Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Weeki Wachee advice requested.

Hi everyone,
I'm a NW forum member and my wife and are headed to Weeki Wachee April 1-8.  I've gotten a bit of information from the Big Bend section, but wonder if I might get more response here since it might be too far south for many of them.

I'm not looking for secrets, just some basic information about how to target and where to start looking for fish in the area.  I'm bringing my Carolina Skiff JVX18 so I can fish shallow.  We've rented a house on the river that is about a mile and a half from the Gulf.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I can reciprocate with some help inshore or offshore around Carrabelle and Lanark if it's ever needed.

Thanks and have a great day,

Brad
Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 181 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #2
    River is VERY crowded with kayakers. You might be okay being 1.5 miles from gulf. I tried it once in my 19' skiff and decided never again due to all the traffic on the river. Can't help much on areas to fish, but I will suggest launching/pulling at Bayport Park instead of fighting the sea of kayaks and paddleboards in the river.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,993 Captain
    edited March 2018 #3
    Thanks!  Fortunately, the house we've rented has kayaks for use as well.
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Wow are you in luck! The Cobia run should have started by then! 4-5 foot of water covered with seagrass. Set up a drift or power pole down and look for southern rays moving south or north. 8 times out of 10 there will be one or two cobia trailing them picking off spooked pinfish or eels and crabs. I throw sinking mirrolures at the rays and the cobia will pick it up. It is a very quick reaction on your part when you see the rays. Cobia look like little sharks so if you think you see a shark cast to it! 15-20lb braid with a 30lb floro leader 20-30 inches long. You can also throw pinfish or small crabs at them (they love crabs). 1 hint - leave 1/4 inch on your tag line of your knots. These things pull so hard they will pull the tag end though the knot. Also tire them out before you bring them in the boat!! They can do a lot of damage to gel coat!

I am jealous -- good luck! Remember new regs. 1 per boat per day 33" to the fork
    Thanks, Eric.
  • DangerRanger56DangerRanger56 Hudson FLPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    Great cob advice Eric the only thing I do differently is I throw a doa shrimp or a bubblegum worm or ell and the love that bubble gum also weeki is rocky watch out for the prop finders they are everywhere but if you stay back from the rocks and oysters around devils rock yard there are some good reds and a few snook in the canels good luck on your trip familyfisher
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,677 AG
    Eric B said:
    Wow are you in luck! The Cobia run should have started by then! 4-5 foot of water covered with seagrass. Set up a drift or power pole down and look for southern rays moving south or north. 8 times out of 10 there will be one or two cobia trailing them picking off spooked pinfish or eels and crabs. I throw sinking mirrolures at the rays and the cobia will pick it up. It is a very quick reaction on your part when you see the rays. Cobia look like little sharks so if you think you see a shark cast to it! 15-20lb braid with a 30lb floro leader 20-30 inches long. You can also throw pinfish or small crabs at them (they love crabs). 1 hint - leave 1/4 inch on your tag line of your knots. These things pull so hard they will pull the tag end though the knot. Also tire them out before you bring them in the boat!! They can do a lot of damage to gel coat!

I am jealous -- good luck! Remember new regs. 1 per boat per day 33" to the fork
    Eric why do you have to get me all hot and bothered to go catch a cobia again.  I've struck out the past two years in a row, now I want to try for the trifecta 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    Had a blast last week in Weeki Wachee.  Managed to fish a couple of days and stretched the string some.  Short trout and short cobia, but a 30" cobia on trout gear is FUN!  The river and area a beautiful with restaurants a plenty.  We'll be back.  Thanks for the info shared here.
  • TysonfishTysonfish Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    How far out did you run for the trout/cobia?

i was just past the bird rack.