ā€ŗ

Hillsboro 3/23 Late Afternoon / Evening

Went out around 5pm for some Friday night relaxation. Seas were basically flat at 5pm so we hit some of the wrecks south of the inlet for some jigging. Friend got a fat bonita and I wrestled up this amberjack for a photo shoot before sending him back down to live in harmony with his worms. 

There was a decent weedline around 300 - 400 ft with a lot of activity. Birds flying around, tuna busting here or there, etc. After unsuccessfully chasing some tuna, we drifted around the weeds with pilchards out but nothing was interested. I picked up a solo peanut dolphin on a casting jig. Left him in the water but his friends were not home. 

Once the sun went down, we headed toward Boca for some snapper fishing. By then, the wind really picked up and so did the seas. It got rather sloppy out there and with a strong current (3+) that was flowing south, we decided not to waste the chum and just head in relatively early (9pm or so). Still better than being at work. 

Replies

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 447 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #2
    Thanks for your detailed Hillsboro report ...I don't see a enuff of them!

Good job with the AJ....

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,181 AG
    savemejebus said: we decided not to waste the chum 
    I see that big bag of dry chum behind you. I have some too but have yet to try it out. Has it worked well for you?
  • savemejebussavemejebus Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Gary M said:
    savemejebus said: we decided not to waste the chum 
    I see that big bag of dry chum behind you. I have some too but have yet to try it out. Has it worked well for you?
    It works pretty well in conjunction with a frozen block of chum out as well. I notice that it brings the ballyhoo a lot more and closer than the frozen chum by itself. That said, I haven't seen a single ballyhoo out there in at least 6 months. Not sure what's going on with that. 

Back to the chum - lately I've been experimenting with just a big bag of oats mixed with menhaden oil. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the dry chum bag and seems to work just as well. 
  • inmydreamsinmydreams Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Many thanks for a detailed report.  Iā€™m heading out of Ft. Laud tomorrow morning..will post that later...
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 470 Deckhand
    Beautiful AJ man, and Thankyou for your detailed report! 

I will be down in Pompano Beach
    on vacation from April
    3rd -18th. I will be at the Hillsboro Inlet Jetty Fishing Every day that i
    am down there. Hopefully find some nice fish!šŸ˜Š

Success to all your fishing bud! šŸ‘šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,792 Captain
    Good report that AJ would have been headed to the smoker.
  • savemejebussavemejebus Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Good report that AJ would have been headed to the smoker.
    That was the plan for the one we caught a couple weeks ago off the same wreck. It was so loaded with worms that I had to scrap the entire fish (per the wife's marching orders). Didn't want to kill another one for the same result.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,824 Captain
    Good report
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you