60 Miles Offshore Grouper Report

Went 60 miles straight out of Ft Myers on Sunday morning and was greeted with flat calm seas. First we stopped at a spot around 45 miles out in 83 feet of water, was marking a lot on the bottom but nothing was biting so we moved out to 60 miles and 113 feet of water.

Once we got there the action was insane. We were getting 3 to 4 keeper red grouper at the same time. The biggest of the day was 31", my wifes biggest so far. She also caught a 29.5".

We ended up getting out limit within 5 minutes (all 4 poles went off at the same time and they were all keepers)
We continued to do the drift a few more times and ended up throwing back at least 12 more keepers that were up to 27". 

We saw all kinds of wind life also including 3 types of dolphins (bottlenose, spinner and Atlantic spotted). Along with the usual turtles. But something we saw that has not happened to us yet was a school of 50+ Amberjack came right next to the boat. If I had a gaff I could have stuck one thats how close they were (although I would not do that)

Only bait we used were sand perch on chicken rigs.

Please check out the video below.

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,640 Captain
    Good dill, great job and vid.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Thanks! I am going to get a head mount for the camera so the camera work is a lot better. Whereever I am looking the camera will be pointed. Will also free up a hand so I can net better and just do everything better.
  • stallan54stallan54 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    When are we buddy boating??  
    stallan54 said:
    When are we buddy boating??  
    Whenever these cold fronts stop coming through we can figure something out. The next couple weeks don't look good.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,857 Captain
    Looks like a great time was had.

Well done.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 315 Deckhand
    About 30 years ago I was twice as strong and half as wise as I am now. One day I free-gaffed a 40 pound jack. Thought I’d be pulled overboard and drowned if I held on, and was sure I’d be tossed overboard and drowned if I let go of my Dad’s gaff.
    There are some things you just ought not try....😂
    About 30 years ago I was twice as strong and half as wise as I am now. One day I free-gaffed a 40 pound jack. Thought I’d be pulled overboard and drowned if I held on, and was sure I’d be tossed overboard and drowned if I let go of my Dad’s gaff.
    There are some things you just ought not try....😂
    Yeah I would not try that. I just don't see it ending well no matter what  :D
  • HootsterHootster Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Remember beyond the 20 Fathom boundary is closed.
    edited March 2018 #10
    Hootster said:
    Remember beyond the 20 Fathom boundary is closed.
    Yup I am well aware and have the 20 Fathom line marked as a route in my Simrad so I know exactly where its at when looking at the chart. 

Thank you for mentioning that though, a lot of people do not know about this.
  • nickmonickmo Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    As usual, great video. 
    nickmo said:
    As usual, great video. 
    Thanks man! Things were pretty chaotic so it was hard to film a lot of it. Going to get a head mount so I dont have to hold it.
  • NailerNailer Posts: 301 Deckhand
    Love it, Love it, Love it.  So refreshing.  great job with the ladies.
  • ScottaenglundScottaenglund Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Outstanding day!  Noce work
    Outstanding day!  Noce work
    Thank you. Hopefully soon can get back out there and get on them again!