03/24/2018 Another snapper trip near offshore

Going to try again for lane snapper trip. SAT. was forecast to be 1 to 2`s  LOL  Craig and Donna have not been on board fishing since before Irma. They enjoy fishing as much as preparing and eating the  catch of the day. Boy are the mornings a cold ride , we all had multi layers on Donna the most last layers of all of us, and Frog Toggs were the last layer.  We went to the numbers that were holding fish the last three times out but had  lock jaw.  Craig was interested to see how the  RHODAN GPS anchor worked, the seas were 1 to 3`s with white caps. I learn something new every time out about how it works and what to do. We set up and dropped our lines in, this time the lanes and grunts were feeding: it was a steady bite.  A couple of times the GPS ANCHOR would loose coordinates it was locked onto because of the wave action and wind The unit would do a 360 degree to get back to the right location but in doing so it would wrap the heavy duty power cord around the shaft and jam the head it would start beeping   to alert us that there was a problem.  Donna and Craig were fishing off the   bow  and heard the beeping and made me aware of it. All we had to do was by  hand unwrap the power cord  and we were back on our number.  Seas calmed so we went to another spot deeper out still inside of 60 ft. same thing bite was steady.  A bunch of bait fish came over the gunnels if you were on a deep water grouper trip looking for bait. My crew needed a rest before the ride back..

Life is good in South West Florida
larrywitt

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,824 Captain
    Good dill
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,118 Officer
    Guess they caught so many fish they needed a rest
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    edited March 2018 #4
    They were a little tired, it is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from their home in South Naples the the marina. We did end up with about 40 or more of the bigger lanes and grunts in the box.  I lowered a  2 hook chicken rig and had doubles on a number of times,one small and one bigger 9 to 10 inch.  The top water temp was 69 degrees.  Lets hope this will be  the back to normal we have been waiting for.
     The beer battered lanes were great.
     larrywitt
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 769 Officer
    the nearshore bite is getting better with the water temps coming up. I miss me some beer battered fish... Im on a low carb diet so beer batter doesnt exactly line up well.  Cheers!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral