03/19/2018 Elusive snapper ,grunt, porgy bite in side, 20 miles out of redfish pass 60+ depth.

Frank and I Decided once again to hit the numbers that have been good through the  years for spring snapper mixed bag of fish that include hog fish ,muttons,nice mangs without running 30 plus miles out. This is our third try brought an ice chest of frozen chum.  Brought the usual baits.  Awhile back a diver told Frank while diving the bottom temps were in the low 60`s even though the top temp were mid 70 degrees. Frank brought his bottom water temp gauge to see what we were having at our numbers. Sure enough top temps were in the  mid 70s  to 74 or 5  the bottom temps were in the low to mid 60`s,  This could be why the close in numbers are not  as productive, my records show upper 70 to low 80`s,  when we had our best days . All these cold fronts just keep on coming.

WE would motor to a number  when close lower the RHODAN  when we had a good show I would hit the anchor mode. I would shut down the ETEC, momentum would take us past the show. The GPS anchor mode would kick in,  circle us around so we were right over the show on the bottom  facing into the waves or  current which ever was stronger and hold us spot on.
 Yes we did catch fish, 2 nice triggerfish shorts a load of red shorts, blue runners on every drop, small keeper lanes.
 I guess we will doing deeper runs from now on till the the temps change.
larrywitt  

Replies

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 717 Officer
    nearshore bite has been very slow this year, likely like you said due to the cold fronts and water temps. looking forward to a warm spell!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,101 Officer
    edited March 2018 #3
     Well I'll tell you Larry the weather was fantastic we couldn't of asked for anything better day was beautiful when was minimal shoes for almost flat it was beautiful the fish very slow you hit it right on the head but I'll tell you watch that Rodan'is fantastic , i'm really considering selling one of my motorcycles to get one of those for my boat whole lot better than Lift in a anchor 567 times a day and it put you right where you wanna be right on the spot will do it again maybe will go deeper and see what happens thanks for the trip
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
    Dang we need a edit on the bar
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,610 Moderator
    edited March 2018 #5
    Hey Frank left side by your picture click on the gear. It is there. Your welcome LOL.
    There are a lot of people who would like to drop their banker over board but 576 times is  a   stretch. 
    edited March 2018 #6
    It's not working
     :'(