Blackfin Tuna

I am trying to add to the list of species caught and have not had success (yet) with Tuna.

Just curious if anyone has heard of any recent catches / depths etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    Yep, just before the temp dropped, I saw a guy come in with one Blackfin out of Redfish Pass.
  • winterbeater89winterbeater89 Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Thank you - any idea how deep it was caught or what it was caught on?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    Sorry, this particular guide would not be happy with me giving any further info
  • HootsterHootster Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Caught Tuna on the west coast as close as 4 miles out in the fall. Find the bait . Go about 12 miles out and further they will be mixed with the bonita. Morning and late afternoon is the best. Last one I caught was in 170 feet.
  • Spearin_fool93Spearin_fool93 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Find the birds(frigates), then you’ll find the bait, then put the plugs and feather way out back, then even farther cause it’s not far enough, and troll around the birds, and when they dive go towards them, have a few jigs ready too
    Thank you!
    Any particular plug you would recommend?  Trolling speed?

Also - do you have a favorite jig?

I often go 50+ miles out of redfish pass to a couple deep grouper “hotspots” and will keep an eye out for the birds.

• Spearin_fool93Spearin_fool93 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Normal speed, any feather, sea-witch, and jig wise the free fall speed jugs are nice...
    Did a quick web search - I found two instances of them being caught in the past week in addition to the one Westwall01 noted - encouraging that they are around.  
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 716 Officer
    in my opinion, blackifn are not really a targetable species on our coast. While we do get them on rare occassion, the east coast of FLorida offers a much higher chance of success.  I have caught them on night trips out in the 170-180 ft range by flatlineing a pinfish on a jig head... and usually those fish are good size, 20 lbs plus... but dont usually see too much in regards to daytime... Best of luck to you!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    Thanks Dan - I hear you on the unpredictability -  but that adds to the challenge - which I enjoy.  My plan is to go after a limit of Grouper and then "use the time out there wisely" by trolling around and looking for birds.   I fish with my family (Boys 5,10,12) + wife and they are troopers - but haven't tried an overnight - yet.  Caught a sailfish offshore from Sanibe2 years ago goofing around - you never know unless you try right?  
  • HootsterHootster Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Always put out two flat lines with live bait while you fish for grouper. 
    Thanks for the flatline comment - I do usually put out 1 flat line.  Do you usually put them out with a balloon? ( I typically do).  Tried to use Blue runner (energy) but they seem to love to circle back to the boat and tangle our lines (3 kids + wife fishing with me) or get snarled around the lower units 
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 229 Deckhand
    I have tried to target BFT with no luck on the troll. Got one on a flat line while on the drift fishing for grouper and another on shrimp while snapper fishing. Both were caught in April.
    Nice fish Nate - do you recall how deep you were fishing when you caught them?
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the flatline comment - I do usually put out 1 flat line.  Do you usually put them out with a balloon? ( I typically do).  Tried to use Blue runner (energy) but they seem to love to circle back to the boat and tangle our lines (3 kids + wife fishing with me) or get snarled around the lower units 
    Trim the tail on the blue runner.  If you get it just right he'll beat like heck and not go much of anywhere.