Skip to main content
Home Boating

Need some opinions to confirm a suspicion

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,407 AG
When I first got the boat 3 years ago we were in the keys, and as i turned the helm to the left, some rust fell out onto the deck.    Since then had no issues.     No grinding or anything.   Saturday put the boat in the lake and went over to the classic boat show in Tavares just to spend the day on the water.   Again helm was making some grinding noises when i turned.   Now i'm a little concerned i may lose the cable.   

Should I go ahead and replace?   Not really seeing any reason not to (other than it's just more money). 
You can't pet a dead dog back to life 

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,701 Admiral
    I would at least look at it. Take it loose from the helm, if cable is rusty, replace. Check your helm unit also. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,407 AG
    Thanks.   Going to do this weekend.   Maybe just needs some grease or something.   
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,774 Captain
    IMO lose the cables and upgrade to hydraulic. If your keeping the cables i know they make an attachment that allows you to grease them.
    Jason :USA
    I'd love to, but the difference in cost is prohibitive right now.   We can swap cables for under $300 bucks, hydraulic is twice that at least.   
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    If you replace the cable consider replacing the helm with the no feed back type. Next best thing to hydraulic 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,366 Officer
    If the steering lets go while you are under way at speed, there will be nothing to prevent the motor from turning hard over. That's a great way to get thrown out of the boat. Find the problem and fix it. It will only get more dangerous if left alone.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    If the steering lets go while you are under way at speed, there will be nothing to prevent the motor from turning hard over. That's a great way to get thrown out of the boat. Find the problem and fix it. It will only get more dangerous if left alone.

Yeah...Sigh, i don't think i really want to risk that.   8 weeks til Marathon, i had almost everything on my punch list knocked out accept new spark plugs and a stern anchor for the sand bar.....    But the thought of one of my kids flying out isn't really something I can bear to think about.   Called Nobles, took measurements, it's a 14' cable, costs about 191 dollars, and i need to either find a tree somewhere or rent an engine hoist to get the motor off the transom so i can change the cable.   
    and about 10 minutes ago I fired off an email to Key West just to confirm the steering cable length, figured I'd hear back from them this week sometime.   Ten....minutes.   Mike Marlow shot me an email back with the answer, and his phone number.   Holy hell customer service with them is as good as I've heard.    
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,305 Officer
    edited March 2018 #10
    natecert said:
    If you replace the cable consider replacing the helm with the no feed back type. Next best thing to hydraulic 

Not even close. Cables are antiques. Anyone still using them has no idea how nice hydraulic steering is. $499 on ebay for Baystar steering system.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,683 Captain
    You can use the tilt to lift the motor up off the transom  and, with help, slide it to the left.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Had the same problem, on a boat I had a while back....sticky one day, completely frozen up the next.....otherwise no indication they were going bad.

Best bet is to  replace, and get the style that allows you to grease via a small zirc fitting...saw that briefly on ship shape tv the other day....

I agree with those who say fix it, don't try to grease .....
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,638 Captain
    All cables go bad eventually. Even the shift and throttle cables. Hydraulic steering is the way to go and lasts a long time.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 3,101 Captain
    You can use the tilt to lift the motor up off the transom  and, with help, slide it to the left.
    floor jack is easier. Or you can drop the front of the boat with tongue jack, put a block between ground and lower unit, then jack front of boat up. Would be better if someone helped.
    Seems kind of sketchy.    
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    I also had to remove my motor when I changed my steering cable. You can rent a hoist from sunbelt equipment for around $75.