef areas on the ocean side and snorkle around.

There will be slow congested traffic, wait lines at restaurants, food stores, gas stations, etc., but once you get on the water it may all be worth it.  Plan an evening in Key West on Duval Street, Mallory Square, etc.  Lots of night life and things to see there. Enjoy.

Dave  
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Take a look at Edgewater Lodge on Long Key. Not real fancy but great for fishing and finding bugs. 
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 858 Officer
    La Jolla on Islamorada, if there are any left at this point. If you can keep your boat on a trailer at night and find a ramp nearby the Sunset Inn is cheap and perfect for just a place to sleep. Not a resort by any means, but it's walking distance to the Lorelei...
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,281 AG
    Dave1 said:
    Much good info has already been posted. Be aware that many of the better nicer places to stay are booked a year in advance. You can likely find a nice vacation rental house on a canal for the same or cheaper price than many of the motels.  Key Colony in Marathon and the Venture Out Resort on Cudjoe Key have many vacation rentals. Also look on VRBO for vacation rentals.

With a small boat and being new to lobster hunting, the shallower waters on the bay side may be a good starting spot for you. Look for holes, hard bottom, etc. Read the rules! If seas are calm, take a ride out to the one of the reef areas on the ocean side and snorkle around.

There will be slow congested traffic, wait lines at restaurants, food stores, gas stations, etc., but once you get on the water it may all be worth it.  Plan an evening in Key West on Duval Street, Mallory Square, etc.  Lots of night life and things to see there. Enjoy.

Dave  
    Good advice, the one time we went during lobster season, we brought as much food as we could fit in our coolers, only went to Publix one time and only ate out once.    We try to do that every time we go.   We bring steaks, chicken, ribs, side items, booze, beer.    Ice is really one of the only things we need to go to the store for, and milk/eggs.     It's so much easier to have things with you than to go hunting for them when you get down there.  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    I slept on the floor of  Lorelei's once, and they didn't charge me.
    Vote for the other candidate