Roadside ditch alligator hunting

watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 47 Greenhorn
I have searched the web and I can’t find an answer on this anywhere. If I am alligator hunting (permitted, in season, etc) am I allowed to hunt the roadside ditches that we have around? My ideal setup
would be to stalk over the lip to shoot with a bow but I’m unsure if this would be considered shooting from the right of way. If I am not allowed to do that, would those canals be open to hunting if I was in a boat (launch a small jon boat into it). 

Hopefuly i I can get this answered by an LEO, but any other input is also appreciated 

Replies

• RockslamRockslam Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    From the times I've participated when I'm lucky enough to get tags. If you pull "county" tags as long as it is a public  waterway that isn't part of another alligator management area then you can hunt it. As far as from a roadway I am not sure.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,563 Captain
    A bow would NOT be considered a FIREARM although some people would likely call 911 if along a busy roadway.
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    update: Finally got a reply from FWC and they said that I had to refer to the land owner (canals can be private or government owned) and referred me to the county appraisers office to determine ownership. The canals that I wanted to hunt were marked as "South Florida Water Management", so I contacted them about access. I got a call back from a very nice guy who explained that the canals show up as SFWMD on tax documents because they are tax easements but are still owned by the landowner, so permission would have to be granted from the landowner to hunt the canals.