Shark Techniques?

I fish on my Mako center console out of San Carlos Island area.  I have no idea how or where
to fish for shark.  Any help would be greatly appriciated. BTW, slayed trout yesterday on clear DOA shrimp
with popping cork.  Thanks

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,700 AG
    It's best to fish for other species like snapper, and then the sharks will find you. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 769 Officer
    This time of year isnt ideal for sharks, but we are coming up on prime time.  As the water warms, fish around the passes with large cut bait. Stinky things, like Barracuda, Mullet, Ladyfish, Bonita, etc.  Summer time there are more sharks along the beaches and passes than you can imagine.  Areas like Boca Grande Pass can hold exceptionally large Bull Sharks and Hammerheads as they are chasing the Tarpon. Good Luck!

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • dktoothdktooth Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Thanks Dan.  My 8 year old grandson would be thrilled to hook up with one.
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 198 Deckhand
    The one's I've caught have been off a floated or flat lined chunk bait while fishing for other fish on reefs. It has worked for 3ft blacktips and a 4ft sandbar and kingfish and a gag and a few breakoffs. In a few weeks i plan on doing what Dan suggested 
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    I think if you pull up on a deep channel right off of a nice turtle grass flat and put out fresh cut ladyfish, mackerel, jacks, etc you will have plenty of smaller sharks to catch anywhere in the 2-5ft range. This is especially true in the summer. Pine Island sound is excellent for this type of fishing but Estero bay is great also. Those are manageable sizes for the most part and a little easier to deal with if you have not caught many before.  You can catch those on spinning tackle as long as the set up is beefy enough and its much more fun to catch them on spinning gear. 

You can also drop those baits directly into a deep pothole right in the middle of the flat. I have had a lot of success with both tactics and routinely caught sharks doing this. Sometimes you have to wade through a few kitties to catch the sharks but it is worth it. I have caught sharks as well while trying to catch redfish on freelined cut ladyfish and pinfish chunks in those potholes on the grass flat. The last occasion my buddy pulled out a 32" redfish on a cut pinfish 10 minutes after I caught a 3-4ft nurse shark on a cut pinfish. Both fish caught out of the same pothole only minutes apart. 

Of course if you are targeting sharks match your tackle accordingly, wire leader or cable, circle hooks, etc. If you want any help with rigging shoot me a PM. 

Last thing, if you want bigger sharks focus on the passes and off the beaches late afternoon, evening, or nighttime and use bigger baits and bigger tackle. While fishing off the beaches in the summer lots of fisherman jump and land tarpon too while fishing for sharks. You want smaller sharks? Then stay closer to the grass flats in the back. I think the best shark and tarpon cut bait without question is freshly cut spanish mackerel. I have yet to be skunked while using one. They have always produced sharks or tarpon. I've been skunked plenty of times on everything else! 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised