Swallow Tailed Kite

ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,922 Captain
My favorite raptor.
Jim

Replies

• nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer
    What is he eating?
  • JWTJWT Posts: 417 Deckhand
    one of the coolest birds on the planet. they don't even land to eat!  we didn't get many here last year.......
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,922 Captain
    nole76 said:
    What is he eating?
    A young dove that was picked out of the nest.  They eat on the fly!

JWT said:
    one of the coolest birds on the planet. they don't even land to eat!  we didn't get many here last year.......
    I see them fairly fairly often in S.W. Florida at this time of year.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,069 AG
    Scoutboat said:
    nole76 said:
    What is he eating?
    A young dove that was picked out of the nest.  They eat on the fly!
    Yes they do. This one was probably taking on a grasshopper of sorts above the peanut fields.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,834 Captain
    I don't know about FL but in GA the game wardens want you to report it if you spot one.  I've never seen one in S GA.
    stc1993 said:
    I don't know about FL but in GA the game wardens want you to report it if you spot one.  I've never seen one in S GA.
    I live in S.W. Florida on Cape Haze, I've never seen one in more populated areas north of here.
    Beautiful bird!  
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,069 AG
    Just had two over the house this morning. Just north of Cedar Key.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    we had good numbers 2 years ago, more than i have ever seen concentrated........... got to watch a lot of their feeding activity & learned a lot about them. only seen a couple this year & no photo ops. such cool birds- i miss them.

this one just snatched a frog out of the tree top (from 2016)
    JWT said:
    we had good numbers 2 years ago, more than i have ever seen concentrated........... got to watch a lot of their feeding activity & learned a lot about them. only seen a couple this year & no photo ops. such cool birds- i miss them.

this one just snatched a frog out of the tree top (from 2016)

Nice photo, JWT!!!!!
    What's your location???
    Jim
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,618 Captain
    Cool pics
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,618 Captain
    stc1993 said:
    I haven't either. See a few every year on the river cruise. Usually between Bristol and Apalachicola.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    i am in Everglades NP for these. seeing very few of these again this year. much has changed after the storm... i have found some other cool stuff tho...
    Everglades City??
    Nice little town!
    Been to the "Ore House" restaurant.  
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 376 Deckhand
    See quite a few in the Jupiter/ Hobe Sound area
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,969 Captain
    That is a great raptor. Haven't seen one in a few years.
    30-40 years ago, I used to see Everglades Kites also. Due to their limited diet of mostly Snails, I doubt if there are many left. As the POTUS woulld say "sad".

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Black GnatBlack Gnat Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    See one or two around my house in Gainesville, most recently 5/9. Have seen one at Suwannee Town.
    The last one that i've seen was early this week in East Englewood.
    There's a large Charlotte County reserve not far from there.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,143 Admiral
    I see them here in spring late spring quite often.  Saw one the other day.  They are a cool raptor!

Captain Todd Approves

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,834 Captain
    I've read that for every bird you see in FL our grandparents saw 10.
    That just seems like a weird thing to say.  Yeah, I get it, the bird population is down 90%.  It just sounds funny like if I see a bird sitting on my fence, my grand parents would have seen 10 sitting there.

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    That just seems like a weird thing to say.  Yeah, I get it, the bird population is down 90%.  It just sounds funny like if I see a bird sitting on my fence, my grand parents would have seen 10 sitting there.
    Seems that way.
    Some raptors (like the Bald Eagle) are making a comeback.
    Others (like the Swallow Tail Kite) have been in decline because of loss of habitat.
    Blame the developers for that.
    Jim
    It just sounds like a funny thing to say.  Like I imagine instead of a pair of birds tending a nest, I picture my grandparents seeing 20 birds tending a nest  :D

Captain Todd Approves

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,521 Captain
    I'm seeing a lot more Swallowtail Kites in Polk & Hillsborough than in years past. Not sure if pop is expanding or what. Must be a count somewhere that sheds some light on population numbers. I hear Everglades Kites are actually being seen a lot more on the Kissimmee River south of Orlando expanding range. One species I'm seeing more of than when I was a kid is the Sandhill Cranes. BTW - great pics of the buntings!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    they are very scarce here lately....... only a couple scattered sightings.... 
    From what i read about them, they spend most of their time in Central and S. America, coming north to breed.
    Loss of habitat seems to be the limiting factor in the U.S.

I'm seeing a lot more Swallowtail Kites in Polk & Hillsborough than in years past. Not sure if pop is expanding or what. Must be a count somewhere that sheds some light on population numbers. I hear Everglades Kites are actually being seen a lot more on the Kissimmee River south of Orlando expanding range. One species I'm seeing more of than when I was a kid is the Sandhill Cranes. BTW - great pics of the buntings!
    Swampy,
    We see many resident Sandhill Cranes in S.W. Florida.
    Many migrate from the upper mid west to Southern states.
    There's even a hunting season for them in some states.
    Dang!!!!
    Jim
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,552 Captain
    Saw one cruising the Wakula River back in April. They are for sure beautiful birds. Love to watch them.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    jcbcpa said:
    Saw one cruising the Wakula River back in April. They are for sure beautiful birds. Love to watch them.