Home General Fishing

Fort Lauderdale charters in June?

fishnfishn OhioPosts: 6 Greenhorn
im looking for charter boat suggestions out of Fort Lauderdale, for 3 or 4 people, I’m interested in an 8 hour charter, deep dropping, bottom fishing for grouper, larger snapper, Cobia, etc..not interested in 1 and 2 pound fish. Any suggestions? Thanks, fishn

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    I don't want to be a Debby Downer but you probably won't get what you are wishing for. Anyway, I would check out Art Sapp (Native Son) or Skip Dana (Pop a Top) both out of Pompano Beach.  

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• fishnfishn OhioPosts: 6 Greenhorn
    Are the fish just not out there?
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
    fishn said:
    im looking for charter boat suggestions out of Fort Lauderdale, for 3 or 4 people, I’m interested in an 8 hour charter, deep dropping, bottom fishing for grouper, larger snapper, Cobia, etc..not interested in 1 and 2 pound fish. Any suggestions? Thanks, fishn
    I would stablish with which ever boat you choose that you are not interested in catching a hammerhead or mounting a barracuda or a bonito.
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Also, make sure you make it clear you want an 8hr charter. I booked through Hillsboro inlet twice, and both times, even though I clearly said full day, they only had it booked for 4hr (since that is the standard for SE coast charters). It was by far worst charter experience I've had. 
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    No Vacansea 32 ft openfish 954-632-9340
     check out there website.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    edited March 2018 #7
    fishn said:
    Are the fish just not out there?
    You said you don't want smaller snappers like Yellowtail, Mangroves or Vermilions, hence my answer.

The only "large" Snappers we have are Muttons and they can be tough to catch in the 20" + range off of  Fort Lauderdale. Red Snappers are rarely caught this far south until you get past Key West.

Large  "shallow water" Groupers are also scarce, especially after the first few weeks of the season opening (May 1st).

Cobia, for the most part, have migrated out of the area at this time although it is not impossible to get one but highly unlikely.

Deep dropping, Only large fish would be Golden Tiles , Snowiy Groupers, and Barrels. Snowies are getting extremely hard to catch (again over fishing). Goldens and Barrels, which once were pretty much a given catch if you knew the spots have also become more scarce and the right current and conditions are needed to fish them.

You would probably have just as much chance at a Swordfish as a large bottom fish.
     The best bet, IMO, would be to go with one of the open fisherman boat captains mentioned by me or some of the other members and live bait for pelagics such as Dolphin, Kingfish, Wahoo and Blackfin Tuna. Better chance on a "larger" fish. You can also drop a live bait or speed jig on a wreck and tussle with an AJ if you want to pull on something.

If you want to shoot for the moon, book a Swordfish trip. 

Good luck with your pursuit.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Hardcore LuresHardcore Lures Posts: 128 Deckhand
    conchydong is spot on.